New to Heli's in Indianapolis - Page 2 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would go with the 450. If your worried about finances, especially since your starting a business, I would stay away from the 700. In the event you have a minor crash the main blades alone will cost you $150+. A 700 machine will get expensive very quickly. A 450, in the event you crash, will cost you $20-40. Why stress yourself out with money with everything that is going on, business and birthdays, when you can satisfy your thirst for the time being with a 450? Just a thought.

No one has ever collided with the sky.
Spencerkey is online now        Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 12:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I wanted to update everyone on my decision. I've taking everyones recommendations into account. I have also contacted a local club in my area. I am going to get some instruction as well as hitting the sim everyday a couple times a day. Space is not an issue for me My backyard is a giant cornfield! It's a great place for my hobbies.

So I have decided to build the 700. I got too see both sizes in person today and I just fell in love with the size of the 700. I am going to take the proper precautions, no one is going to be around me including my wife and kids until I am confident in my skills and then no one will be around till my wife is comfortable with my skills as well as my instructor.

I should be able to get everything together within 2 months.I am also going to put all of my other hobbies on hold so I can have the funds for crashes and such. Had to work out the budget with the wife.

The kit is not a tarot. It is a brand new Assault 700, the updated one. I plan on putting align parts into it. I am getting my hands on it for 50 bucks. A favor from a friend since he owes me one. I figure you cant beat that. I know some people have some reservations about HK stuff. But I have not had any issues with anything I have bought. That being said I have not just purchased blindly either. I have done my research on the items I have bought through them. They do sell some junk but they sell some gems too.

So thats it. I will keep everyone informed on my progress. And if anyone wants to provide their help I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks again! Fantastic community you guys have here.

I would like to ask one question. Alot of people used to recommend beginners start with larger heli's. At least from my experience so far it seems that sentiment has changed why?
jtroutt19 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroutt19 View Post
I would like to ask one question. A lot of people used to recommend beginners start with larger helis. At least from my experience so far it seems that sentiment has changed why?
At one point there weren't any decent small helis to learn on. There also weren't FBLs with 6g algorithms. Most guys learned on a big heli with a training gear, and you practiced hovering a few inches off the ground. Most folks recommend what they did themselves, which is why you will still find quite a few people who suggest starting big. (You just didn't meet any of them in this thread!)

There are so many more options now, and there is no one way that's best for everyone. You asked questions, took the input, and made a decision. Nothing wrong with that. (It's what we're here for.) And it's good that you found a local club. Best of luck!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well my first impression with one of my local clubs is not a good one. Seems they are all brand queens, and think if it doesnt say Align, Spektrum, JR, etc... that it isnt good enough and doesn't even deserve to be in the hobby!

I honestly cannot stand people like that. I understand that the brand name stuff is proven and works well, but that doesn't mean you cannot find off brand stuff that is just as good. I have never bought name brand. I use alot of turnigy stuff. I have a 9XR-pro that I have heard people say they would not trust even with there junk models. Its just absurd to me.

I have been flying With my 9XR-Pro for about a year now, before that I had a 9X that I used for like 6 years. I never had a connection drop out, never had centering issues, Never had problems with switches or gimbals wearing out, The radio worked flawlessly for me. I pair it with Frsky modules and RX's which I love!

I don't sit here and say that spektrum is trash, or that futaba is trash, or any of the other brand names. I could, I mean I could sit here and say that anyone who would spend 200 on a single servo is out of there mind, but I dont because if your experience is good with it and you like it and you are partial to it then I am genuinely happy that you found something that you can rely on. But just because you spend $200 on a servo and I spend $60 on a servo dont call my stuff junk because I guarantee that it will last and perform just as long and just as well.

I respect the brand names. I respect the off brands as well! If it works and works well then so be it who cares what is stamped on it!

Well thats my rant for now, sorry for it but I had to get it out. I hate being judged because I dont want to spend 10k to build a RC toy.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear it. You get that a lot. Assault is a HobbyKing brand, and much HobbyKing stuff is a clone of one thing or another. Some guys like clones because the low price makes the hobby more affordable. Other guys argue that clones end up killing the companies that actually invest in R&D, and that will eventually hurt the hobby more than it helps. You have to recognize that it's an emotional topic. It's also not just about snobbery, as a lot of clone stuff (not all) has a deserved reputation for being pretty low quality. HK has some clone stuff that is good, and some that is junk. That's to be expected since they are a high volume operation. I can't comment on the Assault helis.

Is there a decent guy who's willing to help you with your 700? If so, then you can just smile and ignore the others - unless they're actually nasty.

If there's no one at the club you can work with, then I would seriously suggest you put the 700 on the shelf for a bit and work your way up in the cornfield. You can have a ton of fun with a 450, as long as you can fly in the present and not be constantly thinking about needing something bigger.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Tyler! My name is Brandon. I live in Bloomington just south of Indy. Feel free to PM me. I would love to learn about quads and I'd be happy to help you all i can with helicopters. I'd also love to have a new friend with rc interests!

Now taking applications for a full time heli mechanic.
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

+10
If you have Indo helping you live, you'll have a much better chance of success with that 700!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know it is an emotional topic I really do understand why. But to put someone down or say there stuff is junk.....is unacceptable. Clones will never kill the Big Brands because of brand loyalty. That being said I feel like Hobbyking is a brand at this point. I also understand that there are cloned items that are horrible. I do think I recall a few instances of name brand stuff having some major issues....

I dont know all I am trying to say is dont treat someone differently because they decided to save some money. The greenwood, Indiana area is full of rich snobs. It's known for that and that is where that club is.

Brandon I love bloomington. Me and fam used to go camping down there all the time. I will hit you up when I get my 700 built maybe we can make a day of it!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't forget about those of us up here near Fart Wayne and be sure to make it to IRCHA 2017 in Muncie this year. Having a club and an instructor will make your learning curve much easier. You'd better get building so it's done for spring. Good luck .
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I know it is an emotional topic I really do understand why. But to put someone down or say there stuff is junk.....is unacceptable.
Absolutely. Some folks are just not able to get over differences of opinion to appreciate the bigger things we have in common. A problem that goes beyond the hobby, unfortunately.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whats sad about that and what those people dont understand or they dont care is that kind of behavior pushes people away from our hobby! That is what hurts the hobby not a few people buying a couple clones. In the end i feel like most people that buy clones will end up with a name brand
Old 01-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd love to meet up with you guys and talk helis!

As far as clones go.. the person is more important than the heli. My 2 cents.

Align seems to be doing ok as well as sab.

My first 450 was a Trex clone from exi.. now look at my sig.. plus I just ordered a 470L.

I'd rather see new guys buying cheap than never get into helis. If people are upset with you personally about it they are not worth talking to. Don't let them bother you. Most likely we can all be friends but they might tease you anyways.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its all good to joke around lord knows ill be the first to crack a joke. And i would love to be able to buy an trex 700. Lord knows it would be my first choice.

Ive included a picture of my baby!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1372676756077135.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	687001  
Old 01-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Its all good to joke around lord knows ill be the first to crack a joke. And i would love to be able to buy an trex 700. Lord knows it would be my first choice.

Ive included a picture of my baby!
Nice man!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

J, good luck in your next steps in life, business and the hobby. Each of us comes with our own sets of experiences and expectations as to what works best in terms of investments in time, training and dollars. Each of also has to make those decisions for himself or herself. You have asked what we think on a beginners forum and you have your own set of values that you want to follow.
To me, as former club president and instructor there are a number of variables that come to mind. There have been a number of times that people have come up trying to learn on machines that are the limiting factor. People often have more experience on the brands they know and fly, so if there are problems they can usually be sorted out more systematically. Then the steps to learning can be more clearly defined and progress can be gauged. Safety also is paramount to a club, we generally all want to have a safe welcoming place to fly. After all we are all in this because we love the hobby, although many of us have different ways of seeing that common goal.

As to size and lust factor, that is a personal 'gut response' like why we each see certain cars, bikes, planes, helis...fill in the blank.... and say "yeah that's the one for me."@ I personally looked at my Align 450 V2 kit in the box for a year or two until I had the courage to even open it up. Now, years later & more rebuilds than I could possibly count it is on the rack waiting for a rebuild again, maybe someday. It hangs on the rack with company a Blade 300, a 360, a 450 dominator, a T-Rex 500, a 550, a Goblin 500, a Synergy E7, a Gaul X3 and an inductrix. And sad - actually glad to say that doesn't include the rack with the planes. So many machines to fly, so little time and finances. FWIW, a low speed, low level roll over on take off with the E-7 cost more to repair then the Gaui cost in total. But like you expressed, it is an emotional response. My point is that as you get into this,you just may find more equipment that lights that desire in you.

Also FWIW you are just down the road from one of the great flying events of the world -IRCHA at Muncie. Please make every effort to get there. There is so much going on there at every level that can be so worth your time...excellent people, flying, manufactures, new and used stuff, volunteers, fireworks show that is jaw dropping....and more
Welcome to the Heli Freaks...Andy
Old 01-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank for all that! I will definitely make it up to muncie this year sounds like a really good time. I understand safety and people being more in tune with their particular favorite brand. Believe me if I had a few thousand dollars to go drop on the best of the best I would in a heart beat! One day I will be in that position and will not have to worry about it.

I also want to let everyone know why I decided to get a heli finally. I have been reading alot and I see alot of animosity toward the drone sector. My first RC craft was a custom tunnel hul boat that ran on Glow fuel (nitro as you guys call it now) that was back in the mid 90's. After that I had a beginner plane that I never got to fly due to issue in the family and I was uprooted at 13 years old to move back to indiana with my dad. I am now 32 and got back into the hobby (airplanes) many years. I think it was 7 or 8 its alittle fuzzy. Anyway I have a couple planes and then the drone thing started, My side hobby is photography so win win there.

But, Ever since I was 10y/o I wanted an R/C heli. Of course mom said no because they were expensive and I was young. Now I get to realize a childhood dream! So that is why I am getting one. I love the idea of flying models in the air!