Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters > 700 Electric Conversions

700 Electric Conversions Align T-REX 700 Electric Conversions

Old 11-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
sjgusmc21
Registered Users

Default 700N to E Conversion advice

Since I have built and flown my Trex 600e, I have been thinking about building a 700 or 90 class machine. I initially thought about getting the 90 class machine from HK, but have decided against it, as it appears that the parts for the 700n have dropped (complete frames for around $70), conversion kit for $50, and then start from there. I will not build a nitro as I have no where legal or safe to fly it, and the nearest club is too far away to drive to. So, Electric it is, and I can use my Trex 500 6s batteries with it (12s of course). I fly 8s in my Trex 600. So, Iím mostly looking for stability and do not fly 3d, nor do I ever see myself doing so. And largely, I just REALLY like building things! With that said, here are my thoughts and questions:
1. Can I use the 700e main head FB gear with the 700n? Honestly, havenít convinced myself to go FB or FBL yet. Seems the price is about the same, either way.
2. Why don't I build a 700e? Parts seem to be cheaper for building and converting a 700n, and I like the extra height that the Nitro gives, and just 'lots' of room it would appear. Plus I like something different.
3. Why is the 700mx 480kv motor so cheap? I see them new on Fleabay all of the time for around $60. Is it a bad motor?
I plan on using the battery tray from the G-force kit, and the remainder of the T-REX 700 Nitro to Electric CF Carbon Fiber Conversion Kit for the rest. Anyone have any suggestions before I start purchasing; please feel free to let me know. I am going to try to avoid 'extra' parts this time, Like I did with my from scratch Trex 600 build. Thanks.
sjgusmc21 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
Mr Nice Guy
Registered Users

If you are interested I have the frames from my nitro that was converted to electric. It uses the Helidirect conversion and has the silver carbon RJX frames. It will include all the bearing blocks, linkages, 2 motor mounts so you can use Scorpion or Kontronik /Align motors. I'll also throw in matching silver RJX fins as well and a main shaft. I replaced the screws with the quik UK screws that have the nice aluminum pieces. The only things you'll need are the head, one way/gears,tail section and landing gear. I even have a couple of canopies if you are interested in them. One is yellow Canomod Striker V2 with only a few blemishes on it and one is a silver Canomod Striker V1 it is in OK shape but has one light crash on it. I'd like to get $100 shipped for the frames. If you want the canopies I'll let everything go for $150 shipped. Let me know if you are interested. I can send pics. This setup flew great and has a custom rear battery mount that gets the rear battery up high. It will fit the big Turnigy 5000 packs but flies really nice on 4000s too.
Mr Nice Guy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
sjgusmc21
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sounds like a great deal and thank you for offering, but I have already received my frames, base plate, motor mount, and servo mount. Sounds like a great deal though, and thanks again for offering. Taking it slow on this one...don't want to make the same mistakes I did with my 600 build.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Mr Nice Guy
Registered Users

No problem. Let me know if you have any questions. I flew my conversion for about 2 years so I have a lot of experience with it. Good luck. BTW there is nothing wrong with the 480 KV MX motor. A lot of people run a higher kv motor because they like the higher headspeeds. Personally I think the lower KV motor is the way to go. You can run a more sane headspeed and use a larger pinion which will be less likely to strip. I run a 450 KV Pyro on my 700.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
sjgusmc21
Registered Users

Thanks for the heads up on the MX motor. Yeah, don't see myself needing that 'insane' head speed, not the way I fly. That is a really nice motor....little too pricey for me though. And thank you for the help...do you have any old pic's of your setup? Take care.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
Mr Nice Guy
Registered Users

Yes I do have some. I'll post some up tonight.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 AM   #7
sjgusmc21
Registered Users

Thanks, I would appreciate it. Also, before I order, could you tell me what Main gear you went with? Was going to go stock, then read alot about stripping and such. I found a good deal on the OWB, so will order that (nitro version), and see what you got to say. Thanks again for you help.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #8
Mr Nice Guy
Registered Users

OK still need to get those pics for you. As far as the main gear I would and do run the slant gear. It seems to be able to take the most power of any gear that's out there right now. I also love the fact that it runs very quietly. I would also reccomend you run the 11 tooth pinion. This will let you run mid to high 1900s on the head in governor mode. This should be good for your flying style and is what I run. http://helidirect.com/align-motor-pi...0e-p-24515.hdx I would also recommend a pinion support like the one from KDE. The one-way you bought is fine as there is no difference between the electric and nitro one-ways. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:16 AM   #9
sjgusmc21
Registered Users

Again, thank you for your help. I ordered that pinion. I hope it is 6mm. I couldn't find the diameter anywhere. Will go with the slant gear as you suggest. Bidding on a 510 700mx right now.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
Mr Nice Guy
Registered Users

It is 6mm. I had to do some detective work to make sure. I don't know why they don't have that info listed. That pinion is made for a T-rex 550 and that bird comes with a 6mm shaft motor. That 510 will work fine. I wanted the option to run as low as an 1800 hundred or less head speed if I wanted so the 450 or 400 works better for me. I can always gear up some but can only gear down to the 11 tooth. Even if I could find a smaller pinion it would be more subject to stripping than a larger pinion. I'm building another 700e with the Custom HeliParts DL frames and will be running a 400 kv Hacker Turnado with a 12 tooth pinion. Should be good for up to 1950 which is a good head speed for idle 2 on my current 700e with DL frames (very light setup). Good luck with yours.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
aviator493
Registered Users

I see you are in Lorton, there are 2 clubs I fly at that are not far from you. The closest would be Fredericksburg RC. From Bristow I can get there in an hour. I've driven it from Ft Belvoir and it is only 45 minutes. The other one is in Bealton/Warrenton area off of 17. Let me know if you want to check out either one some time and we'll do some flying!

Jason
aviator493 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
sjgusmc21
Registered Users

Thanks Jason. Appreciate the offer. I have to admit, never even heard of Bristow...but 45 minutes to Fredericksburg...well...that depends on the traffic...as you well know. When it warms up, I will try to take you up on that offer!

As for now, just ordered my second set of parts for the 700 N to E. Decided to go with the 800 tail....actually cheaper then to order all of the 700 tail parts. I should have all of the parts needed for the build by this weekend...next will come the electronics...and well, that will take a while. As you well know...it is quite expensive to outfit a 700....and I am not taking any shortcuts, as this thing is a flying HUGE chainsaw...last thing I need is a cheap servo failing, etc. Actually kind of surprised at how cheap the parts are...especailly keeping it flybarred....parts are rather inexpensive. Not looking to stick bang, just large and graceful. Been thinking about how to build a rear battery plate out of aluminum instead of buying the G-Force one...I would buy it, but I don't need the pinion holder and $99 for just the battery plate is too much. Will post some pics when it progresses.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
sjgusmc21
Registered Users

Got my Flybarred LE Head set in yesterday....man, that thing is BLING LICIOUS! And HUGE. Couldn't believe how long the 800 tail tube is. Wow. I am sooooooooooooo wanting to nitro this puppy out...but I know if I do, it will become a shelf queen. Hope all are doing well and HO, HO, HO!!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
aviator493
Registered Users

Summer time can be a little iffy on 95. This time of year, there is no traffic for the most part either way. During the week I am always going against traffic, so it is a non issue then as well!!! Very nice and large field. Electrical hookups, grill clubhouse etc.
aviator493 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
sjgusmc21
Registered Users

Hope all had a Merry Christmas. Been taking my time putting this thing together. Have been looking at a rear battery mount (the G-Force in particuliar), and just couldn't make myself cough up the dough just for a hunk of aluminum. Now, I am not knocking the product...seems to be great. So I was at Home Depot and bought some 1/8" aluminum strip and some thin angle bar to go with it (aluminum as well). About 1 hour later and with the help of my abused Dremel, I now have a rear battery mount. Once I clean it up, cut some holes in it (to lower the weight) and polish it up, will post some pics. I have seen them somewhere else, but can't for the life of me find it now. It also seems to add some strength to the frame as well.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
sjgusmc21
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy View Post
As far as the main gear I would and do run the slant gear. It seems to be able to take the most power of any gear that's out there right now. I also love the fact that it runs very quietly. I would also reccomend you run the 11 tooth pinion. This will let you run mid to high 1900s on the head in governor mode. This should be good for your flying style and is what I run. http://helidirect.com/align-motor-pi...0e-p-24515.hdx I would also recommend a pinion support like the one from KDE. The one-way you bought is fine as there is no difference between the electric and nitro one-ways. Let me know if you have any more questions.
I have taken Mr. Nice Guy's advice and have the slant gear and 11t pinion on hand. However, I would like to know what the main difference would be between the Align 470mx and 510mx motors would be. I am not a 3d Pilot and only sport fly. Length of flight is more important to me. So, anyone have any input? I ask this because I can get the 510mx for $99. Quite a bit cheaper then the 470, or any other motor out there. Have a MX motor in my 500 and love it! Slowly coming together...I have to treat this thing as a 'Capitol Ship', as can only build on it when the budget allows!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Mr Nice Guy
Registered Users

Get 470 KV motor. You can often get a good deal on them on eBay. Gear it for 1700 to 1850 and you will get run times better than 7 or 8 minutes with 5000s. You will need to watch your collective management. With very smooth flying and being easy on the collective you can run up to ten minutes at the lower headspeed. Also run longer blades. 710s are good. If running the lower head speed you will probably have to go with 115s on the tail. This is what I run. Now this setup will not have crazy power but will make good power and run a long time and be easy on the electronics. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
sockrim
Registered Users

Do you have any problems with the slant gear stressing the motor bearings? Or do you install the pinion so it seats on the bearing?
sockrim is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #19
sjgusmc21
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy View Post
Get 470 KV motor. You can often get a good deal on them on eBay. Gear it for 1700 to 1850 and you will get run times better than 7 or 8 minutes with 5000s. You will need to watch your collective management. With very smooth flying and being easy on the collective you can run up to ten minutes at the lower headspeed. Also run longer blades. 710s are good. If running the lower head speed you will probably have to go with 115s on the tail. This is what I run. Now this setup will not have crazy power but will make good power and run a long time and be easy on the electronics. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I am taking your advice and ordering the 470 KV motor this weekend. I have also installed the KDE motor mount (helidirect motor mount would not work without extensive modding), and I have the 11T slant gearing and pinion. I put the 800 tail on this thing, and am debating on going the 800 blades or 720. What do you think?

I am going to order the Hobbywing Delux 160HV and give it a shot. In the meantime, just for testing, I am using the esc off of my trex 600 for setup (CC85HV). Going to strip my 600 and use the electronics from it, minus the motor and esc of course. I know some say that the CC85HV will work on 12s, but I have read too many stories of it flaming up. My servo's are Hyperion and seem to work very well on my 600, and for my non-stick banging flying style, should work good on the 700 as well. This think is coming along, and than you all for your help and guidance.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
Mr Nice Guy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgusmc21 View Post
I am taking your advice and ordering the 470 KV motor this weekend. I have also installed the KDE motor mount (helidirect motor mount would not work without extensive modding), and I have the 11T slant gearing and pinion. I put the 800 tail on this thing, and am debating on going the 800 blades or 720. What do you think?

I am going to order the Hobbywing Delux 160HV and give it a shot. In the meantime, just for testing, I am using the esc off of my trex 600 for setup (CC85HV). Going to strip my 600 and use the electronics from it, minus the motor and esc of course. I know some say that the CC85HV will work on 12s, but I have read too many stories of it flaming up. My servo's are Hyperion and seem to work very well on my 600, and for my non-stick banging flying style, should work good on the 700 as well. This think is coming along, and than you all for your help and guidance.
No problem 'm glad I could help. I personally would go with the 720 blades with that set up. It would be hard to get the head speed low enough for the 800 blades with the 470 KV. I'm currently running a 450 KV motor with the 11 tooth slant pinion and am running 1750-1880 on the head. I would want to drop everything by about 200 RPM with the 800s and would really need something like a 400KV to do that without going too low on the governor. BTW Castle software is often off a little bit. I use an optical tach and high gov mode and adjust head speed with the transmitter. Also when running the low head speeds you will want to run 115 tails. With the 105s the tail was a little weak.

As far as the ESC the HW should work fine. Doubly so with V-bar or Skookum governor. I have not heard good things about the HWs governor but it's not unuseable. I know you have reservations but I have been running a CC Phoenix HV 85 on my heli for years now with no issues. It doesn't even get warm with my setup even if I purposely beat on it. The guy I bought my heli from used it with a 4035-560 scorp running 2360 on the head flying HARD 3D and it survived that just fine. This low speed setup will not be pulling crazy amps so the 85 will be fine. Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else.