Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Speed Helicopters

Speed Helicopters Speed Helicopters. Any brand as long as it goes FASSSSSSSSSTTTTTT!

Old 01-05-2017, 04:55 AM   #41
Tomy.
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iscripter did you have a chance to try the fixed version that I uploaded a few days ago?
I am a Heli-Coholic! Citizen #207
PRTOS Max v2 PRTOS 380 Speed Goblin 380 Blade 180CFX
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #42
iscripter
Registered Users

Yes, I tried it out and it works now.

I did have some of my runs show up in the app looking like I drove the heli straight into the ground. Then flew out the other side. I am not sure if that is faulty altitude data from my GPS. But I have not had a chance to play with the altitude correction settings in your App.

So far I am really liking it. Thank you for this awesome software.

iscripter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #43
Tomy.
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscripter View Post
some of my runs show up in the app looking like I drove the heli straight into the ground
Do you mind to send me one of those files in PM or just attach the log as a TXT here? I'd like to take a look. I've seen that problem before but I always thought it's a one off problem with the Jeti logs but if this happens frequently it could be something else too.
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 01-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #44
iscripter
Registered Users

Sure, I will just post it here. I could not figure out how to attach files in a PM. The files are the same as before just rename them and remove the .txt at the end.

Ok log file 03-27-34.log contains a run with a Maximum speed: 136.40 mph (219.52 kph).

And log file 04-09-49.log contains a run with a Maximum speed: 133.59 mph (215.00 kph).

It would be nice if the program would some how highlight exactly where the top speed was reached at and in which run. I really like being able to see the 200mm course laid out in Google Earth it really lets me see if I am flying out to far or not far enough.
Thanks again for this excellent software.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 03-27-34.log.txt (209.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: txt 04-09-49.log.txt (171.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-06-2017, 02:20 AM   #45
Tomy.
Registered Users

The GPS files that you attached indeed have sketchy altitude data. For example in the 03-27-34 file the takeoff timestamp is at 44:37 in the file (that's at the end of line 220: 2;1;0;32 means 32 meters) and the altitude goes negative at timestamp 46:16 (that's at the end of line 1730 (2;1;0;4294967268 means -28 meters). I've loaded the file in DataExplorer with their Jeti log reader, and it's indeed showing the same :-(. Only thing I can really do is just flatten the negative part on ground level, so It does not look in Google Earth like it dipped under ground.

I think you make a good point about max speed. As I'm slowly working on a better UI version with some algorithmic improvements too, I'll add discovery of max speed easier by showing max speed amount and max speed location for each pass and the overall flight. I'm thinking of putting all the max speed markers under a single checkbox that you can use to show them all or hide them all for the entire flight. What do you think?
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 01-06-2017, 02:21 AM   #46
Konna
Registered Users

Does this work with VControl GPS?
Goblin 380 "speed edition"
Konna is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 AM   #47
Tomy.
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konna View Post
Does this work with VControl GPS?
It could ;-)
Can vcontrol export a readable (CSV or other type) numeric log of your GPS data? If so, and I can decode what they are writing in the file,I can add a vcontrol GPS importer plugin.
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 01-06-2017, 02:34 AM   #48
Konna
Registered Users

I may have logs on VControl. I'll check this.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #49
iscripter
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy. View Post
The GPS files that you attached indeed have sketchy altitude data. For example in the 03-27-34 file the takeoff timestamp is at 44:37 in the file (that's at the end of line 220: 2;1;0;32 means 32 meters) and the altitude goes negative at timestamp 46:16 (that's at the end of line 1730 (2;1;0;4294967268 means -28 meters). I've loaded the file in DataExplorer with their Jeti log reader, and it's indeed showing the same :-(. Only thing I can really do is just flatten the negative part on ground level, so It does not look in Google Earth like it dipped under ground.

I think you make a good point about max speed. As I'm slowly working on a better UI version with some algorithmic improvements too, I'll add discovery of max speed easier by showing max speed amount and max speed location for each pass and the overall flight. I'm thinking of putting all the max speed markers under a single checkbox that you can use to show them all or hide them all for the entire flight. What do you think?
Tomy, I think I figured out why my altitude data is off. In my haste to try out my PowerBox GPS I neglected to read how long it can take for it to sometimes acquire enough satellites and that I should wait until the status LED is solid green before a flight. When we have some more good weather I will test it again and see if this helps.

I think some how highlighting the max speed markers is a great idea. Knowing exactly where in the run you reached max speed is really important and was the first thing I looked for when I started using the app.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:36 PM   #50
Tomy.
Registered Users

Quote:
Tomy, I think I figured out why my altitude data is off. In my haste to try out my PowerBox GPS I neglected to read how long it can take for it to sometimes acquire enough satellites and that I should wait until the status LED is solid green before a flight. When we have some more good weather I will test it again and see if this helps.

I think some how highlighting the max speed markers is a great idea. Knowing exactly where in the run you reached max speed is really important and was the first thing I looked for when I started using the app.
Makes sense, keep me posted please.
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 01-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #51
Konna
Registered Users

Quote:
It could ;-)
Can vcontrol export a readable (CSV or other type) numeric log of your GPS data? If so, and I can decode what they are writing in the file,I can add a vcontrol GPS importer plugin.
Heres GPS log file i found on VControl. Just remove .txt at the end
Attached Files
File Type: txt 00792_gps.kml.txt (23.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #52
Tomy.
Registered Users

Quote:
Heres GPS log file i found on VControl. Just remove .txt at the end
This is a primitive google earth file generated by vcontrol with latitude/longitude and altitude data only in a path. The problem is that there's no speed data in the file, and no timestamps for the locations that could be used to calculate speed data. There's just not enough info to use.
Can you create a file from vcontrol that's raw GPS log output in txt format?
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #53
Konna
Registered Users

Quote:
This is a primitive google earth file generated by vcontrol with latitude/longitude and altitude data only in a path. The problem is that there's no speed data in the file, and no timestamps for the locations that could be used to calculate speed data. There's just not enough info to use.
I have to ask. I don't own vbar gps sensor.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #54
Konna
Registered Users

Quote:
How about this?
Attached Files
File Type: txt 02278_gps.csv.txt (37.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #55
Tomy.
Registered Users

Quote:
How about this?
That looks more like it. I'll get these into the program, but there are a number of gotchas that I'd like you to check. The way it is, it'll need improvements.

I think we're on the right track just need a bit more help from you to figure this out. I was looking at the vbar and vcontrol docs, but the entire export part is very vaguely described only :-(

- Timestamp: is it possible to add more resolution to the timestamps of the rows? Currently it's h:m:s and using just seconds the calculations and plotting will be very un-precise.

- Altitude: what's the unit? Might be meters because where you're flying the elevation is about 460m and the altitude data in the file is 440-460 so if it's meters the GPS was a little off and you were flying very low (20 meters max from takeoff).

- Speed: Speed is more of a mystery. It's between 0 and 16. might be ft/sec (or m/sec)? If m/sec, your max speed in this file is 16m/sec --> 57.6km/h. Is it possible that you were flying slow in this?

- All the data is only whole numbers. Can it export more precise data? For example speed 0, 1..16 if it's feet/sec, the resolution is 3.6km/h we cannot get better data than that from the vbar gps?

- Just to clarify, this is a different location from the kml you sent before right? The flight in the kml was close to Selanpaa at an airport, this one is in Germany close to Stuttgart what looks like a farm area right?
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #56
Tomy.
Registered Users

Actually did you handcraft this file? The long and lat values are reversed (unless... you were really flying in Africa ?)
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 01-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #57
Konna
Registered Users

Got the file from Mikado staff. I dont own vcontrol gps my own. That .kml log was my flight from Selnp airfield with borrowed unit.
I gues the units are in metric system. I'll have to repost your questions forward if needed and its okay with you?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:42 AM   #58
Tomy.
Registered Users

Hey Konna, here's the screenshot of the processed file (after I manually swapped the long and lat data to put it back into Europe ). I also attached the google earth KMZ (that is a zip compressed version KML) just remove the txt from the file name.

Since it was not your file, I guess I understand why it's a zigzag not speed flight so that's OK. I've defaulted the data to metric (m/s speed and m altitude) units. Can you please ask the vbar guys if this is what it's expected to look like? I'm a little surprised about the altitude data being so much on a single height for most of the flight. My program added an offset to the altitude data in the CSV file so the takeoff point (where it starts gaining altitude and speed) is at ground level. Otherwise using just the metric (meters) height from the CSV the graph is under ground :-).

Keep me posted. I'd like to get the vbar/vcontrol import to be added as soon as they can export the data. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KonnaFile.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	687992  
Attached Files
File Type: txt 02278_gps.kmz.txt (237.3 KB, 15 views)
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 01-13-2017, 06:36 AM   #59
Tomy.
Registered Users

Quote:
While I'm working on a newer version, here's what I did with the max speed.
Every pass will have a separate max speed marker. You can turn them off if you don't want to see them. If you click on the green arrow icon that points at the top speed, it gives precise speed info in a popup. Will this work?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iscripter_maxspeed.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	688623   Click image for larger version

Name:	iscripter_maxspeed_2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	688624