Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Whiplash

MA Whiplash Miniature Aircraft Whiplash Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

The -17 gears are pretty simple to make with a lathe and mill. Enclosed are pictures of the process I used. I CA glued a 3/8" aluminum shaft to a bored out blank. I then drilled a 6mm hole in the gear / shaft assembly. Next I counterbored, drilled and tapped the gear / collar. I installed the set screws, put the assembly back in the lathe and cut it to the proper length. I then used a high tech bandsaw to cut the gear loose. Back to the lathe to clean up the cut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000613.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	499988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000614.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	499989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000615.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	499990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000616.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	499991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000617.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	499992  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000619.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	499993  
Arrow2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks pretty good to me...

How long to make one do you think?
---- JR Vibe SGE12 Hiroki Ito Scorpion Tribunus 200A 4525 Ultimate Spirit FBL—-Minicopter Diabolo Pyro750-56 Kosmik200 Vbar v5.3 ----- T Rex 700N DFC OS105HZR Spirit FBL --- RJX Vector 700 Pyro750-56 Comp Kosmik 200 ——
malc1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

It took about an hour to make 5 good ones and 1 goof. If you want 1 or 2, let me know.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the offer but luckily I'm OK at the moment for these gears (have 4 131-17 and 2 black 131-17B)

I pretty sure there must be guys out there totally stuck though.

Just for information,what you going to sell them for?
---- JR Vibe SGE12 Hiroki Ito Scorpion Tribunus 200A 4525 Ultimate Spirit FBL—-Minicopter Diabolo Pyro750-56 Kosmik200 Vbar v5.3 ----- T Rex 700N DFC OS105HZR Spirit FBL --- RJX Vector 700 Pyro750-56 Comp Kosmik 200 ——
Old 04-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would like to recover the cost of materials, so I was thinking $5.00 plus shipping. This is a hobby for me, not a business. Also, I can't mass produce these, but would be willing to help those in a jam.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Excellent!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re : Whiplash Aftermarket support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow2 View Post
I would like to recover the cost of materials, so I was thinking $5.00 plus shipping. This is a hobby for me, not a business. Also, I can't mass produce these, but would be willing to help those in a jam.
Hi,
Is it possible to buy 5 of the 131-17 ?
And the 131-18 could you have them?
Regards,
Joël, from France

Envoyé de mon SM-N9005 en utilisant Tapatalk
raptor90se is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Whoa. I received some pm's for parts as well as your request. I have already sold 4, so at the moment I have 1 left. I will make some more this weekend. Why do need (want) 5? I don't want to turn this into work, As far as -18's go, I don't have the right size endmill at the moment for a proper fit.

Mike
Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Arrow , thats cool that you can make the gear . 5 gears really? He did say he is not looking to turn it into a job and just to help somebody in a bind. Hopefully Ron lund can get some gears made, that way he can make some money off the prepers.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow Arrow2 - impressive stuff, nice work!

I got really lucky and managed to get a 17 and 18 in the UK from Motors and Rotors but that's all he had. I got a few flights today and on the 3rd flight the tail let go and it started pirouetting. Luckily I wasn't doing anything wild and just flying around and had plenty of time to hit throttle hold and land safely. Having had a quick google, it looks like mine has the old style pitch slider and and threaded brass piece had split at the threaded section. I'm sure I should be able to find the later parts to fix but Dave at Motors and Rotors told me to bring it in and if he doesn't have the parts we might be able to machine something up. I bought the machine used (but hardly flown at all) so I guess the original owner just missed the upgrade notice on the slider.
Andrew Bird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:15 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check that forum one more time Gents.... Plenty of Parts to keep 'em flying...
Doctorfixjet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi

do we have a solution to make compatible main gears 131-1 ? Or know of a shop that still have a couple of them.

the counter bearing of my elec whiplash broke and the pinion partially stripped the main gear. I will use my last main gear I bought as spare parts, and will be short on them next crash ...

steph, from France
steph66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi steph
I can check with my LHS if they have them If you like.
I just ordered new tailgears, and som shafts, boom etc. from them, so it seems they have a lot of whiplash parts in stock.

/Christoffer
Old 05-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

thx christoffer, I found a couple on the web.

Just wondered if we have a solution for when there will be no main gears anymore. Can we find a compatible spare part ?
steph66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Replacement Parts

Has anyone looked at 3D scanners and printers as I think we will see some huge changes, making these very accessible to the home user
gregmorris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its a good idea to make good dxf-scans of the parts, like frames and such..
But gears, i think its to possible to get the local machine-shop cut gears for us, but quite expensive, maye some other manufacturer has similar gears and other parts we can modify for the whiplash.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

The main gear was a special gear MA made. A local shop could copy them, but it would be expensive in low quantities. The main gear materiel is very critical, it must be strong and have some lubrication properties.

TRM Power
CAUTION - my posts are based on my experiences, yours may be different.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 03:47 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Tom,

For the maingears I suggest Delrin (Polyoxymethylen). The Whiplash maingear seems to be made of it too.

As for the frames, the left frame would do. Can be used to replace the right frame, so there would be only one design to cut. I started out to model it in a CAD. Will still take time to finish, I am quite busy at work and it is (finaly) flying-season too:-)

If the left frame is to be used as right frame too, it has to be more stable. I think of changing is a bit to give it more strength. For example, The front-mounting for the landing gears seems vulnerable. Especially with the hole for the switch right above.

Where does the left frame usually break? What are the weak spots? Any experiences?

Kind regards
George
OldGasser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail drive gear ma131-15.

I see the blade 700x runs a 27t tail drive gear. Does anyone know weather they would fit the whiplash?

Here is a link http://www.rcplanet.com/Blade_Tail_P..._p/blh5738.htm

They look similar.
Chicko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Chicko,

From the 700x manual I conclude that the gear has only a 5mm bore while the Whiplash has 6mm. Also the gear is secured by a pin, while the Whippy uses two setscrews.

IMO, the gear A 1Z 2MYZ1002706 from sdp-si.com is the easiest way to go. I ordered one to check and it is almost identical. It has a brass insert which is prefferable to acetal only for setscrews. You will only have to tap a hole for a second setscrew. Stock it only comes with one, which I would not want to rely on. Maybe grind off a little from the hub. That's it.

Kind regards
George
OldGasser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in