Building speed measurement hardware - Page 10 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Speed Helicopters

Speed Helicopters Speed Helicopters. Any brand as long as it goes FASSSSSSSSSTTTTTT!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer View Post
Way to go Wayne!!! So that's what you been up to!!! Cool stuff brother!!!
Living the dream! Ya need to dust off those machines and bring them out to see just how fast they really go.

Team Mikado USA
Logo 480 / Logo 600sx / Logo Uvular / Logo 700 / Vbar Control
Mentalic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
Living the dream! Ya need to dust off those machines and bring them out to see just how fast they really go.
Wayne,
Funny you should say that, I just finished a complete rebuild of my speed heli. New everything bearings, links, shafts, etc... So it won't be long before I get out there, also the big one is coming soon!!!
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 11:10 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer View Post
Wayne,
Funny you should say that, I just finished a complete rebuild of my speed heli. New everything bearings, links, shafts, etc... So it won't be long before I get out there, also the big one is coming soon!!!
Jay,
Just say when and I'm out there. I set up the sleipnir speed system quite often. Have a go fast airplane too, extreme flight Outlaw with EDF 90 motor, sounds like an F1 race car. Had it up to 180mph with a little breeze.

Team Mikado USA
Old 12-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
Jay,
Just say when and I'm out there. I set up the sleipnir speed system quite often. Have a go fast airplane too, extreme flight Outlaw with EDF 90 motor, sounds like an F1 race car. Had it up to 180mph with a little breeze.
Wow!!! That sounds like fun Wayne!!! Ok let me get my self together and I will get back to you... Still have a few things to do..
Banshee # 45 700 LE and 850
jcflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have an update to the Sleipnir system. Again it's the jitter, I try to miminize. I believe I have this down to pretty much nothing now (a single millisecond).

What I have done is implement a "jitter filter" instead of an ugly sleep (Which do work ok) in the code I had before. The camera don't drop frames, and the jitter filter pretty much calculate the exact framerate of the camera and timestamps images on that. If the framerate changes (temperature for example), the filter catches that in a couple of seconds. These are small, small changes. But very important.

This should put the Sleipnir system in the accuracy range of about 1 hundred of a second over the speed run. That is an error of +-1kmh on a 300kmh 200m run. So pretty accurate.

The update can be pulled from github.
Only the ground is the limit!
LinusLarsson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Linus, Thanks for the update. Suggest rebuild Sleipnir base and pod or incremental update?

Team Mikado USA
Old 07-11-2017, 11:52 PM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thks Linus, same question as above, rebuild or update?
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2017, 12:35 AM   #188 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Great work Linus. Looking forward to trying this out sometime in the future
Old 07-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need to rebuild the pods. Just do a "git pull". And cd to "sleipnir-pod/sleipnir" and run the build script.

You also have to remove "--sleep XXX" from your record file (start script). Since it's no longer applicable.

Last edited by LinusLarsson; 07-12-2017 at 03:03 AM..
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got an idea I need to share for Sleipnir. I call it the bug killer, but could potentially be used for making detection easier.

I ordered myself 4 of these on ebay, for peanut money.. It's USB microphones.

Now the idea here is to record the sound of the aircraft, and use that as an logical "AND" if trigger should happen. No sound, no trigger, volume configurable. These should be put on the Camera pods, which already provides USB ports.

To make it even better I was thinking of having two mics arranged as this picture, seen from above, exceptional painting skills. Hopefully what I'm aiming for is coming through...

Now, you may not need to configure the volume anymore, but instead the volume difference between mic1 and mic2. If they have at least some sound and it's fairy even volume, it can trigger.

Extremely hard to say if it will work, how well it will work, if it adds more complexity than it's worth, what will be needed to wind-proof this etc, etc, etc... But I think the basic idea is sound and will play with this a bit when the mics (ordered from china) arrive.

If this works there will be no more "bug beeps" from Sleipnir, and perhaps I could even up the sensitivity a bit on the image recognition to make it even better catching the aircraft. Yes, it is good now, but with more input data, it can always be better.

So there may be some Sleipnir development in the upcoming future!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #191 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Love your concept and drawing!

You may be able to add a consistency check on the speed as well as have another method to determine speed by removing the sound barrier, separating the mics a bit along the flight path and track the difference in volumes. I think the vertical speed component will be removed from the equation too.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

The idea is to use the mics as a rough "window" where the camera can trigger. and they are operated from the pods, which means they have to be at least within a something like a meter from the pods. By directing the mics and have a sound barrier between them I'm hoping to see a difference in volume between them when the aircraft are on the left or right side of the pod.

If the volume difference is large, you are not in the window. If the difference is small, you are in the window for the camera to actually trigger a pass.

There are quite a bit of uncertainty in this, but it's cheap and I think I can easily make a test rig for this to see if it's even feasible... I am 100% NOT a sound engineer, so it may come out as not applicable.. Or too hard to adjust.. Don't know yet, but worth a try.

It has to be easy to operate, Sleipnir takes enough time as it is to set up.

Edit:
Of course, now when thinking about it... If putting the mics 1 meter at either side of the pods I may be able to actually measure when in time the sound hit the pods, time difference between the two mics. Small time difference equals aircraft closer to the "window". That would take some serious processing to match up the sound though, and the mics probably have unspecified latency... But perhaps feasible.

Last edited by LinusLarsson; 08-08-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.