Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you get the governor store working, it is a much better governor than any Castle I have used. But the Castles convenes is unmatched... And I am running the BEC at 7.4 for seven weeks with great results, and for me that is a couple of hundreds flights...

Here is the bench test I did before trying it in flight...

[ame]http://youtu.be/pSvM6im3WhI[/ame]

In this video I turned pitch pump up to over 90° the cyclic was moving so fast it was a blur
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for that post. Very good to see.

Sometimes I overanalyze things, and should really be trying it out and see how it goes. I'm gonna go get started on putting in the new HW right now!
simplechamp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes always do a thorough bench test, more than a few people are reporting no issue running 7.4, so I would only judge it on a case by case basis...
Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Has anyone collected any data as to what the actual current rating is of the BEC on this esc? I see the 50A is 'rated' for 7A continuous which I would think would be plenty for any 450 since I know my 600 (very efficient servos) pulls a peak of 2A in flight and my x7 pulls a peak of about 8A.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried govstore on logo 550sx. There is no difference between 80% and 95% thr.
Rpm is not so high. I got 2500rpm at 100% throttle by calculations. I felt no 2500 rpm at flight.
I did thr callibration, rpm learn I did at 100%
miron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by miron View Post
I tried govstore on logo 550sx. There is no difference between 80% and 95% thr.
Rpm is not so high. I got 2500rpm at 100% throttle by calculations. I felt no 2500 rpm at flight.
I did thr callibration, rpm learn I did at 100%

You did it wrong then, Try redoing the whole thing but do the calibration flight at 50% Then you should get a decent resolution on the throttle input for different head speeds...

Last edited by Trexwilly; 07-20-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Trexwilly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been flying 7.4v with my new Gaui x3 for the past week, no problems with about 40 flights so far. I'm using rjx micro's, they don't even get warm.. my tgy-306-hv's do at 7.4v though.

Great esc!!

One odd thing, to get mine working properly with the scorp 2520-1880kv had to push the timing up to 15 deg. Below that it would stutter at high rpm (3300-3500 gov) and cause tail twitching.

With only 6 packs I run back to back, the esc comes down hot(32khz pwm), the motor much hotter but you can touch it without any issues.

I'm very interested to see their updated HV line esc's and whether they perform just as well, will be building a x4 ii in the near future and will be using a platinum 100A-v3.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried setup govstore rpm lear at 65% thr, but it's no difference. Esc has cutoff thr over around 70%. I can't get rpm that I want. I need bigger pinion. I use 8 khz pwm and 15 deg. with 4025-1100 motor. I run esc with cooler, it comes warm after flight.
miron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I now have a good amount of flight time with the 50A V3 in my 450 Pro DFC.

Running BEC at 6V with stock Align cyclic servos and ServoKing tail servo. Voltage holds well and no brown outs or low voltage warnings in Vbar. I still have a set of Deco HV micro cyclic servos, but going to wait until a crash to throw them in and test out the BEC at 7.4V or do the swap over the winter.

I have been using the Vbar gov and it plays nice with the RPM sensor on the HW ESC. I have the ESC set to airplane mode and let the Vbar control soft start and spoolup. It flies really well for me and RPM is very locked in, but I am a pretty mild flyer. I let my friend test it who can really smack it around and he can get it to bog and tail blow out, but only if he really makes an effort to. But this is more of a Vbar tuning thing, not really anything to do with ESC.

I thought it was kind of weird the manual recommends running at such a high PWM. From what I could gather the high PWM was recommended for optimal performance of the ESCs built-in gov. Since I am using the Vbar gov I went with my usual 12Khz PWM. ESC barely gets warm, even with my buddy really beating on it when it's 90deg out.

This ESC definitely holds it's own against the Castle Edge 50. The Castle has datalogging and a better (or at least easier to use) internal gov. The HW has a better BEC and costs a good deal less. Since I don't care much about datalogging on my 450 and use the Vbar gov the HW is a no-brainer for me. I plan on building a 6S 360mm machine over the winter, and will definitely be putting one of these in it.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ccedge governor definitely isn't better, but if you've had never set up either gov the ccedge would be easier.. until you had setup the hwing v3 at least once. Then it's just going through the motions.

The ccedge lite 50A simply has data logging going for it, it's great if you are testing out new motors/batteries and want to get a sense of voltage drop and overall power usage.

If you are using the vbar gov, I would probably just stick with ccedge just for logging.. as the strength of the hwing is the low cost with great governor.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like I said, not as concerned with built-in logging on my 450. I have an EagleTree I use for testing/troubleshooting on the 450 when needed. Now for my 600 I do like to have built-in logging.

I'm pretty sold on FBL gov over ESC gov, so I'm not very concerned with the internal gov of either ESC. The main selling points I'm looking for in a 450 ESC is built-in RPM output, and good adjustable BEC. The HW ticks these boxes, and does it for less money.

I may try the HW internal gov when I build my 360mm bird just to try it out and see for myself.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pionwave View Post
I have been flying 7.4v with my new Gaui x3 for the past week, no problems with about 40 flights so far. I'm using rjx micro's, they don't even get warm.. my tgy-306-hv's do at 7.4v though.

Great esc!!

One odd thing, to get mine working properly with the scorp 2520-1880kv had to push the timing up to 15 deg. Below that it would stutter at high rpm (3300-3500 gov) and cause tail twitching.

With only 6 packs I run back to back, the esc comes down hot(32khz pwm), the motor much hotter but you can touch it without any issues.

I'm very interested to see their updated HV line esc's and whether they perform just as well, will be building a x4 ii in the near future and will be using a platinum 100A-v3.

I ordered my hobbywing 50v3 to use with a 2520 1360 in my warp...is the 1880 a close comparison to the 1360?...I hoping they work well together but we will see? ?

Kevin
kev0712 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev0712 View Post
I ordered my hobbywing 50v3 to use with a 2520 1360 in my warp...is the 1880 a close comparison to the 1360?...I hoping they work well together but we will see? ?

Kevin
Looking at the specs, the only major difference is the lower power & lower kv, shouldn't be a problem

IIRC there are others using the 1360 with the v3-50A no issues.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great! ! I know it may be a toss up but I really like the hobbywing...it's awesome looking...a great price, and a kick butt built in bec...I have ayge 60 that I know will work but I bought the warp used off if here and it had an align 45x from the 450l kit...it worked ok for a few flights then I tipped it over on landing and trashed the blades...nothing else was hurt..

I changed the servos out and changed from a beast, to an ikon and started bench testing, and it would stutter really bad above 50% throttle...do I unplugged and replugged the battery and it sparked like crazy and melted my deans on the esc and the battery...the battery is fine and the motor seems to be ok on a multi meter(all tests that I know of) so I'm thinking the esc either hot damage with over spiking on the tip over, or its just not a good fit with the specs of the scorpion motor...

I really hope it works together because I really like the esc...it should be here by the end of the week...
kev0712 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexwilly View Post
You did it wrong then, Try redoing the whole thing but do the calibration flight at 50% Then you should get a decent resolution on the throttle input for different head speeds...
there's not a lot of room for error on setting this up. do you know why is it only working intermittently?
bsr100 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 01:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr100 View Post
there's not a lot of room for error on setting this up. do you know why is it only working intermittently?
Probably need to clarify what you mean by "working intermittently". Is it the governor mode that seems to be inconsistent or does the ESC sometimes not run the motor at all?

If you could describe exactly what it is doing, we will probably be able to help solve what it is doing wrong.

Highspeed
Highspeed1964 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe the OP should fix the first post instead of giving wrong information ...or test more before posting a "how to" post ...

Also in my opinion you can't really test BEC load on the bench, there could be a very big difference in Amp draw from servos under load ...IMO
Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default How To: Hobbywing Platinum v3 Gov Store setup and a warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliecoeur13 View Post
Maybe the OP should fix the first post instead of giving wrong information ...or test more before posting a "how to" post ...

Also in my opinion you can't really test BEC load on the bench, there could be a very big difference in Amp draw from servos under load ...IMO

I have tested and setup many of these, Exactly what needs to be corrected?

Also, while your statement is correct, if you test BEC on the bench and it fails it will certainly fail in the air. You are correct in saying it could be fine on the bench and fail in the air. People have been using this testing method for a long time with vbars, often increasing pitch boost to simulate load. It's better than not testing at all. Or do like i have done and get a vbar control so you can have a friend monitor bec load during flight.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine lost it's settings yesterday?

So here is a strange one, once I finally got it all recalibrate the TC were all very different, and the TH setting position had changed too... to get the Auto rotate bailout to work...

Hmm that's got me thinking, if the ESC learns a new throttle range because it sees power up the first time as 10%?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertico View Post
I have tested and setup many of these, Exactly what needs to be corrected?

Also, while your statement is correct, if you test BEC on the bench and it fails it will certainly fail in the air. You are correct in saying it could be fine on the bench and fail in the air. People have been using this testing method for a long time with vbars, often increasing pitch boost to simulate load. It's better than not testing at all. Or do like i have done and get a vbar control so you can have a friend monitor bec load during flight.
well for the Gov store you state doing it with 100% TH sort of the "YGE method" but the manual clearly states using 50% TH 0 pitch . ? maybe it does not matter ...

I guess I'll try it for myself and see what works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in