Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > 3D Printing

3D Printing Discuss 3D printed items and 3D printers as they relate to RC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Heat Set Threaded Inserts

I had a part that I wanted to try a blind hole mounting solution. Makes it much easier to print with no overhanging material, or increased build time due to support material.

I ordered the M3 threaded inserts from McMaster and installation tool: Link

They get installed using a soldering iron with a special installation tip.

With the iron on medium and about 10 sec of heat they easily press in with a little force.

My calibration cubes got printed too hot on accident, so the holes were much smaller than what was suggested on McMaster.

This caused two issues:

- It proved difficult to keep the heat serts centered as it was being installed.

- The extra material will foul the threads. This can be chased by a tap.

I now design a small 3mm hole at the bottom of the tapered bore for the serts. This allows the tap to full pass through the sert should it get fouled, and to act as a reservoir for extra material.

Doing a torque test, I'm incredibly happy with how much torque I can put into an M3 thread. Just holding the parts by hand I could not get the insert to slip. I could however feel the material around the insert deforming. This was at a much higher torque than what I'd use for this type of bolted connection.

Will post later after the parts start seeing some abuse, but so far it looks promising.

I would recommend printing a handful of test parts and get a feel for installing these as they are a little tricky, but with a little practice they are relatively easy to install.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice!

(I always say that if McMaster doesn't stock it, you don't need it)

I have to turn the music down while driving so I can see better.
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in