Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

Old 11-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
BamaWade
Registered Users

Default Adding white canopy LEDs to 230S night edition

Hi guys,

Anyone added additional LEDs to their 230S? I bought the night variant recently, and can see it pretty well stock at night, but would like to add a couple of white LEDs to the canopy area.

I was in a hurry while ordering mass small parts last week and grabbed a dual-white Tamiya string, cut the connector and soldered it onto the end of the canopy run. Plugged in the battery and they lit up and faded out. I suppose I burned them up because of wrong voltage. Total lack of planning on my end but was in a hurry on order to get discount in by end of day and just spent the few bucks hoping for the best, knowing it'd be a cheap mistake if it didn't work.

Any of you added LEDs in this fashion? If so, should I be looking for a specific voltage, etc.? Do you have a brand/link to LEDs you used?

I can grab the multimeter from work and check the voltage on the end of that stock run. Was just wondering if someone out there might've already gone through this and have advice or a proven LED set.

Thanks!!
BamaWade
BamaWade is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:16 AM   #2
badgravity
Registered Users

Get a 12v led strip that can be cut to lenght -whatever colour and wire it to your 3s battery.

I added white strip across canopy on 230s and it works.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
BamaWade
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks. Hadn't considered that option for some reason...was only thinking to continue the series via the solder points on the end of the last front-side board.
BamaWade
Old 12-10-2016, 03:53 AM   #4
Desmond
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaWade View Post
Hi guys,

Anyone added additional LEDs to their 230S? I bought the night variant recently, and can see it pretty well stock at night, but would like to add a couple of white LEDs to the canopy area.

I was in a hurry while ordering mass small parts last week and grabbed a dual-white Tamiya string, cut the connector and soldered it onto the end of the canopy run. Plugged in the battery and they lit up and faded out. I suppose I burned them up because of wrong voltage. Total lack of planning on my end but was in a hurry on order to get discount in by end of day and just spent the few bucks hoping for the best, knowing it'd be a cheap mistake if it didn't work.

Any of you added LEDs in this fashion? If so, should I be looking for a specific voltage, etc.? Do you have a brand/link to LEDs you used?

I can grab the multimeter from work and check the voltage on the end of that stock run. Was just wondering if someone out there might've already gone through this and have advice or a proven LED set.

Thanks!!
BamaWade
From where were you taking the power for these LEDS ? Generally LED's shouldn't be connected directly to a battery. There should be an LED driver circuit between the battery and the LED string. The driver acts to regulate voltage and current to the LED or LED string. Without a driver/regulator you run the risk of an overvoltage damaging the LEDS.
Desmond is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
BamaWade
Registered Users

My method was to simply solder the LED leads onto the end of the existing chassis-front serial run, using the in-line voltage. I suppose I just need the correct voltage LEDs. I'm going to put a voltmeter to those points to get that correct voltage.

See below.

BamaWade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	230s.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	683894  
Old 12-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
BamaWade
Registered Users

Checked voltage at those solder points under power: 11.xV DC. So...voltage direct from the flight battery (my test battery was at storage capacity).

I suppose next time I order parts somewhere that carries 12V white LEDs, I'll put a set in the cart. I'll go with my original plan of just soldering directly onto those points and running the lights under the frame to the nose area. I'll post pics once done in case it helps anyone else.

BamaWade
Old 12-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Corvette & Copter Guy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
From where were you taking the power for these LEDS ? Generally LED's shouldn't be connected directly to a battery. There should be an LED driver circuit between the battery and the LED string. The driver acts to regulate voltage and current to the LED or LED string. Without a driver/regulator you run the risk of an overvoltage damaging the LEDS.
Myself and everyone I know runs right of a lipo at the balance lead. Never known anyone to have an issue
Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Larry227
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I buy my 12v led rolls from Amazon for cheap. 3 meter rolls for 2-8 bucks. Just don't get the waterproof ones. I made that mistake by accident on one roll and they were terrible to solder to. I ended up trashing the entire roll.
Also the last roll of white I ordered shipped from China so it took forever. The others I ordered shipped from Amazon and were here in days.
Larry227 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
flyinfool
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To bad you trashed them, I use a lot of the waterproof ones. Yes they are harder to solder to. But once you learn the technique it is not bad and you do not have so much bare copper wire everywhere just looking for something to short it out. The waterproof does also weigh twice as much, on a small heli that might make a difference.
flyinfool is online now        Reply With Quote