Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Section

New Member Section If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to Heli's in Indianapolis

Well I always start in the new member introductions area in any forum I join so here I am.
My name is Tyler I am 32 yo. I have been into the RC hobby since I was 14. I've never owned a Heli other than the small cheap things that I dont really think you can call a heli.

That being said I have owned countless planes. Right now I only have one my focus has been on multirotors. Interesting fact I have never purchased a RTF or an BNF unit. I always purchase Kits and build. Even as teenager.

I have a 750mm quad that I have over $1500 invested. Its my baby. I also have a 250 size for acting stupid and crashing.

Helicopters have always interested me. Honestly though who doesnt think an RC helicopter is just cool as all get out. So I have decided to take the plunge.

I want a 450 size kit. I would never be able to save up the money to get one that is ready to fly nor would I want to. I do believe that building allows you to understand your craft better and you end up with a knowledge of why this does that.

So that is what I am looking for a 450 kit flybarless that is not going to cost over 200-250. So if anyone could be of some assistance and give me opinions on a decent kit that would be awesome.

Last edited by Mercuriell; 12-31-2016 at 04:37 PM..
jtroutt19 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I do not have the ability to edit my posts yet so if someone can an add Indianapolis, IN to the title would be great!
Old 12-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome to HF and Happy New Year -

Quads are a good foundation for single rotor. If you don't already have a sim, that would be a really good first acquisition before diving into collective pitch. Heli-X has a free demo that includes an excellent hover trainer, but there are plenty of others.

In the heli world, RTF and BNF are often cheaper than kit builds. If you happen to have a Spektrum radio, that opens up the Blade line.

On the kit front, the least expensive 450 option is probably this: Trex 470 LP. That includes all the electronics.

Another option is the Gaui X3. The Gaui has some versions with specific electronics, but you are going to spend more by the time you have add everything.

You can also check the classifieds for used models. The X3 comes up fairly often at a reasonable price with electronics.

There are a lot of other choices (espcially if you go with something older and used) but you'll do fine if you go with one of these. The X3 is a well-loved 450 that has a reputation for being built like a tank and still flying great. (The X3L is fairly new...) the Trex 470L is a new heli that has been getting some good press. (Note that it comes in plastic (P) and metal (M) versions.)
Old 12-31-2016, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome. Keep an eye on the used for sale section. What you want is not impossible. I picked up a used custom built 450X this summer for $130 that was RTF with a Spektrum TX. A little old on the electronics but still flyable. It has since been updated.
Your past flying experience will be a huge benefit.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys thanks alot! I appreciate the responses. I never thought about buying used. I have a 9xr pro transmitter so I have the option to swap modules and be able to use just about any RX out there just have to buy a module so no big deal.

I have real flight 7.5. Love it I have flown heli's on it before. Lots of fun! I have been practicing.The switch was not that difficult. I know I would end up spending more on a kit. I really dont mind but used is a great idea!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome! Take a look at the for sale thread and you will definitely find a heli in your price range. I prefer going new, and like you, I look to learn from ground up with building it.

I would take a look at the Goblin 380. The kits are discounted because of the new Goblin420. Or I would take a look at the Gaui X3. I'm building a X3 and it is a straightforward build. Buy some Kst servos, iKon FBL, motor and a HW ESC (or whatever you want) and you are good to go.

Best of luck and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a few PM's sent out. Hopefully I can get my hands on something towards the end of the week. So one of the things I have to ask. A flybarless system is just a flight controller correct? Whats the benefit of buying a unit that is marketed as a flybarless control system over a flight controller?
Old 01-01-2017, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Flybarless" (also FBL) refers to the microprocessor and code that makes the heli much more easily flyable. It's more or less equivalent to what you guys in the quad/drone world refer to as "flight controller". It's a tiny box that fits in the heli, and into which you plug the servos and ESC. The distinction is really between flybar (FB) and flybarless helis. New helis are all FBL. Used helis, especially the most inexpensive ones, can be FB. If budget is your main constraint, an older FB heli can often be had for around $100 with everything.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I think I have found what I want from a member here. It is an assault 450l that has some align parts on it. And from what I understand the assault 450l is basically a rebranded garrt 450l which is basically a clone trex 450. So as long as it doesn't sell by the end of this week I am going to pick it up.

Time to get on the sim and get my skills a little better.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

welcome sir. great way to start the new year.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yip the only thing I am battling with myself is the size. I can buy this and basically be ready to go but I would be left wanting cause I like big things.

My only other options is to buy a kit I can get a nice 700 size kit from a friend for 200. It would take me a couple months to get everything for it to be able to fly though. Kids birthdays are the first couple months of the year so that is why. I really want a big bird and I just feel like a 450 will not be big enough for me.

Am I just being silly or what?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroutt19 View Post
Yip the only thing I am battling with myself is the size. I can buy this and basically be ready to go but I would be left wanting cause I like big things.

My only other options is to buy a kit I can get a nice 700 size kit from a friend for 200. It would take me a couple months to get everything for it to be able to fly though. Kids birthdays are the first couple months of the year so that is why. I really want a big bird and I just feel like a 450 will not be big enough for me.

Am I just being silly or what?
700 can do some serious damage. If I would have started with one, I'd probably be missing body parts lol. Maybe you will pick up Heli flying quick with the quad experience, but I'd still think it would be safer to try something smaller first. Or maybe at least see how you do on a sim first? Sim should be on the list no matter what size you start with.

Edit: sorry, missed that you had real flight already. That's what I use also, great for skill building. That being said, the sim is a lot easier than the real deal!
slogoat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

In the sim I can do basic tail in and nose in hover. I can even do inverted hover. I can fly around, its a bit sloppy but I dont crash the thing. I can land and I have even done the auto rotation training and have mastered that. I understand damage lol. I have been hit by my 15in props on my quad at 3/4 throttle...Hurts! I have a respect for props and I do not want to get hit or hit anyone with a helicopter blade no matter the size. I would crash my aircraft before hitting some one or something.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
In the sim I can do basic tail in and nose in hover. I can even do inverted hover. I can fly around, its a bit sloppy but I dont crash the thing. I can land and I have even done the auto rotation training and have mastered that. I understand damage lol. I have been hit by my 15in props on my quad at 3/4 throttle...Hurts! I have a respect for props and I do not want to get hit or hit anyone with a helicopter blade no matter the size. I would crash my aircraft before hitting some one or something.
Right on. Being you are shopping used, or looking to slowly piece something together I'd say start small. In my experience, progress comes quick when you don't have to worry about down time because repairs are cheap, if even necessary. Putting a 700 in will likely cost a pretty penny. I'm sure others will feel different, but that's my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I added it all up and I am looking at somewhere around 700-800 bucks total well add another 100 for a battery. This year is going to be tight after march. Me and my wife are opening a business and all money is going to go back into that so that is why I am really battling about it. If I go with the 450 I wont be able to buy something new until next year 2018 I know I would be happy with a 700 I am not sure if I would be with a 450.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I added it all up and I am looking at somewhere around 700-800 bucks total well add another 100 for a battery. This year is going to be tight after march. Me and my wife are opening a business and all money is going to go back into that so that is why I am really battling about it. If I go with the 450 I wont be able to buy something new until next year 2018 I know I would be happy with a 700 I am not sure if I would be with a 450.
Well it sounds like you know what you want. Wish you the best with whatever route you go, and on your business venture. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

but thats just it I dont...lol I dont know why this is such a hard decision for me. My R/C hobbies have never been this way...
Old 01-02-2017, 12:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
but thats just it I dont...lol I dont know why this is such a hard decision for me. My R/C hobbies have never been this way...
Well, I will tell you something with 360mm blades looks a lot bigger in action than it does on the shelf, if you haven't seen any fly in person. That being said, I've got a 450 sized Heli and just about have everything to start on a 700. However, I have a lot of crashes under my belt, and have come a long way in the past year. No way I would have started with a 700, especially after seeing them fly in person and knowing the crash costs. If I would have, I definitely wouldn't be in the hobby any more lol.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's impossible to best the RTF Walkera 450 which is all over Ebay. I started flying Heli's several years ago with this one, and I now have one with a scale body on it.

They are set up out of the box, easy to fly compared to the rest, almost indestructible, and parts are cheap and easily found. Heck, one time it was cheaper for me to buy a new unit vs. buying a few parts.

Do not under estimate them, I have 2 that I still fly for practice!

Dennis
TRex700MRX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

On size...

The safety factor has been raised a couple of times. (Did we mention that a 700 can put you in the morgue?) Also, if you are planning to fly in or near a public space, a 700 is much more likely to intimidate random people into reporting you as a safety hazard. Of course, if you have a large private field, the only person you need to worry about is yourself.

Not sure that crash cost has been covered. No matter how much sim time you have, you are going to crash some when starting out. (Some guys crash quite a bit...) Be sure to budget at least a couple hundred bucks per crash for a 700. (It's $100+ just for a set of mains.)

The other thing to factor in is down time after crashes. If the idea of waiting for parts feels annoying, you also need to budget for a good collection of spares - anything you might break when you crash. (With a 450 or a 700, you are going to be making repairs after every unplanned ground encounter.)

I think it's theoretically possible to start with a 700, but the only way I would ever recommend it is if you're at a club with someone who is willing to show you the ropes and give you lessons on a buddy box.

The completely opposite way to go would be to start with a micro. Something like the k110 is a great flier, and virtually indestructible when flown over grass. You can crash it all day while developing your skills. Once you get more comfortable, you can start flying a 450 in parallel, but still use the micro for practicing new stuff first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in