Too many helis, not enough time! - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

View Poll Results: Is your fleet all ready to fly most all the time?
Heck yeah my helicopters are usually all ready to fly! 100 56.18%
Heck no I always have something that needs work no matter what! 78 43.82%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Too many helis, not enough time!

So I have to admit I have a problem. Yep.. too many helis and not enough time. Seriously, I have enough parts to have about 15 different helicopters running, plus a couple spares. However I only really have 3-5 actually ready to go. 2-3 that are close, and the rest, including my big models, that need rebuilt from the ground up basically.

No matter how bad I want to work on helis or even fly them I don't have the time to. Being a truck driver I work wonky hours and probably average twice as many hours a week as a normal human being. When I am home I am exhausted bc of the lack of a regular sleep cycle.

It would obviously make a lot of sense for me to only own 3-5 helis total and keep up with them. But if you say I should sell the ones I don't use right now I will look at you like you are crazy! They represent my heli dreams and I'm happy just looking at them even if I can never find time to repair and fly them.

So my question is: Do you only own helis that you can actively keep running and ready to go or do you always seem to have a few models that you never seem to get to so your fleet is usually in some kind of state of disrepair despite wanting to get them all done? I know this all fluctuates but I am just curious in general how many keep up with their fleet and how many have more projects and dreams ready to work on that in all likelihood will never be all completed on a regular basis.

Maybe I am not the only one with dreams and shelf queens?

Jeti DS-16 and a K110.
Indokast is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 18 and just bought 3 more and that's for a 12 month period ... what do you think ?
When my friend asks if I want to sell one I ask him "Are you crazy ?"
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
I have 18 and just bought 3 more and that's for a 12 month period ... what do you think ?
I think we have something in common BrokeDad lol.

If you can keep up with all that I am shocked and at least slightly jealous!

Jeti DS-16 and a K110.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 3 helicopters. I have had a whole lot more than that, but sold them. 3 is enough for me, otherwise I have to many parts laying around.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
I have 3 helicopters. I have had a whole lot more than that, but sold them. 3 is enough for me, otherwise I have to many parts laying around.
See why can't I do this? Lol. I just love messing with various models and components but unless I am retired they will likely never all be working at once.

Even if I did have em all flying I'd just buy another kit and stare at it in awe.

Jeti DS-16 and a K110.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have just the two.. 500 and 700... and 2 lipos and 2 deep cycles.. really who needs more than those two sizes (unless your new). They are always ready to go and I have plenty of time to fly in the summer. Winter is out due to weather.. a nice respite to sim and get excited.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

At the moment, I think 20 to 30 of them could fly right now if I needed them to.

Three of the nitro ones are not flyable as the fuel lines need to be replaced (I used to do this once a year, but stopped-I would not dare fly them now without doing this).
Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have plenty of heli's...more than most...

So there's always something to do...

But on any given day I can pack up for a full day of flying without having to worry that I'll crash something early and not be able to fly the rest of the day
Old 01-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indokast View Post
So I have to admit I have a problem. Yep.. too many helis and not enough time. Seriously, I have enough parts to have about 15 different helicopters running, plus a couple spares. However I only really have 3-5 actually ready to go. 2-3 that are close, and the rest, including my big models, that need rebuilt from the ground up basically.

No matter how bad I want to work on helis or even fly them I don't have the time to. Being a truck driver I work wonky hours and probably average twice as many hours a week as a normal human being. When I am home I am exhausted bc of the lack of a regular sleep cycle.

It would obviously make a lot of sense for me to only own 3-5 helis total and keep up with them. But if you say I should sell the ones I don't use right now I will look at you like you are crazy! They represent my heli dreams and I'm happy just looking at them even if I can never find time to repair and fly them.

So my question is: Do you only own helis that you can actively keep running and ready to go or do you always seem to have a few models that you never seem to get to so your fleet is usually in some kind of state of disrepair despite wanting to get them all done? I know this all fluctuates but I am just curious in general how many keep up with their fleet and how many have more projects and dreams ready to work on that in all likelihood will never be all completed on a regular basis.

Maybe I am not the only one with dreams and shelf queens?

I am on the same boat, and I am trying make time. I got too many hobbies as well. A bit of everything atm.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I couldn't imagine keeping more than 3 at a time. I would like to build a copy of my X3 so when I crash it I'll have another one to fly. Other than that, I'm mostly content just sticking to one model

RCHN Listener Chat (Discord) - https://discord.gg/6SvCccC
corywrx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a similar problem with having too many helis. I just can't bring myself to get rid of them unless I'm completely done with them. Not to mention the resale value on them is nothing.

I do however get into a heli binge every couple months and get most of them flying. Once I get some progress going on a shelf queen it's easy to get 2 or 3 helis built back up and jam out a bunch of maintenance and setup.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
I have just the two.. 500 and 700... and 2 lipos and 2 deep cycles.. really who needs more than those two sizes (unless your new). They are always ready to go and I have plenty of time to fly in the summer. Winter is out due to weather.. a nice respite to sim and get excited.
2 lipos.. do you just share them and recharge after every flight or two? If so that is economicall! I have probably 40-50 lipos if you count my micros and trucks.

You know what I'd like to know that number.. I may go count all my lipos I can find and update ya.

Jeti DS-16 and a K110.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indokast View Post
See why can't I do this? Lol. I just love messing with various models and components but unless I am retired they will likely never all be working at once.

Even if I did have em all flying I'd just buy another kit and stare at it in awe.
Oh I'd love to buy more. But I can only transport and fly so many helicopters. I don't have to struggle with which ones to take to the field and which ones to fly. I take all 3 and fly all 3 of them while I am at the field. I typically have 4 batteries for each of my helicopters. Except my 700, which I have 6 batteries, but that equals 3 flights.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

So far the poll is progressing about how I figured.. more peeps with perhaps a smaller but fully functional fleet vs the 1/3 of us or so that are up to our eyeballs in projects with not enough time to realistically get it all done and adequately maintained.

I'm curious to see how the poll progresses and read about your experiences!

Jeti DS-16 and a K110.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
When my friend asks if I want to sell one I ask him "Are you crazy ?"

wow - can you show a picture about how you get all 18+3 in the car?

21 helis - keeps you busy all day to grant one flight for each heli
Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Too many: 6 total currently, but they are are all in good/excellent flying condition. I'm currently building a 7th, a Trex 700X from Aero Hobbies I bought "for Christmas" with my wife's help.
I flew 5 of them yesterday!

Frankly I cannot sleep at night if I have one that's "supposed" to be ready to fly, and isn't for whatever reason.

I have to agree with this:
Quote:
But on any given day I can pack up for a full day of flying without having to worry that I'll crash something early and not be able to fly the rest of the day
One more thing: I have at least one heli a DT520eV2 (which I love) that likely cannot be repaired if I have a bad crash since they stopped making them This, of course, justified another purchase of an Align whose parts (I expect) will always be available.
gmann is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
It is a hobby, I don't really even need the hobby

But it is nice, something I can do around the house and an excuse to go somewhere to fly.

Other hobbies may require meeting up with others at specific times such as CAF where we have set hours 2 days a week at a location about 30 min. away.

If I have something else that takes priority, I miss one or both of those time frames.

I have some older gear that is no longer of any value other than I get to alter it as I see fit, due to no longer of any value

And tinkering with the newer tech, which would really be all I need too, not more

Had the CX2's and parts until recently, a coworker is also a tinkerer so I figured he would be a good next owner.

His wife likely shudders since he tends to be accident prone. He leaned a fresnel lens against the garage one day. Later when the sun came into position, lens melted a hole in the siding, clear through to the garage floor, nearly igniting the garage!

In his cube, he has one or more magnets on the credenza and a magnet suspended on fish line from the ceiling and sets that in motion in various patterns. The line is very thin, he sometimes "decorates" the suspended magnet, could be a moth like appearance or more often, some small grandkids toy.

By definition, inventorying all that would be considered RC, I'm lucky if 15% is viable at this point

But I have fun, mucking about on the bench, modding items, not always for RC purposes.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4711 View Post
wow - can you show a picture about how you get all 18+3 in the car?
Fortunately I can just walk outside and go flying. The majority of them have never traveled except from store to home or seller to home. I do have one (500EFL Pro) that has sat in it's kit box now for 11+ months. Maybe I can get Maypole to buy it so he has spare parts for his.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have 5 main heli's and try to always have 3 ready to fly (380's - 700's). 2 heli's are not my favorites but are good back ups and tend to not have mishaps with such low air time, not many spares are kept around for them. There are a few skeletons in the closet that are there for posterity. The used market is so depressed it is not worth selling too much off.

One thing I like to do is build spare head and tail assemblies for the ones that get flown all the time. It makes for a quicker repair after a crash and is a comprehensive way of knowing you have the most critical parts available. It is also nice for trouble shooting, just change out the sub-assembly.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got about 20 lipos, yep too many

And I will be buying more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.