Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Protos 700/800

MSH Protos 700/800 MSH Protos 700/800 Helicopter Support Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Michaelinpr
  • 1 Post By MKMAERO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main shaft locking ring

I'm having issues with the lock ring staying put on the main shaft. Seems to slip upward every couple of flights and then requires 2 people to set properly. Any tips on keeping it in place and setting it tight with only one set of hands?
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had this on one of my Protos 700/800ís. And I have had 5 different airframes. Not sure why. Seems to not do it anymore after using red thread lock and really cranking it down.

I did notice that the locking collar in question is a different finish of metal than the others. Shinny silver. Others are more a dark satin finish.
PaoloFCantoni likes this.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was thinking of trying green retaining compound. I thought it might originally have been because I had an old MSH ring and a newer XLP shaft and the tolerances were slightly different, but didn't help.

I need to take it apart and make sure that there's no grease or oil on it either. I don't lube my main shaft, but the thrust bearing is right below and I wonder if it can contaminate the shaft with grease.

I just wish that ring was up top like most other models. Then it would be a lot easer to tighten as well.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Protos 700 is now retired,due to transferring my electronics to a Kraken 700.Anyway,i had the same problem with the locking ring.The silver locking ring will stay in place,but the black locking ring will move after a certain amount of flights.I thought about it one day and decided to sand the inside of the locking ring to roughen it up enough so that it would grab better on to the main shaft and to also take an exacto blade and clean the slit in between the two joints of the locking ring if there is leftover dried locktite from the past that will prevent a tight and secured clamp connection,after doing that it never moved again and it stayed in place.
So my final conclusion was the black paint inside the locking ring and the dried locktite in between the locking ring caused the locking ring to lose it's grip on the main shaft as opposed to the silver locking ring with no paint and had no problem staying in place.I also made sure before reinstalling the locking ring after sanding the inside,i would clean the main shaft thoroughly with alcohol to remove any grease coming up from the bearing block.In addition,if you ever have to remove and or replace the main shaft in the future,just remember to always clean the slit again with an exacto blade to remove any dried up loctite from your previous installation.
MSH Protos 700X- Cyclones-Xnova-Xpert-VBar Neo

Last edited by flipboy; 07-19-2021 at 12:07 PM..
flipboy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would advise some small amount of green.

on first attempt , applying green to full ring might overboard, maybe scar the ring a bit with a few passes of coarse sand paper

then so install the shaft and ring, move the collar in place then apply above the ring the green ( tooth pick can be used to make a band of green onto the shaft ) then move the collar ring up a few mm ( with the idea to only have green to a certain top part of the collar ) , then apply shaft to collar pressure and use blue on the collar screw. use some cloth to remove the green above the collar <= your swash will thank you
let it sit overnight.

on smaller collar rings ( like small oxy's ) , ppl recommend to make a small saw cut in the opposite side of the collar screw but with this size collar I wonder if that makes sense , as with this size collar , the green should have enough contact surface to do its job.
zomaar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
I'm having issues with the lock ring staying put on the main shaft. Seems to slip upward every couple of flights and then requires 2 people to set properly. Any tips on keeping it in place and setting it tight with only one set of hands?
JWeber: How do you know the locking ring has moved? Is the gap that big you can see it, or do you feel some up and down free play in the main shaft?

Mike
Protos Evo 700: Goblin 700C : Oxy 5 Meg: Goblin 570 : Diabolo 600 : Mini Comet : Oxy 2 : Futaba 18SZ : Jeti DS-16 : Jeti DS-24 : Kontronik Kosmik, Jive Pro and Kolibri HV-1: MSH Brain 2 : BK Brushless : Xpert R1 and KD
MKMAERO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKMAERO View Post
JWeber: How do you know the locking ring has moved? Is the gap that big you can see it, or do you feel some up and down free play in the main shaft?

Mike

Up and down play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWeber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
Up and down play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can eliminate your locking ring issue by removing the up and down free play in your main shaft. When there's free play in the shaft and you give hard negative collective in flight, the shaft can move downward and that can force the locking ring to slide upward on the main shaft creating your issue. Loosen the four screws holding the bottom main shaft bearing plate to the frames. Loosen the screw in the locking ring. Turn the heli upside down (helps to have someone else holding the heli at this point) and pull the main shaft towards the ground. Make sure the main gear assembly is snuggly against the bearing above it. Now push the bottom bearing plate against the main gear assembly and tighten the four screws. Turn the heli over and pull/push on the main shaft to ensure there is no up and down free play. Now push the locking ring against the thrust washer and tighten its bolt.

Mike
PaoloFCantoni likes this.
Protos Evo 700: Goblin 700C : Oxy 5 Meg: Goblin 570 : Diabolo 600 : Mini Comet : Oxy 2 : Futaba 18SZ : Jeti DS-16 : Jeti DS-24 : Kontronik Kosmik, Jive Pro and Kolibri HV-1: MSH Brain 2 : BK Brushless : Xpert R1 and KD
MKMAERO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2021, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKMAERO View Post
You can eliminate your locking ring issue by removing the up and down free play in your main shaft. When there's free play in the shaft and you give hard negative collective in flight, the shaft can move downward and that can force the locking ring to slide upward on the main shaft creating your issue. Loosen the four screws holding the bottom main shaft bearing plate to the frames. Loosen the screw in the locking ring. Turn the heli upside down (helps to have someone else holding the heli at this point) and pull the main shaft towards the ground. Make sure the main gear assembly is snuggly against the bearing above it. Now push the bottom bearing plate against the main gear assembly and tighten the four screws. Turn the heli over and pull/push on the main shaft to ensure there is no up and down free play. Now push the locking ring against the thrust washer and tighten its bolt.

Mike
THIS!!!!

Taking that slack out made tightening the lock ring easy. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in