Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
EKron
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Marquez 93 tribute canopy (lotta pics)

Okay, I've done another one! Sure, I could post some pics in the sticky above but this one was more of a project than a paint job and I just want to show some of the things that can be done, however unconventional they may be. Maybe someone will be inspired?

So, as a massive fan of MotoGP, the premier level of world championship grand prix motorcycle racing, I wanted to do something in tribute to my love of this sport and to its latest phenom, Mark Marquez. Born in Spain and now just 21 years old, last year in his rookie year in the top class Marquez broke the 27 year old record as the youngest rider to ever win a GP and Freddie Spencer's record as the youngest rider to ever win the world championship. This season, he has won ten out of eleven races and sat on pole for 9 of those.

I began this project with a Tarot Ironman Goblinesque wraparound canopy and boom cover for the 450 Pro. I got this when they first came out for $35 bucks.

Knowing upfront this wouldn't fit my 450 SE V2, I also ordered a complete piece of crap $4 dollar canopy with the thought of somehow merging them.

She no fit, mon.

With my trusty and well used Dremel 4000, surgery was begun. I first cut off the bottom of the cheapie donor canopy then the too narrow and short bottom of the Ironman canopy.

Genius at work here! Brilliant! Now what?

Next was to prepare the Ironman canopy for paint and bonding to the bottom. This was the most frustrating and time consuming ordeal imaginable because the design on the canopy wasn't paint. It was very thick and impossible to remove stickers. Here's a shot of the boom and some of the debris I ended up scraping most off with a razor blade. 80 grit sandpaper wouldn't cut through this crap by hand or with a powered palm sander. It was a mess and took forever to get smooth enough to paint.

I never did get all of it off the canopy but with a lot of sanding and multiple primer coats got it to where it was good enough to start on. I used fiberglass cloth and resin to join the top and bottom together. It took several times of sanding it down to get it thin and light as possible, more fiberglassing and more sanding. Lots more.

I gave up on the boom cover. It was very flimsy and none of the modifications I tried would get it to mount to my SE V2. I did make a mold of it out of plaster and maybe sometime in the future, may try again?

At any rate, I cut my logos and numbers on my Silhouette plotter and started painting. Now, this is a combination of elements of the Repsol Honda livery going back many years and is more of a stylized representation rather than an accurate copy of the current design in case anyone wants to nit pick.

Along the way, I had tried something with the cockpit area that really didn't work out. I figured there was nothing to lose so I masked it off with my Oracal paint mask and attacked it with abrasives. I'm showing this step and how I recovered to encourage folks trying their own paint jobs to not give up.

Honestly, I didn't think this ;repair would work.

But it did! Here are some views of the finished product.

Actually fits too. This is a Sport V1 I'm slowly putting together

In spite of the serious sanding I did trying to fix the cockpit area, it is glassy smooth. You can even see my yard and the sky!

To finish it off, I put some of the Gaui magnetic formula canopy thingys to hold the back together.

It's different. It's unique. It's me!

--Elisabeth
Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
WI_Hedgehog
Registered Users

Default Tribute Canopy

I love the simplicity and clean lines, another work of art! I love the lines, someone finally made that canopy look good (although with a LOT of hacking).

(Maybe you could round the lid a bit on Das Helivagen and give it the same treatment!!!)

Have you ever considered replacing the canopy arms with threaded shafts, thread-locking a short rod in, putting a grommet in the canopy, and airbrush a cap nut to match the canopy while spraying it?
WI_Hedgehog is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
farquward
Registered Users

Default Repsol canopy

Nicely done! You've inspired me to do a Rossi canopy this winter.
farquward is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
Sherer46
Registered Users

seriously rad. I'm a huge motogp fan too (guess where the 46 in my username comes from)
I would love to do a rossi helmet scheme or classic repsol fairing scheme like yours. nice work!
Sherer46 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
guyguerra
Registered Users

I'm am new to painting, and your thread is very inspiring. Can you tell me about the decal procedure and what type of clear coat your using? I've thought about buying a printer for stencils and decals, but don't know what is a good one, and if I'll use it enough. I'm using Wicked paints, and they make a clear coat, but it doesn't look near as good as yours.
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
EKron
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyguerra View Post
I'm am new to painting, and your thread is very inspiring. Can you tell me about the decal procedure and what type of clear coat your using? I've thought about buying a printer for stencils and decals, but don't know what is a good one, and if I'll use it enough. I'm using Wicked paints, and they make a clear coat, but it doesn't look near as good as yours.
Thanks! On this particular job I didn't use decals. What you see is all paint.

Making water slide decals is easy if you have an inkjet printer and some sort of graphics program to work with your images. You do need to use special decal paper though. Testor's makes some with white and clear backgrounds and some hobby shops carry it. Googling decal paper will find lots of online sources.

I have a vinyl plotter that cuts stencils and use a specific paint masking vinyl. Look for several of my other threads in this section for more info.

For clearcoat, I use a two-stage urethane product from Advantage. This is a professional product that runs about fifty bucks a quart and deadly to breathe so an appropriate respirator is mandatory.

Good luck with your painting. I haven't had time at all to do anything else lately.

--Elisabeth
Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
guyguerra
Registered Users

EKron, thanks for all the good tips. I'll post my first (maybe my second instead LOL?) canopy.
Logo 800 // Logo 700 12S/14S// Logo 690 // Logo 400 // Mostro 700E's// Whiplash 700E// Gaui NX7 // Gaui NX4 // Gaui X4 // Gaui X3 //Goblin 570 // Trex 250 // TBS Discovery /Naza M2 // Jeti DS-16 // V Control // Jlog // BD3SX// VBar Neo// Lifetime AMA
guyguerra is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:23 PM   #8
Helique
Registered Users

Beautiful work AS USUAL Elisabeth!
Helique is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
SteveNunez
Registered Users

I painted a shot like that on canvas- I'm a professional airbrush artist.
SteveNunez is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #10
ramonramonet
Registered Users

Cojonudo!
please show the canvas!
ramonramonet is offline        Reply With Quote