New member from the DC area - Page 2 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Been there once. Just depends on where you are and what you need. For specific stuff for helis, pretty much only means Blade. Once you get away from Blade they may have other useful R/C stuff(mono-kote, paint, etc), but not much else. TBH, I wasn't overly impressed. I actually order all of my stuff online now. Prices are actually better. I would probably support them more if not 30min away.
Thanks! I'll check them out. I'm equidistant between hobby hangar and hobby works.

I've also been checking out the other helis like the XK recommended earlier. After a few flights, I can see some of the issues of the CPS but it's not enough for me to turn my back away from Blade (and I am way too new to even have this opinion)...I have seen that the responsiveness is not as quick as I'd like (with my RTF) and have read about that. I really have to move the stick for the heli to respond and sometimes that's too much so I have to over correct..which for a newbie, often leads to crashes..

I do think a lot of my issues (such as accurate trimming) will be solved when I take it outdoors. My basement is just too small to trim so I just hover and do tail-in circles with a lot of nose adjustments.
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all...

For all the NOVA people that have replied to this thread I started a while ago...What are some activities in our area now that flying season is almost among us? I heard on this thread about the club but can't get much info about it. I'd love to meet people in this area to help progress my skills...

Just a progress update between the last 2 months.

I am now using a DX7s and I have crashed my ncps a lot and have replaced a lot but am having a ton of fun with it. I have finally been able to fly it in 3D mode indoors and outdoors, not in full control, but good progress nonetheless. I picked up a nice 130X to play with but it hasn't gone so well. Crashed that on the 1st flight, replaced some parts, then 2nd flight realized my main gear was striped so now waiting to try my 3rd flight. I also did get Accurc but it's taking me forever to get that thing set up. I'll have to post a separate thread in that sub category to get more help because it involves FBL setup which I am not familiar with....

All in all, things have been great and I' hooked! Thanks!
Old 03-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Jack,

Your experience with the nano sounds similar to mine. Given where you are, you could think about something a bit larger and more stable. Since you have the DX7s, and assuming you want to stay with BNF for now, the 230s would actually be a nice next step. (I suspect someone's already suggested it, but I didn't re-read the whole thread...)

Old 03-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
Hi Jack,

Your experience with the nano sounds similar to mine. Given where you are, you could think about something a bit larger and more stable. Since you have the DX7s, and assuming you want to stay with BNF for now, the 230s would actually be a nice next step. (I suspect someone's already suggested it, but I didn't re-read the whole thread...)

Thanks!

I'm deathly afraid of larger helis! Both in terms of repair costs and just the intimidation factor at my current skill level. The 230s does have stability mode, which is always nice to have to gain confidence. My thought now is to continue to improve w/ the ncps by flying outside, in calm, conditions but in agility mode. At the same time, try to learn the 130x and get that flying first before moving onto another heli. I may only entertain another nano sized heli because I tend to fly more inside at this point. Larger helis also mean I am limited in flying areas, which are a challenge in a densely built environment that doesn't allow RC anything in county parks. And yes, want to stay w/ BNF for a bit and learning how to fly before tackling a build. And SIM time! Baby steps.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaboutme View Post
Hi all...

For all the NOVA people that have replied to this thread I started a while ago...What are some activities in our area now that flying season is almost among us? I heard on this thread about the club but can't get much info about it. I'd love to meet people in this area to help progress my skills...

Just a progress update between the last 2 months.

I am now using a DX7s and I have crashed my ncps a lot and have replaced a lot but am having a ton of fun with it. I have finally been able to fly it in 3D mode indoors and outdoors, not in full control, but good progress nonetheless. I picked up a nice 130X to play with but it hasn't gone so well. Crashed that on the 1st flight, replaced some parts, then 2nd flight realized my main gear was striped so now waiting to try my 3rd flight. I also did get Accurc but it's taking me forever to get that thing set up. I'll have to post a separate thread in that sub category to get more help because it involves FBL setup which I am not familiar with....

All in all, things have been great and I' hooked! Thanks!
Yeah, there's not much to be found online about Virginia Flyers, but I urge you to come out some time when the weather warms up. They're pretty quiet this time of year, but in April things really get going. I haven't flown since last year, so I'm slackin'!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaboutme View Post
Hi all...

For all the NOVA people that have replied to this thread I started a while ago...What are some activities in our area now that flying season is almost among us?
I know it's still a little ways off, but this is the premiere event in our area. It's in Fredericksburg at a club down there and well worth the trip. You will see some of the best flying you'll ever have a chance to see from great local pilots and some of the top pros. You don't need anything to attend as a spectator but if you want to register to fly you will need AMA membership.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=762652

Good chance to meet some of the local talent and they hold a raffle for some nice prizes as well.
Starving Bushman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks all!

Yes, I'm following the Fredericksburg event but it's a long hike for just watching but I am interested...Hoping to visit some sites in our area first.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:44 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Jack,

Looks like you are having fun with Heli's.
There are three main clubs that are heli friendly or heli only in NoVA.
Virginia Flyers
VARCHA www.varcha.org
FARCC www.fredericksburgrc.com

As to the distance for FARCC from your house, many members make the drive, some from as far away as Rockville, MD. My obvious piece of advice is get on the road early if visiting on a Saturday to avoid traffic. Myself I commute daily from Fredericksburg to Arlington for work.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Montee View Post
Hey Jack,

Looks like you are having fun with Heli's.
There are three main clubs that are heli friendly or heli only in NoVA.
Virginia Flyers
VARCHA www.varcha.org
FARCC www.fredericksburgrc.com

As to the distance for FARCC from your house, many members make the drive, some from as far away as Rockville, MD. My obvious piece of advice is get on the road early if visiting on a Saturday to avoid traffic. Myself I commute daily from Fredericksburg to Arlington for work.
Thanks!

I'm trying to contact VAF. Their field is within 30 mins so it's the most logical though VARCHA is not too far away either (45 mins). I can't complain either way. Still trying to figure out how I can tell my family I will be in Fredericksburg for the day.

By the way, you have a heck of a commute...thought mine was bad...
Old 04-06-2017, 05:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bring them along. Grab some food and let them enjoy it as well. Maybe have them drive a second car if they get bored and want to check out something else.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Montee View Post
Bring them along. Grab some food and let them enjoy it as well. Maybe have them drive a second car if they get bored and want to check out something else.
Fair enough!

The 2nd car idea, not so much 😁.... Haha. Thanks for the comment.
howaboutme is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.