Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Align 130 BEC

I am putting the Align 130 onto my 700 with KST servos all around. Are any of you running a seperate rx pack, or only using the internal bec? Backup guard type setup?
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I read that the internal BED is good. So I decided to use it but I installed a Optipower ultra guard 430 with LED. I will be flying Sport style
Windmanquebec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm also using the internal BEC with an Ultra Guard for peace of mind.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using the Align 130A on my 700X and the Hobbywing 160A on a couple of my other 700 helis, all using the internal BEC with no backup (other than a capacitor which is recommended on the Vbar).. No problems at all.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe the general recommendation when using a BEC (internal or external) is to run a backup system.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes I realize that, just wondering how many people are running without that given I have seen/heard mixed opinions.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used CC BEC Pro's for years without a backup system and I never ran into any issues. I also used HW V4 and Jeti Mezon ESC's both of which are known for robust internal BEC's without a backup system and I never ran into any issues either. However, I now use a backup unit with all my larger helis mainly because I fell victim to the power of persuasion and I consider a backup unit an economical insurance to help me save my $3000+ helicopters.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't use backups either. The way I figure it, a heli has hundreds of single point failures, any one of which might cause a crash.. We don't usually go to four servo swashes, 'just in case' a servo fails... we don't have backup flybarless controllers, twin motors, spare transmitters or co-pilots etc etc......

The BEC IMHO if good quality and suitably rated is no more likely to fail than many other components, and is probably a whole lot more reliable than the pilot!... So why the perceived need for backup on that one component but no others?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running the hobbywing 130 on a 700l top, using the internal bec and an optiguard backup pack. Now issues so far and around 50 flights.
700N MJ DTS VX1N, Logo 690SX - VX1e, 780L Top - VBar Neo, 700L Top - VX1n, Logo 550SX - VX1n, Goblin 570 (6s) - VX1n, Trex 550E Pro DFC - VX1n, Trex 450L Dominator (6s) - VX1n, Trex 450 Plus DFC - VX1n, JETI, DX9, Pheonix R/C, AccuRC, neXt
99100 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 04:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
I don't use backups either. The way I figure it, a heli has hundreds of single point failures, any one of which might cause a crash.. We don't usually go to four servo swashes, 'just in case' a servo fails... we don't have backup flybarless controllers, twin motors, spare transmitters or co-pilots etc etc......

The BEC IMHO if good quality and suitably rated is no more likely to fail than many other components, and is probably a whole lot more reliable than the pilot!... So why the perceived need for backup on that one component but no others?
I can see your point of view, we don't tend to worry about redundancy on most other parts of the heli but maybe because it isn't practical, cost or?!?

BUT I have had the esc fail and the connectors fail (Possibly my bad soldering... ) either way having the backup has saved me from having 3 700 size crashes, so as personal preference I wont fly anything with out a back battery not even my planes. I also use 2 x battery straps for every pack in case one snaps (Which I have had) and 2 x sats.
700N MJ DTS VX1N, Logo 690SX - VX1e, 780L Top - VBar Neo, 700L Top - VX1n, Logo 550SX - VX1n, Goblin 570 (6s) - VX1n, Trex 550E Pro DFC - VX1n, Trex 450L Dominator (6s) - VX1n, Trex 450 Plus DFC - VX1n, JETI, DX9, Pheonix R/C, AccuRC, neXt
99100 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post

I can tell you why I did get the backup. If my 700X has a mechanical failure of some sort it will crash as you say. The upside of still having control over your servos is that I can try to put it into the dirt if it is comming my way. It's more a "don't chop my head off" insurance than anything else.
They biggest downside of a failing BEC is that you loose complete control over the heli for sure. I had my share of mechanical problems with helis by now (no BEC failure yet) but I allways could influence the way it goes still. Even when out of total control you usually can steer it towards something other than yourself.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do take your point but there are MANY (too many to even list) other failures that would result in total loss of control, which we just accept without a second thought. I also know of a few cases with the Ultra-guard where the backup battery has failed causing a minor fire, which could have caused a crash if it occurred in flight. Inevitably in adding 'extra stuff' you are also adding additional failure points.

End of the day i guess it just comes down to a personal choice but i'd certainly not jump in the camp that say never even think about flying with one of these backups on-board... Unless maybe your soldering and building is so bad that electrical failures are common-place, in which case the better option might be to get someone else to do your soldering!
Old 04-23-2017, 05:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see your point too. Considering I am flying my smaller helis without backup I am not 100 sure what is better either.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Careful when hooking up a buffer pack to an ESC that has a BEC. I fried the BEC on a Hobbywing Platinum V3 100A (6s version thankfully) when I unthinkingly plugged a 2S lipo into the receiver with the ESC still connected to the flight battery. YGE's are designed to use a 2S buffer pack with the built in BEC so I thought nothing of it but this can fry the BEC on Hobbywing ESCs. Reason I did this was I was having trouble getting the throttle calibrated due to the bootup time of the FBL unit.

Turns out 5v is fine but a 7.4v will fry the BEC, it doesn't help that Hobbywing has maintained radio silence on this issue.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2017, 03:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for pointing this out Atomic, I suppose this fits into the bracket i mentioned earlier that by adding extra stuff you add complexity and potential failure points. In this case the backup you add to protect from BEC failure actually causes BEC failure, which is a bit ironic.

It puts a different complexion on the reports you read about people saying that their BEC failed and their backup 'saved the day'. Turns out then that it may very well be that the backup caused the failure in the first place
Old 04-29-2017, 03:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have Scorpion BUG on my big helis.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Internal BEC.
The best wife in the world
S7STEM_HACK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in