Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Beam > BEAM E4

BEAM E4 BEAM E4 Factory Support Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jetleaf
  • 1 Post By Jetleaf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Beam E4.8 Acro build completed

I finally finished the build of my 480 Acro. I should have been done with it weeks ago but .......life. The build went without a hitch. All the parts were there and the manual was pretty easy to follow. The only problem encountered was four of the ball links included in the kit split when the linkage rod was threaded into them. Luckily I had a supply of ball links in my E4 parts bin. If you get this kit you might want to order some extra links. This heli has turn buckles for the swash to blade grip arms which made blade pitch adjustments a snap. The tail box is a thing of beauty and is the smoothest heli tail I've had on any of my helis.

The electronics I went with were KST MS325's on cyclic and the KST MS565 on the tail. These are the coreless, contactless, hall effect sensor servos. I used the Hobby Wing 60 V4 ESC with an X-Nova 2618-1580 motor. And the IKON 2 flybarless which was fairly easy to setup with the help of the IKON setup thread in the Brain flybarless forum.

The maiden hover was as good as it gets. The heli lifted off and hovered nice and stable. No wobbles or pitching tendencies. Just a rock solid heli. The cyclic is a little sensitive for my dumb thumbs but a tweak of the cyclic settings will tame it to my skill level.
I've uploaded some pics,and will be adding more in my gallery here https://www.helifreak.com/album.php?albumid=485

A couple of guys were interested in the weight of this heli. Ready to fly with a battery pack is 1080 grams. This is with a 6s 1300 Venom pack. Weight without the pack is 846 grams. Not to bad for a 450 size heli with 360 mm blades. By comparison my Gaui X3 weighs 894 grams without a battery pack and 1257 grams with a two 3s 2200 mah packs in series.
This is a great heli and if it lasts as long as my V1 E4, which i bought in 2008 and still fly, then I'll be pretty happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161011_162415.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	675482   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161012_174042.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	676101  
trillian likes this.

Last edited by Jetleaf; 10-18-2016 at 11:17 AM..
Jetleaf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in the market to build my first "premium" heli. I have had great success with a 450 clone and I enjoy it, but I'm looking to add to my little hangar. I am seriously considering the Gaui X3 but this new Beam caught my eye. How does it compare to a Gaui? How does it compare to helis that swing the same size blades like a 450L Compass etc.. ?
Unihiron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Arrow Looks Great.

Great job! What a well built machine.

Thanks for sharing. This is really motivational for the BEAM faithful. Appreciate you sharing your electronics choices as well.

onepiece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have the Gaui X3 also and both helis fly great. The Beam is a better engineered design in my opinion. The quality of the parts and fasteners is also a step above those on the Gaui. I just prefer aluminum over plastic. The tail on the Beam is a work of art and has the smoothest pitch slider I've encountered. Also, I don't care for self tapping screws that thread into plastic for obvious reasons. I would still buy the Gaui because it does fly very well and parts are more readily available here in the U.S. although parts for the Beam are available they still have to come from Korea. Ive had no issues getting parts. In fact anything Ive ordered has been on my door step in 2 days. Shipping costs are around $23.00. I also have an original V1 Beam E4 with flybar that was purchased in 2008 that I still fly. If you plan on keeping your heli for several years the Beam will last.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you one piece. I wish Beam was more popular in the states as they make some great helis.
flyinggoose likes this.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your reply. That's promising to hear. One final question. You have bad a Beam Heli since 08, how do they handle crashes? If you have had good experiences with their shipping, it's worth the little extra investment over a Gaui.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine has survived quite well to have lasted all this time. It has had tis share of parts replaced, main gears, main shafts and feathering spindles, tail shafts, blades, flybars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in