Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 470 Class Electric Helicopters

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
RappyTappy
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default New 470LM and already outdated parts.

Bought one LM kit beginning of December from a major shop and another a week later from another major shop. Come to find out, one kit is old and outdated already? Different blade grips with no nut holder built in (really a pita), different tail rotor bolts, different auto hub collar/bolt with nut, missing the micro hex driver, shorter tail shaft (known but apparently taking forever to get out) Even the manuals are different, the 'updated' one has more info and a sticker pasted on the page for the auto hub change, lol.

Never knew a new heli could be outdated so fast, so are they going to start using decimals in their versions now V1, V1.1, V1.2, V1.3....

Wouldve been nice to know so I couldve ordered the latest kit, instead now I gotta email Align in Taiwan, wait for a reply, wait for parts if they will even come through, ugh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_104141.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	687187   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_104232.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	687188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_104316.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	687189   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_104854.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	687190   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_104919.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	687191  

Old 01-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
perrypoint
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RappyTappy View Post
Never knew a new heli could be outdated so fast, so are they going to start using decimals in their versions now V1, V1.1, V1.2, V1.3....

Wouldve been nice to know so I couldve order the latest kit, instead now I gotta email Align in Taiwan, ugh.
Kudos to Align for recognizing the weaknesses and improving the design. But next time, please do it BEFORE the release so we don't end up with all this confusion and need to update parts! Maybe they were trying to hit the Christmas shopping season and rushed the release.
I ordered a replacement tail drive assembly and it came with the old (shorter) shaft. Not the end of the world, but a pain for sure.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
Andy from Sandy
Registered Users

I don't see a weakness in the bottom collar. I thought that was a good idea not having a nut. What is wrong with it?

Removing the blind nut from the blade grips is just making it cheaper which I doubt they are passing on.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
RappyTappy
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

The nut on the bottom collar is nice because no loctite needed, just bolt and go and no worries about it ever coming loose or stripping the collar. Its just a more secure method imo.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Andy from Sandy
Registered Users

Quote:
...or stripping the collar.
That's not going to happen here.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
RappyTappy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not going to derail my thread as this is not a what is a better design thread, but over time the bolt taken in and out will wear the collar threads, to each their own. *Edit* after looking at it, the new design has the shank go all the way through the collar versus the old one I have where the threads are taking side loads, not good and can lead to the bolt fracturing at that point. So yes, design flaw.

The point of this thread is its not the updated part with no mention by Align that they even updated it according to the hobby shop, they say they are in the dark that there are differences between kits except the tail shaft. Whats up with that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_133703.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	687217  
Old 01-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #7
learnedthehardway
Registered Users

Never stripped out a collar but certainly stripped a bolt out in one which is a PITA. That was when I was new and ham fisted but agree that a nut is a good idea

People piss and moan when things take forever to be released after they're announced or when a release is delayed but that prevents things like this from happening.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
RappyTappy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I never moaned about the release date and would have like to received a kit without old designs that do have flaws, totally sucks having to use a nut driver, allen driver and tighten blades.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
gimbleguy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RappyTappy View Post
Not going to derail my thread as this is not a what is a better design thread, but over time the bolt taken in and out will wear the collar threads, to each their own. *Edit* after looking at it, the new design has the shank go all the way through the collar versus the old one I have where the threads are taking side loads, not good and can lead to the bolt fracturing at that point. So yes, design flaw.

The point of this thread is its not the updated part with no mention by Align that they even updated it according to the hobby shop, they say they are in the dark that there are differences between kits except the tail shaft. Whats up with that?
Yeah that one i'd change to the newer version(put a longer shouldered jesus bolt).

As for the others they are more of an upgrade especially for the LP guys, but not required.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
Number
Registered Users

I know it's not a real solution, but you could use a little epoxy to secure the nut to the grip. Put the epoxy on the grip, put the bolt through, install the nut and tighten it. Let it completely cure. Next time you take the grip bolt out the nut will be glued in place. It's not ideal but it works. Might need to scratch up the surface of the grip under the nut to help the epoxy stick. Just be careful not to get epoxy in the threads.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
yakky
Registered Users

That's just how align works, the models just get updated as things go along. NBD in my book unless you are one of those that gets bothered by these kinds of things.

How's it fly?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
RappyTappy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The only thing that isnt a big deal is the tail grip bolts. But imo the autorotation collar is disconcerting considering since I fly hard. Also, having to loosen and tighten the blade bolts everytime I go out so I can fold the blades is just a PITA thing. Guess Im just trying to figure this out as since everyone Ive talked to is thinking Im taking crazy pills.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
Number
Registered Users

Why would you have to tighten and loosen the bolts?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
Dogdipstick
Registered Users

Threads make great bearing surfaces, when bearing a nut amd / or the surfaces are small. Smaller bearing means lower friction. Low friction. Long as the load is adequately supported and designed for.

Threading bolts in and out actually hones thread mating surfaces, and work hardens the thread surface, given it is not damaged. I was shown to turn in and out head studs on high strung engines many times until the studs were seated before coating the nuts in oil and torquing the head down.

Not like I never had an engine break, or a head I put together didn't blow, though. Must be luck sometimes lol. Whatever. Stupid combustion power. I don't design rc helicopters, though, I just try and run engines (into the grave).
Old 01-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
RappyTappy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Why would you have to tighten and loosen the bolts?
Because I run my blades tight for flying. Dont derail my thread, makes no bearing what I like to do, but the fact that the part has been updated without any fact noted.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #16
Number
Registered Users

Do you run them so tight that they literally won't fold?
Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #17
RappyTappy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You aint gonna hijack this one. Thread closed, hopefully this sheds light to prospective buyers to make sure they dont get a old new kit.