Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 470 Class Electric Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450L vs 470

Looking at one of the Align 400 size helis. Thought I had my mind made up on the 450L Dominator, but then started looking at the 470. I would be buying a super combo, and the prices are pretty comparable.

Any thoughts on one over the other? I am a novice/sport/scale flyer that might "toy" with the idea of some soft 3D maneuvers.

Update: Just found a similar thread on the 450 forum. Sorry for the duplication, but discussion in this forum is welcome.
AAirbus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAirbus View Post
Looking at one of the Align 400 size helis. Thought I had my mind made up on the 450L Dominator, but then started looking at the 470. I would be buying a super combo, and the prices are pretty comparable.

Any thoughts on one over the other? I am a novice/sport/scale flyer that might "toy" with the idea of some soft 3D maneuvers.

Update: Just found a similar thread on the 450 forum. Sorry for the duplication, but discussion in this forum is welcome.
There really is no reason to go with the 450 unless you have a small field, and at that point an oxy 3 is a better choice.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 470L Just Better

Quote:
Any thoughts on one over the other? I am a novice/sport/scale flyer that might "toy" with the idea of some soft 3D maneuvers..[/I]
My 450Ls are very very similar to my 470Ls w some parts interchangeable.

IMO 470L is the state of the art. Better design Better parts Lower maintenance Better flyer Kit is better made More room to install electroinic gear Go with 6s or two piggy back two 3s which is impossible to do with 450s
Size is only 1" longer

I was a TT guy and do not like belts but the 470L belt its better than the old TT design
Memphis3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I would I agree, the 470 is great. I wold go for it.
Squier250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I own both and here is my two cents. 470L is superior. However if you want a slightly smaller heli with a torque tube instead of a belted tail, then go 450L. Both are awesome. 470L is just beefier, slightly larger, and a belted tail.

Oh.. the 470L also has an extra, third, bearing block and the efl head. The 450L has dfc head. The efl head would be better for sport flying imo, has a smoother feel.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 470L Skid

Oh
One thing on a 450L Align or clone
Trash
450L landing skid and buy / install 470L landing skids.
TT are not damage tolerant and the raked 470L skid almost eliminates the problems.
Memphis3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just pulled the trigger and bought a nearly-new 470LM from the classifieds here in HF. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for all of the input.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Just pulled the trigger and bought a nearly-new 470LM from the classifieds here in HF. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for all of the input.
Congrats, you'll love it. Its an amazing heli and an incredible price. Speaking of the classifieds, I keep seeing 450Ls for $300-500, hoping no one falls for them. IMO the 470 has killed their value, I don't think I could pay more than $200 for a clean 450L BNF knowing that for a bit over 300 I'd have a brand new 470LP.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
Congrats, you'll love it. Its an amazing heli and an incredible price. Speaking of the classifieds, I keep seeing 450Ls for $300-500, hoping no one falls for them. IMO the 470 has killed their value, I don't think I could pay more than $200 for a clean 450L BNF knowing that for a bit over 300 I'd have a brand new 470LP.
I would have thought that 450's would have been flooding the market as well, but I just didn't see that many FBL that fit the bill. It may take awhile for folks to migrate to the 470, then we'll have to see.

I picked up a 470LM here on HF for $475, which included three new Pulse 1800 batteries. In considering the cost of the kit alone, I think it was not a bad deal. The kit alone was $482, and the heli was built right after Christmas. Can't wait to try it out.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
I would have thought that 450's would have been flooding the market as well, but I just didn't see that many FBL that fit the bill. It may take awhile for folks to migrate to the 470, then we'll have to see.

I picked up a 470LM here on HF for $475, which included three new Pulse 1800 batteries. In considering the cost of the kit alone, I think it was not a bad deal. The kit alone was $482, and the heli was built right after Christmas. Can't wait to try it out.
AAirbus, please keep us in the loop...I have a T450 DFC with the torque tube setup. I really like it because it doesn't run into static discharge issues like my belted Heli's here in the dry air of Utah. Lubing belts and running extra ground wires is a part of my maintenance I wish I didn't have.

However, my 450 DFC CF tail blade hit a small pebble (read small), which caused the spider gears closest to the main gear to be chipped & cracked. Thanks Memphis3 for that 470L skids idea!

So, I'm highly interested in the 470LM or LP because of how well it flies in video's and it's low headspeed capability with the new head setup.

Does the new 470 handle static discharges fairly well?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have any static on my 470.
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
I don't have any static on my 470.
This 470L just keeps looking sweeter!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Grats man. Keep us posted on how you like it!
Old 01-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3L72 View Post
This 470L just keeps looking sweeter!
Well let me clarify. I haven't had any ISSUES with static. 120 flights in and I haven't encountered any issues. Of course there's no way to actually know if it's there, short of experiencing issues with radio or ESC systems. That said, from what I've read in the last few months the 470 is free of the static plague.
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Well let me clarify. I haven't had any ISSUES with static. 120 flights in and I haven't encountered any issues. Of course there's no way to actually know if it's there, short of experiencing issues with radio or ESC systems. That said, from what I've read in the last few months the 470 is free of the static plague.
Copy that Static plagues my 300X & 450X here. My T450 DFC is ideal to fly here in Utah with its torque tube tail but I'm truly not a fan of DFC. That's why this 470L appeals to me. Align got this bird right.

Last edited by R3L72; 01-14-2017 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Word spelling.
R3L72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in