Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Old 08-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
robertvizzo
Registered Users

Default IRCHA 2016 protos goes into the crowd

the person was ok from what I read on the posts. Very luck here man could of been bad, that is why at my fun fly i rent safety fence just for peace of mind.

RC Helicopter Crashes Into Crowd - IRCHA 2016 (0 min 16 sec)
robertvizzo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
hrefab
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No safety fence at IRCHA? They should be ASHAMED of themselves. I'll not be renewing my membership..
hrefab is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
robertvizzo
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default safety fence at ventura 3d rip

[IMG][/IMG]
robertvizzo is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #4
hrefab
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well according to IRCHA...Here's their reply to my questioning their committment to safety; (Bold sections are my emphasis)

International Radio Control Helicopter Association (IRCHA) Jim your concearn is appreciated yet there is no mandatory requirement to have netting, that said in light of the unfortunate incident during battle of the brands this might be something to consider. Please also consider that all the IRCHA board members work tirelessly to promote safety and do so all week and although netting would be ok for some crashes it still wouldnt have helped as the heli would have gone over the top of any netting. Motorsport is inherently dangerous and we do take safety seriously but where do you stop? People love to see the action and allot of people say that a fence only obscures thier viewing pleasure.
Each IRCHA board member works extremely hard and gives thier time for free so no one has any reason or cause to be "fired".

Well, my goodness! "No Mandatory requirement for netting"? Well WHY NOT?

Where do you stop? Answer: YOU NEVER STOP TRYING TO IMPROVE SAFETY.

You think you're a Motorsport? Well, technically I suppose so, but don't go inflating things.. If you REALLY were a legitimate Motorsport, you'd have a clear safety policy in place and no amount of Spectator whining would alter that. I've been involved in Professional Motorsports (NHRA/IHRA/AHRA/FIM and AMA [Motorcycle Racing]) for over 50 years so I know a tiny bit about what I am talking about.

So the spectators 'viewing pleasure' is more important than their safety? Well, I see why I can't ever take IRCHA seriously again...

They folks over at IRCHA need to speak to some Personal Injury Attorneys to find out what the word "exposure"means.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
cmulder
Registered Users

Angry Why was the event not shut down?!

Safety fences are accepted practice in many sports and do not limit the fun of the sports in any way.

What is the government permit system there that this event is even allowed to take place without this basic feature?
cmulder is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
cmulder
Registered Users

Default a injury would be the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrefab View Post
They folks over at IRCHA need to speak to some Personal Injury Attorneys to find out what the word "exposure"means.
If any spectator would have been hurt then they would have had valid grounds to claim the organization into bankruptcy and that might be the end of these meetings.
cmulder is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
denis747
Registered Users

Very much like one of the things that ended Group B rally. Spectators standing too close to the rally cars going at high speed.

Rally Portugal 1986 accident - Group B (1 min 39 sec)
Old 09-22-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
desertstalker
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
Safety fences are accepted practice in many sports and do not limit the fun of the sports in any way.
It was mentioned somewhere that if they put safety fences up for the area near the main stage they would need to do it for the whole flight line (much too expensive). Something about how liability laws work in the US (essentially if you put fences up anywhere you admit they are dangerous and you then needed them everywhere).

That was the legal advice they were apparently given, dont put them up if you cannot afford to do it for the whole area (and maintain them).
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:11 AM   #9
hrefab
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
It was mentioned somewhere that if they put safety fences up for the area near the main stage they would need to do it for the whole flight line (much too expensive). Something about how liability laws work in the US (essentially if you put fences up anywhere you admit they are dangerous and you then needed them everywhere).

That was the legal advice they were apparently given, dont put them up if you cannot afford to do it for the whole area (and maintain them).
Yes, because we all know how dreadfully expensive netting is...
Old 10-26-2016, 12:04 AM   #10
Mr dan
Registered Users

Quote:
No safety fence at IRCHA? They should be ASHAMED of themselves. I'll not be renewing my membership..
I take it you fly behind a safety net?
Trex 150x
Mr dan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:54 AM   #11
hrefab
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'll refrain from responding as the moderators here at Helifreak are extremely sensitive to intelligent and well thought out replies. I don't need another 30 day suspension... Thanks for playing...
Old 11-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
LoveToFly1
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
What is the government permit system there that this event is even allowed to take place without this basic feature?
we live in a free country were our government doesn't tell us what to do.....sorry to have to tell you that.

the idiot that posted that video on youtube should be banned. what more negative press does our hobby need??? how dumb....

after all the years of IRCHA this is one accident at center stage. the first thing they did was move the flight line further away and it was perfectly safe.

the problem with safety nets is a legal one. by installing a safety net you falsely give a sense of security behind the net. meaning a few things - 1) if an accident happens outside of the net your asking for a lawsuit 2) what are you going to do, build a net that is 600' tall and 1.5miles wide?

this is a dangerous hobby guys. if you don't like it, you need to reevaluate your decision to continue on within it.

Team Synergy, Team KDE Direct, Rail Blades, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #13
Skiddz
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I'll refrain from responding as the moderators here at Helifreak are extremely sensitive to intelligent and well thought out replies. I don't need another 30 day suspension... Thanks for playing...

You mean posts like this:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...13#post6146613

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #14
Kap'n Krunch
Registered Users

---
Kap'n Krunch is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
Larry227
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My first IRCHA was 2011 and I believe that was the year a heli ended up behind the vendor tents. I think the guy lost signal or whatever and it went way over everyone's heads and came down on the back corner of Bergen's canopy (at least I think it was his, could be wrong), tore a hole in the canopy and bounced off then landed at the feet of a guy walking behind vendors row.
Considering the trajectory it took I doubt if safety netting on the flight line would have prevented that unless of course it was not only vertical on the flight line but also horizontally covering all the way over vendor row.
Not that I'm against netting or anything, just that you can't make anything 100% safe unless you go to extremes.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #16
hrefab
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree, My issue is not having any netting at all. But I don't run the show. All I can do is not renew my IRCHA membership.I think that this hobby is under such scrutiny with so much misinformation and outright BS that anything we can do to keep it "out of the news" is a good thing. Someone getting hit and injured by a Heli or a Multirotor (I refuse to call them "drones") is just what the imbeciles in the press are hankering for.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #17
3D Ambitions
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertvizzo View Post
the person was ok from what I read on the posts. Very luck here man could of been bad, that is why at my fun fly i rent safety fence just for peace of mind.

RC Helicopter Crashes Into Crowd - IRCHA 2016 - YouTube
Dang officials just stand there with their thumbs up 👍🏽 their butt.
3D Ambitions is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #18
Number
Registered Users

Well what are they gonna do? lol
Number is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #19
3D Ambitions
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Well what are they gonna do? lol
It's their event , rush over and check on who ever got hurt and get them some first aid, show some good faith. Get the damn helicopter out of the crowd...I don't know
3D Ambitions is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #20
Number
Registered Users

Half of them wouldn't have been able to get to the guy with the huge crowd in the way. I'm sure the guys who were near him started doing something right away
Number is offline        Reply With Quote