Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety


Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #21
JWeber
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,210
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Default

I was three seats away from where it crashed. Several nearby people immediately rushed to the guy to make sure he was OK. Within less than 1 minute and probably closer to 30 seconds, IRCHA staff were at him and the announcer was asking everyone to stand back. Not sure how anything could have gone faster than it did. The medical people were at center stage but standing behind the crowd. We were in rows of chairs that we brought, so it wasn't crazy packed in there.

My only real complaint is that the announcer guy came off as pretty cold about it. It may just be a culture thing, but not a fan of how he handled it. The medical people however were top notch and fast to respond.
__________________
G570, DT520Ev2, G500 speed, Oxy 3+, P380, XK K110, Open-TX, Citizen 413
JWeber is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #22
im4711
Registered Users
 
Posts: 6,335
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cape Coral, FL, USA
Default

For all those pushing for safety nets a bit of a story from OHB this year.
They have a larger safety net and what happened??? The heli went over it and hit the ground about 6-7 yards from our tent. No one standing at that spot - so all was OK. Just to say ... safety net will not get you the safety you are asking for or you have to make it extremely large and thats simply not doable.

For all those arguing -> please make sure your home field or where you fly has safety nets installed. Thats the first step since that net is so important to you you should start at your local fields / flying locations.

What I do not say is that a safety net is bad. Tried to have one at our local field but cost and the real added safety is a hold back even there.
What I am saying is that its giving us a false safety feeling.
__________________
Kontronik, Switch Blades, Bavarian Demon, TDR, Diabolo, HeliBaby, Takumi and Banshee
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
babyuh1
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,885
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missouri
Default

The big problem that I see at events like this and baseball games, etc, is that too many people aren't watching the action and have no clue when something goes wrong!
If you see it coming you have a chance to duck or move to protect yourself or your loved ones.
__________________
Please don't confuse my experience with pessimism!
Protos 500, HCP100S, Raptor 50, many more!
babyuh1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #24
learnedthehardway
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,516
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sagnasty, Michigan/Ventura CA
Default

Don't see what the big fuss is about, spectators of many different sports events have been injured. Motorsports, baseball, hockey, skiing, mountain biking, ect, ect.

When I first moved to Michigan I went to watch the races at the local dirt oval track with another first timer. I was so buzzed up it didn't register why the first few rows of seating were empty, cool great seats!!

Not even 5 laps in I'd been nailed twice by rocks/dirt/rubber/?? traveling at the speed of light from being shot off their tires

It hurt like a */#!^&*&^##^;er, we moved back a few rows really quick but didn't cry about nets or safety even though the right chunk in the right spot could potentially kill someone.

All part of the excitement of live action and sometimes the best seats in the house cost more than you expect.
__________________
x3Mini Protos 6s stretch, #4 on the way /KDS Chase 360/Trex450 sport v2 dfc/180cfx/SK540's, YGE/YEP/Xnova/Scorpion/MKS/KST A.C.A.B. ~805~
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #25
OnTheSnap
Registered Users
 
Posts: 17,246
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Clara, Ca
Default

IRCHA already answered why no nets. US is a litigious society. Nets go up at IRCHA, then instead of it being an "at your own risk" situation for spectators, IRCHA takes all the responsibility for safety. This is the feedback they get from their legal team.

In Europe, it's not the same culture. Here we sue everyone to get as many $$ as we can get out of it.

Also, once nets are up center stage, they have to go up the entire flight line for the same reasons - IRCHA can't be negligent since they now assume responsibility for spectator safety.

So instead it's an "at your own risk" spectator event. You know there are heli's being flown hard at the flight line. If you want to sit front and center, there is a risk.

Yep, some US stuff is really lame this way.
__________________
MSH USA
Xnova
Xpert
OnTheSnap is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:48 AM   #26
im4711
Registered Users
 
Posts: 6,335
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cape Coral, FL, USA
Default

@OnTheSnap - you are absolutely right plus in addition to it - with the energy in those machines - they come over the net very easy as I have seen multiple times now. So its false safety feeling putting them up. I rather have the people warned to watch out than give them wrong safety feel.
__________________
Kontronik, Switch Blades, Bavarian Demon, TDR, Diabolo, HeliBaby, Takumi and Banshee
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #27
learnedthehardway
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,516
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sagnasty, Michigan/Ventura CA
Default

At least it looked like he hit TH immediately and the blades had stopped spinning by the time it touched down. Big enough machine to still hurt like a mofo but you'll certainly live, definitely could have been worse.

Is IRCHA like baseball, if you catch a foul heli do you get to keep it?? Lol
__________________
x3Mini Protos 6s stretch, #4 on the way /KDS Chase 360/Trex450 sport v2 dfc/180cfx/SK540's, YGE/YEP/Xnova/Scorpion/MKS/KST A.C.A.B. ~805~
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #28
3D Ambitions
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Palmdale, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4711 View Post
For all those pushing for safety nets a bit of a story from OHB this year.
They have a larger safety net and what happened??? The heli went over it and hit the ground about 6-7 yards from our tent. No one standing at that spot - so all was OK. Just to say ... safety net will not get you the safety you are asking for or you have to make it extremely large and thats simply not doable.

For all those arguing -> please make sure your home field or where you fly has safety nets installed. Thats the first step since that net is so important to you you should start at your local fields / flying locations.

What I do not say is that a safety net is bad. Tried to have one at our local field but cost and the real added safety is a hold back even there.
What I am saying is that its giving us a false safety feeling.
You're comparing apples to oranges here . Why am I going to put up a safety net if I'm a solo flyer that flys in big empty lots with no people around and empty parks . As soon as i see one person start walking around the field I pack up and go home. Your argument is not valid in my case and I'd assume in most cases .
3D Ambitions is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #29
im4711
Registered Users
 
Posts: 6,335
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cape Coral, FL, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Ambitions View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges here . Why am I going to put up a safety net if I'm a solo flyer that flys in big empty lots with no people around and empty parks . As soon as i see one person start walking around the field I pack up and go home. Your argument is not valid in my case and I'd assume in most cases .
sorry ... no intend to hurt you personally or hit you in person. I do not think I mentioned you in any of my posts - still my sincere apologies to you '3D Ambitions'.

My point still stays for the majority of the pilots. Not everyone has the situation flying in an isolated area where no human being shows up.
__________________
Kontronik, Switch Blades, Bavarian Demon, TDR, Diabolo, HeliBaby, Takumi and Banshee
im4711 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #30
LoveToFly1
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Ambitions View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges here . Why am I going to put up a safety net if I'm a solo flyer that flys in big empty lots with no people around and empty parks . As soon as i see one person start walking around the field I pack up and go home. Your argument is not valid in my case and I'd assume in most cases .
your also not supposed to fly anywhere that isn't an AMA field...

you should join a flying club.
__________________
Gasser Mike

Team Synergy, Team KDE Direct, Rail Blades, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #31
Larry227
Registered Users
 
Posts: 14,963
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Creston, BC (Canada) Porthill, Idaho (US)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToFly1 View Post
your also not supposed to fly anywhere that isn't an AMA field...

you should join a flying club.


Then why does AMA insurance honor a claim if an accident happened at a non AMA site?
Larry227 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #32
3D Ambitions
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Palmdale, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToFly1 View Post
your also not supposed to fly anywhere that isn't an AMA field...

you should join a flying club.
This is something I do for fun...I fly for fun . One of the few remaining things I do in my life that isn't structured and constantly being forced to abide by someone else's rules and judgement, that's why.

I live in a high desert town with big open sky's and lots of empty land around , why am I going to pay to fly in someone else's confines.
3D Ambitions is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:48 PM   #33
Steve Graham
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,539
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToFly1 View Post
your also not supposed to fly anywhere that isn't an AMA field...

you should join a flying club.
The information you provided is inaccurate. Unfortunately it has been repeated so many times as to become tribal knowledge. To be blunt as an experienced member of the community and rep for several companies you SHOULD know better. This information is easy to find with a simple reference to the AMA safety code. A 5 minute call to the AMA is in order for anyone who questions what i'm saying.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #34
franklin_m
Registered Users
 
Posts: 296
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: State College, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
... So instead it's an "at your own risk" spectator event. You know there are heli's being flown hard at the flight line. If you want to sit front and center, there is a risk ...
My work is in risk management. My attorney has told me time and time again that "at your own risk" is not a shield. One can never waive gross negligence. So despite hold harmless agreements on the backs of many tickets, if an attorney can get a jury to agree there was gross negligence, there can still be a payout - and a big one. What is gross negligence? There isn't a precise definition, rather one based on prior cases and the jury's opinion. However, a good start is when "A person does not exercise the amount of care that a reasonably careful person would use under the circumstances; or a person does something that a reasonably careful person would not do under the circumstances."

When there's an injury, what often comes up is whether organizers knew or should have known that something like it could happen - and did they take reasonable precautions. Now, we can all disagree about what "reasonable" is, but we aren't the ones who get to decide. It's the jury that decides if what they did (or didn't do) was "reasonable."

Fact: a heli has gone into the crowd at an IRCHA event, and it's on film for tort attorneys to find. Is it "reasonable" for IRCHA to do nothing? Is it "reasonable" for IRCHA to operate under the assumption that each and every spectator understands the risk of a 700 size out of control helo hitting them (informed risk decision)? Can minors in the crowd make informed risk decisions?

IRCHA that has to decide how much risk it's willing to assume. It's all about how often they're willing to roll the dice. Even rare events do happen. As Dirty Harry once said "Do you feel lucky?"
franklin_m is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #35
OnTheSnap
Registered Users
 
Posts: 17,246
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Clara, Ca
Default

Probably same argument is made for NASCAR or other events like air shows.

USA is horribly litigious, and as a result all the events and fun will be gone because we suck as a society when it comes to this stuff.
__________________
MSH USA
Xnova
Xpert
OnTheSnap is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #36
franklin_m
Registered Users
 
Posts: 296
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: State College, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Probably same argument is made for NASCAR or other events like air shows.

USA is horribly litigious, and as a result all the events and fun will be gone because we suck as a society when it comes to this stuff.

Yep. I'm pretty sure that in the last few years NASCAR increased the size and/or changed the design of catch fences? MLB is extending nets in a lot of parks. Upper decks are getting higher railing. Etc. Everyone wants tort reform...until they are the ones who get hurt and see someone with deep pockets that might be sued.

We have met the enemy, and it is us.
franklin_m is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Copyright © 2004-2016 by RCGroups.com, LLC except where otherwise indicated. The HeliFreak.com logo is a trademark of RCGroups.com, LLC.