700 Size Power: BEC or RX Pack? - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk


Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please


View Poll Results: What power system do you prefer for a 700 size electric?
BEC 37 26.43%
BEC + UPS Backup 41 29.29%
RX Pack 49 35.00%
RX Pack + UPS Backup 12 8.57%
Other 4 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_JR View Post
Would you guys say the likelihood of a bec or main pack failure is higher than the bec being overloaded and frying the electronics?.
If the BEC is good quality and suitably rated the chance of either failure is slight. The way I look at it helis mechanically and electrically have scores of 'single points of failures' any one of which will end your day badly. I dont see that the BEC is inherently any less reliable than many of those other single point failures?.
__________________
Gob 700 Speed | Gob 770 Carb. Comp | Gob 630 Comp | Trex 700X | KDS Agile 7.2 | Compass 7HV U | Trex 600Pro (626 stretch) | Kasama Dune 600 | KDS Chase 360 | Devil 420
Grumpy_Old_Man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
If the BEC is good quality and suitably rated the chance of either failure is slight. The way I look at it helis mechanically and electrically have scores of 'single points of failures' any one of which will end your day badly. I dont see that the BEC is inherently any less reliable than many of those other single point failures?.
A well designed BEC is no easy task and there have been reports of quite a few failures on the forums over the years. Not only when they shut down from overheating, but when they fail passing the full voltage to all the on-board electronics (FBL, servos, etc.) causing a total wipe out. There are only a few BECs I would trust. YMMV.
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 274
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
A well designed BEC is no easy task and there have been reports of quite a few failures on the forums over the years. Not only when they shut down from overheating, but when they fail passing the full voltage to all the on-board electronics (FBL, servos, etc.) causing a total wipe out. There are only a few BECs I would trust. YMMV.
Care to elaborate?
__________________
RCHN #825
Blade 550x, Blade 360 cfx, Blade 180 cfx
bredler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredler View Post
Care to elaborate?
Kontronik (ESC+BEC), Western Robotics, R2 Prototyping, and Emcotec are, IMHO, the brands I have the most confidence in.
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 281
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Default

Hv set up on my 700 dominator- 1000mah lipo with back up guard.
__________________
Goblin 570, Goblin BT700
exiged is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dude View Post
Kontronik (ESC+BEC), Western Robotics, R2 Prototyping, and Emcotec are, IMHO, the brands I have the most confidence in.
Often people assume highest price must automatically mean highest reliability. The term we use at work is 'reassuringly expensive'

The only BEC I've had fail was a Gryphon Quasar 7075LMT (also my most expensive BEC!). But at least it failed in a safe way; one day i plugged the battery in and it simply didn't power up. A known issue apparently, something to do with inrush current on connection, it couldn't happen in normal operation, only on connection.
__________________
Gob 700 Speed | Gob 770 Carb. Comp | Gob 630 Comp | Trex 700X | KDS Agile 7.2 | Compass 7HV U | Trex 600Pro (626 stretch) | Kasama Dune 600 | KDS Chase 360 | Devil 420
Grumpy_Old_Man is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
Often people assume highest price must automatically mean highest reliability. The term we use at work is 'reassuringly expensive'

The only BEC I've had fail was a Gryphon Quasar 7075LMT (also my most expensive BEC!). But at least it failed in a safe way; one day i plugged the battery in and it simply didn't power up. A known issue apparently, something to do with inrush current on connection, it couldn't happen in normal operation, only on connection.
Speaking from my own personal experience, I've never had a Kontronik fail me.
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,637
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiged View Post
Hv set up on my 700 dominator- 1000mah lipo with back up guard.
nice and light. How many flights can you get on it?

I usually limit to 3 flights on my 2200mah 2S. It yeilds 4.00 volts per cell after 3 flights. Safe and plenty of headroom for voltage sag.

I bring two 2200mah to the field and get 6 flights on the big bird.
__________________
*LINKS*
* G700c IKON * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
HF Support
 
Posts: 39,315
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: McKinney, TX
Default

One reason I prefer using a BEC is I don't want to have to keep track of the charge on two batteries. Using a BEC is like getting a freshly charged receiver pack on every flight...assuming the flight pack was charged.
__________________
Alan (just call me "Bum"; no need to be so formal)
HeliFreak Support
DT520Ev2 (VBar), Protos Max Evo 700 (Brain 2), Protos Max V2 770 (iKON 2)
Graupner MZ-24 Pro

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 906
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sweden
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
nice and light. How many flights can you get on it?

I usually limit to 3 flights on my 2200mah 2S. It yeilds 4.00 volts per cell after 3 flights. Safe and plenty of headroom for voltage sag.

I bring two 2200mah to the field and get 6 flights on the big bird.
You are very conservative, 4.00v per cell is around 70% (or soo) left in the pack. I fly a smaller battery, 2S 1300mAh (75g) and they hold for a couple of flights with room to spare.

On my R5 I use a 850mAh battery and charge every flight.
__________________
Trex 700E DFC - Logo 690SX - Gaui R5 - V-Bar Control
V-Bar Control flight analyzer (Win/OSX/Linux) - Latest release v5.0.0 July 5 - 2017
Sleipnir timing system - How fast can you fly?
Only the ground is the limit!
LinusLarsson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,637
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusLarsson View Post
You are very conservative, 4.00v per cell is around 70% (or soo) left in the pack. I fly a smaller battery, 2S 1300mAh (75g) and they hold for a couple of flights with room to spare.

On my R5 I use a 850mAh battery and charge every flight.
Anal retentiveness sounds better than conservative.

LMAO
__________________
*LINKS*
* G700c IKON * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #52 (permalink)
HF Support
 
Posts: 14,010
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Qld, AUSTRALIA
Default

I crashed once because of a UPS backup. I run most of my big electrics off a BEC - usually in a Kosmik or Jive. I usually have a switch in the line from BEC to flight electronics. I took my speed TDR up once with the Scorpion UPS backup,switched on from a previous flight - I had however forgotten to turn on the inline switch from the BEC - result enough power to spool up, take off, fly forward, then all control,lost as the tiny UPS lipo drained! Remarkably the heli powered down in a shallow dive and landed almost damage free in long grass!
__________________
John
Mercuriell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
I crashed once because of a UPS backup. I run most of my big electrics off a BEC - usually in a Kosmik or Jive. I usually have a switch in the line from BEC to flight electronics. I took my speed TDR up once with the Scorpion UPS backup,switched on from a previous flight - I had however forgotten to turn on the inline switch from the BEC - result enough power to spool up, take off, fly forward, then all control,lost as the tiny UPS lipo drained! Remarkably the heli powered down in a shallow dive and landed almost damage free in long grass!
Why would you put a switch between the BEC output and the on-board electronics?

I have a switch between my buffer pack and on-board electronics, but never thought about putting one between the BEC and on-board electronics.
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,093
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse View Post
All align combos come with one. It is the Hobbywing 130A V4 ESC and there have been no negative reports about that one.
I would say that BEC is solid. I still went for the Ultraguard because it is cheap and very light. It wouldn't be needed most likely though.
I thought Aligh was bundling Castle ESCs with their packages now?
__________________
"Keep it pithy."
eAurora, TREX600E, TREX 600 HFEX, TREX500, Vibe 50
(Professional grade pretzel maker).
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,093
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Default

How "safe" is it to use HV servos and just run a 2 Cell LIPO? I read someplace this was risky. On my 700 size Heli I use a ReactorX (which I'd love to find another of), with a 3 cell lipo.

I want to setup my new heli as simple as possible, but not risk failure. I have a 7200BX, which is not designed for high amp service, but my thought was I could run the power leads directly to the servos and bypass the receiver. I did something like this on my TREX 500, but it's been awhile. My biggest concern is that a simple 2 cell lipo may suffer a sag in voltage and do me in.
__________________
"Keep it pithy."
eAurora, TREX600E, TREX 600 HFEX, TREX500, Vibe 50
(Professional grade pretzel maker).
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,026
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
Why not power the BEC from the main flight battery?
That's why they are called 'Battery Eliminator Circuits'.. They are intended to eliminate the need for a separate Rx battery.

Otherwise just use an Rx pack with no BEC?
I find it really convenient to be able to power up the heli without the motor being armed. It's very similar to Flying Nitro.

My tail servo cannot handle a 2's pack.
__________________
Keep your skids up!
TEAM FLYBAR
130x, X3 Sprint, Goblin 500 ikon, Align 600 Nitro fb, Logo 600 ikon, DX7, No more money...
CompleteDestruction is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 9,120
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
On my 700's and bigger always use a 2s Lipo or LiFe with voltage telemetry and alarms. A 2s pack is a reliable solution and the telemetry means you can never take off without a charged pack. I feel adding backup guards to this increases the complexity with very little improvement in reliability.

//Dennis.
This works too:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rush_voltage_meter.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	688194  
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteDestruction View Post
I find it really convenient to be able to power up the heli without the motor being armed. It's very similar to Flying Nitro.

My tail servo cannot handle a 2's pack.
I use a small 2s LiFe buffer pack (as recommended by KONTRONIK) with a Futaba HD switch harness between the pack and the on-board electronics. I can power up the on-board electronics w/o connecting the flight pack, just like a typical wet fuel setup.
Ace Dude is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 274
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh
Default

Whoa there buddy. Your heli's gonna crash! That voltage indicator only costs like $3!!!
__________________
RCHN #825
Blade 550x, Blade 360 cfx, Blade 180 cfx
bredler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 9,120
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
but that includes the ESC to Rx wiring harness which you would have to add to the Rx pack. So to all intents and purposes you save the full weight of the Rx pack (116g in this case).
One thing I like about the 3DIGI, no wiring harness required just solder an XT60 onto the dedicated power leads and your good to go.

Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply




Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Location
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1