Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering

Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Aerodynamics, Physics and Engineering Discussions

Old 04-26-2016, 04:50 AM   #1
chumbuks
Registered Users

Smile Researching Physics Behind Helicopters

Hi Everyone,
I'm a student in the IB program, and I have to do an investigation on how helicopters hover, and the relationship between the frequency of the blade and the mass of the helicopter.

So to do some experiments, I have to be able to attatch masses onto the helicopter. My question is do RC Helicopters have a method to change the frequency of the blades? For example if i add weights onto the helicopter, will the frequency change by itself?

I have also read somewhere that you can manually change the frequency of the blades by changing the motor power supply.

I'm quite new to all this, so excuse my lack of knowledge, and any help would be appreciated
chumbuks is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Creaky Cactus
HF Support

Yes. The term we use for the "frequency of the blades" is "head speed" and since we can control the pitch of the blades, we can alter the head speed dramatically, and still hover the helicopter.

For example, you could alter the mass of the helicopter, and set the head speed (blade rate), and we would adjust the pitch of the blades to achieve a hover. This can be done very easily within the flight envelope of the helicopter.
Helis and MRs wrecked while-U-wait since 2008-05-27
Creaky Cactus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:49 AM   #3
npomeroy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Have you already built/flown model helicopters? If not, you may need advice on a suitable type to buy. Plenty of advice here but we need to know your starting knowledge-skill-budget!

Regards
Nelson