Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Fuselage Forum

Fuselage Forum Fuselage Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 700 size MD500 tail linkage rod help

Hello,

I just set my 700E in a 700 size MD500 fuselage. However I am a bit stumped on the feed to control the tail blades. If you fly a 700 you know they are a large dia. carbon fiber rod for control. But in all videos I have seen most are using a Z wire rod that is suited to the fuselage's slit in the back for it to slip out of. I was told by some to use a golden rod but there just really isn't for that either. If some one can share what linkage is being used I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the support, John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0180.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	690020   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0161.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	690021  

T-REX 700E V2, T-TEX 600e,T-REX 500 ESP, T-Rex 450 Pro, Radian Glider, P-47 Thunderbolt Plank
JPEE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default 700 size MD500 tail linkage rod help

Hello,

I just set my 700E in a 700 size MD500 fuselage. However, I am a bit stumped on the feed to control the tail blades. If you fly a 700 you know they use a large dia. carbon fiber rod for control. But in all scale videos I have seen most are using a Z wire rod that is suited to the fuselage's slit in the back for it to slip out of. I was told by some to use a golden rod but there just really isn't room for that either. If some one can share what linkage is being used I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the support, John

T-REX 700E V2, T-TEX 600e,T-REX 500 ESP, T-Rex 450 Pro, Radian Glider, P-47 Thunderbolt Plank
Old 01-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

When you buy booms as spares, they come with a thin rod, two link ends (normally, I think), two booms, and two rod guides. Since you have very little room, use about two inches of the inner liner of a golden rod (beg, borrow, or buy, your choice), cut that into a few pieces, and then shape the rod so it meets the first piece of golden rod about 8 to 10 inches down the boom towards the tail. Space the others and then near the end, leave about 6 inches free to be shaped to meet the tail rotor pitch control and it should fit right out the gap. I have done this with a few builds now and I am getting really good at inverting the ball on the control lever. Take a look at my recent post about the Jet Ranger resurrection and you will see a picture of the tail rotor housing and how close that rod is to the boom. I machined the material off the housing by hand using a Dremel, files, and a sanding block. That's the third one I have done and it keeps the linkage tight enough that you never see it. I can't remember where I first saw it but it is a method that most have difficulty doing as you are grinding material off of something you just paid more than a grand for, lol. take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

I moved the post with the pictures here as it was duplicated. You only need to post a question in the thread that matches your needs the best. If it doesn't fit, a moderator might move it, or you can ask to have it moved by the HF Support staff. I hope I answered your post and there may be more suggestions that follow. Take care and good luck with your build.

Don
Old 01-20-2017, 01:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like Don said, using a golden rod or something similar. I used a crashed 250 torque tube, the wire fits perfectly. If you are not going to flip the tail then just put the ball on top of the lever.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Don and cobieg,

Thank you for your advice!
We did go see your suggested Jet Ranger snap shot's and they were helpful. We had the Golden Rods on hand but even those were tight when tried on the boom. Then until we read your suggestions of using small pieces of the inner liner with a wire shaft that seemed like a workable plan. I ordered two sets of booms with the included tail servos long rods included which arrive this Wednesday. We are building two of these MD500's my buddy and I so you've bailed two RC Brothers.
Thank you very much and when complete, we'll post some pic's for sure.
Regards, John

Old 01-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEE View Post
Hello Don and cobieg,

Thank you for your advice!
We did go see your suggested Jet Ranger snap shot's and they were helpful. We had the Golden Rods on hand but even those were tight when tried on the boom. Then until we read your suggestions of using small pieces of the inner liner with a wire shaft that seemed like a workable plan. I ordered two sets of booms with the included tail servos long rods included which arrive this Wednesday. We are building two of these MD500's my buddy and I so you've bailed two RC Brothers.
Thank you very much and when complete, we'll post some pic's for sure.
Regards, John

That's great, twins lol. My 600 size "C" model is flying very good. Love the flying eggs!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

No problem. I maidened the Jet Ranger and CH-139 chassis today and both worked flawlessly. The little trick of the pushrod and tubes is a very, very handy one and I'm glad I saw that first ball flipped. The hard part is grinding off that housing material for the ball to clear it, lol. Enjoy your builds.

Don
Old 01-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used the HN7047 - 700 Boom set shown here:

https://www.helidirect.com/helicopte...nitro-pro.html

For the guide(s) that are closer to the tail I shortened them by cutting them in half, overlapping the plastic, then drilling for a 1.5mm bolt and nut. A little CA for good measure and you have a nice compact tail control system. I just slid the guide along until the alignment of the rod was nice and straight. i.e. the guide wasn't bending the control rod at some point along the it's length.

I also did the inverted linkage ball trick on the tail pitch link.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Trooper7,

This will make you chuckle, I ordered the two booms as suggested by others to get that wire tail servo rod. I was going to cut most of that block out between like you suggested and epoxy them together doing just what you show in a sense. I went so far as to order extras for these experiments. I have managed without any modding to get two on the boom in full size and get 60% towards the tail and squeeze in the copter. However I had to bring the wire rod out the provided slot in the fiberglass boom from Aerodyne. I worked fine on the bench manually as well as when I I powered it up and wagged the tail the gyro gain performed too. That is as far as I got as I was called off the project for a few days. I'll take your suggestion and make those clips up today and re run the rod inside the fuselage for a better look.
Thanks you so much for your suggestion!

BTW: thanks also for the blow up photo, that says it all.
John

Old 02-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

...happy to say that JPee did a great job on setting-up his tail rotor control rod, and here's the first flight with his beautiful helicopter...

John's Hughes 500 (1 min 58 sec)
ChopperBopper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMG 8127 (1 min 55 sec)

Name:	IMG_8131.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	694365

Name:	IMG_8133.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	694366

Name:	IMG_8132.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	694368

Trooper7,Keyrigger, cobieg,

Thank you for your support. I wanted to post this project as complete and with a few pic's that might help others.

NOTE: in the video I say I am going to fly with one 6S like my brother is. However, While did get in the air I was lacking power. We determined that I have a 700 motor and he ghas the 750 Super Align motor with a higher kv, so I went back to two 6S packs. Should I up my motor size they fly like very nice with the one 6S.
JPEE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8149.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	694369  

Last edited by JPEE; 02-14-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in