Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Rotor Blades

Rotor Blades R/C Helicopter Rotor Blade Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade for 'scale' training

With a view to getting into scale heli's as and when the skills achieve the correct mark I've now moved from an Align 450 to a 690SX V2.

Anyone care to throw out blade suggestions. Most of the blades I look at seem to be almost totally geared to 3D - I have no interest whatsoever in 3D / Smack although I'm interested in F3C to some degree but scale is my goal. I'm not nearly good enough yet to put a 2k+ model in the air, following the advice of other scale flyers I'm honing the skill set on something a little less 'fragile' and costly to fix.

I figured blades for F3C would be the more appropriate - maybe they aren't this whole blade selection thing seems very personal. It looks like the standard Rototechs that come with the 690 are pretty well respected. Many say get a blade that suits your flying style - well if I try everything that's available I could build the scale machine with what it will cost to try every blade combination out there.

I am not an aggressive flyer, I prefer accuracy and precision over frantic and sloppy, I'm looking to extend the time in the air as much as possible, I need a blade that will be good at low head speeds.

Any other suggestions for a Logo 690 (running Scorpion 370k) but the plan is to configure for low head speed 1100 to 1500, maybe lower. I currently fly the Skookum 720BE controller.
Ben Kenobi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running Rail 696s and KBDD 690s on both my 600se s and both fly
very sweet at LHS. I am sure lot of blades out there will also, but can tell
you those two for sure. I regularly (but not exclusively), run 6s in them, one
w. 500 and one w. 450kv, both 11t, and although I don't fly scale, I love flying
scale-like at some point each flight. And IMO, they do VERY well at that.

Also run Radix 710s on the Goblin w. 6s, believe those blades ARE FAI
style anyway, but also very nice smooth stuff w. those.

Yeah, I like to throw it around a bit, ok quite abit, but the heavy 3D/smack
................yeah I will leave that to all the others also
bikneli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks,

I've ordered some Rotortech 690's, some RJX and some Switch for now, I've stuck to 690mm.

I saw some Spin Assymetric that I'd like to try but nobody seems to have them in stock here in the UK.
Ben Kenobi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
Thanks,

I've ordered some Rotortech 690's, some RJX and some Switch for now, I've stuck to 690mm.

I saw some Spin Assymetric that I'd like to try but nobody seems to have them in stock here in the UK.
I'm on my last set of Spin Assymetrics on my FPV rig. Ordered 2 sets directly from them towards the end of August since they were in stock on their website, but after a week of not even an acknowledgement I realized something was wrong because they used to be very good with shipping times. Contacted them and "sales@spinblades.com" said I never paid, which contradicted Paypal and the missing $80 from my bank statement. Dispute filed with Paypal on my favor since they didn't even reply to them.
It's a shame. I liked their blades on my 450X, but there's a chance they're officially going extinct.
ignaceous is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

rippit.com has great monthly specials on Spin blades. They ship reasonable rates. For US, the exchange rate is good too! I've bought from them several times for scale asymmetrical blades, but they also have various sizes of 2 blade sets as well. Terry
Tapgorup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like scale, but not the cost.
I recently cheated and got an old raptor .50 and put it in a scale fuse. Project total cost around 650. It's kind of a one and done if it crashes...
A lot cheaper than 2k though.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Ben:

I am running the newest 710mm Rotor Tech blades on an MD7 with rotor speeds in the 1000 to 1200rpm level. They work great. I have had many long conversations with Phil Noel of Leisure Tech in BC, Canada, about the differences in symmetrical and asymmetrical blades. His thoughts go to using symmetrical blades as they generally perform better than asymmetrical blades do for the purposes of scale flight and most certainly for F3C competition. My own experience has proven his advice is very good. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapgorup View Post
rippit.com has great monthly specials on Spin blades. They ship reasonable rates. For US, the exchange rate is good too! I've bought from them several times for scale asymmetrical blades, but they also have various sizes of 2 blade sets as well. Terry
Thanks for this info. I've been using every google search I could come up with to find a retailer with better deals than buying from the manufacturer directly, but google always failed to bring this store up. Now I can get 2 sets of blades delivered for less than what I used to pay for one set - before delivery.

Thanks again
M-
Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 350's delivered

It appears rippit.com isn't a hoax. Just got these delivered from Australia in less than a week. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	350s.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	689691  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

You'll like the regular Switch blades. They're extremely smooth and stable, perfect for scale/sport.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
You'll like the regular Switch blades. They're extremely smooth and stable, perfect for scale/sport.
They're quite pricey for being regular blades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in