Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Does the Soko Tool and Ikon V2 not like each other?????

So I recently acquired a Soko kit. I've heard great things about so I wanted to give it a shot. I bought the app for my phone so I do not have to shim up my bird. So after going through all the settings, double and triple checking the numbers the soko gauge is giving me before I put them in my phone. I come to the servo centering and pitch menu on my Ikon. Go through and center my servos and get zero pitch and mid. Move onto my pitch, I read what the app is telling me my positive and negative pitch need to be based on how the heli is sitting. I'm only trying to archive a 12 degree pitch. Because I'm trying to set up my 500X and 550X the helis have a rake in them. So my app tells me I need to be at 16.1 positive and 7 negative pitch( not exact numbers) i go to adjust my pitch in the software and my number always ends up in the red. And trust me I have go through the set up time after time just to make sure I'm putting in all my numbers EXACTLY how the soko gauge reads them. This happened last night while I was setting up my freshly built 500X. My swash is in the center of the shaft, my linkages and exactly the length the manual calls for. This was also the case on my 550X. Does anyone have any experience, is there something I'm missing??? Please help, this is frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moonshinechief is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Red values in the Brain UI indicate that you are out of bounds mechanically for what values you are trying to achieve. In other words, you servo balls are either too far in on the servo horn which reduces servo travel and speed and requires you to use values that are too high, or too far out which increases servo travel and speed and causes you to you be using values that are too low.

Any proper heli setup is a balance between having proper mechanical gain (servo ball position) and electronic gain in the gyro, so there is a proper mechnical range the Brain is looking for, hence the warning that something is not ideal mechanically for the values you are asking of it.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Red values in the Brain UI indicate that you are out of bounds mechanically for what values you are trying to achieve. In other words, you servo balls are either too far in on the servo horn which reduces servo travel and speed and requires you to use values that are too high, or too far out which increases servo travel and speed and causes you to you be using values that are too low.

Any proper heli setup is a balance between having proper mechanical gain (servo ball position) and electronic gain in the gyro, so there is a proper mechnical range the Brain is looking for, hence the warning that something is not ideal mechanically for the values you are asking of it.

Great info. My value is too low. In order to archive the correct pitch( according the the Soko) my pitch value is at 23. The number turned red at 24. My servo balls are mounted in the furthest outer hole. So I cannot go any further.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshinechief View Post
Great info. My value is too low. In order to archive the correct pitch( according the the Soko) my pitch value is at 23. The number turned red at 24. My servo balls are mounted in the furthest outer hole. So I cannot go any further.
Try longer servo arms.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will have to raise or lower the lower all three swash linkagesthe same amount to allow for proper travel at the blades. Once you do that
you then adjust the upper links to achieve zero pitch. Now you should be able to get the pos/neg values into line in the software.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Buggy View Post
You will have to raise or lower the lower all three swash linkagesthe same amount to allow for proper travel at the blades. Once you do that
you then adjust the upper links to achieve zero pitch. Now you should be able to get the pos/neg values into line in the software.

Just tried this and it got a little closer. Seems like I need to lower the swash even more. But in doing that I feel my swash is no longer in the middle of my main shaft.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

New aligns are not perfect. I have got 470LM and I had to give it longer servo arms than manual suggested to avoid binding and get a perfect head setup.

Also being few points in the red on brain/ikon is not the end of the world. I have had it like that on some other helis and they did fine.
windcatcher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

If you are talking collective, you might try shorter servo arms to get the value higher. But shorter servo arms will raise both cyclic and collective numbers in brain. Meaning it takes more servo throw to get the same cyclic and collective pitch on the head.

Just curious what is the cyclic number when collective number is 23%?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Too low indicates too much throw meaning you are too far out on the servo horn. Move in one hole which will shorten the servo throw and require higher numbers for the same pitch result.

Last edited by Xrayted; 04-26-2017 at 08:43 PM..
Xrayted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
Just tried this and it got a little closer. Seems like I need to lower the swash even more. But in doing that I feel my swash is no longer in the middle of my main shaft.

It's a fallacy to expect the swash to be in the centre of the main shaft. You just need the geometry to work correctly, with no binding.

If the swash ends up in the centre, that's just a coincidence. Obviously, it should be reasonably close, but not exact.

HTH,
Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)

Last edited by PaoloFCantoni; 04-28-2017 at 01:36 AM..
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well went to maiden it and a servo was bad. I'm at a standstill waiting for parts to show up.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
Well went to maiden it and a servo was bad. I'm at a standstill waiting for parts to show up.

Know the feeling! Hopefully mine turn up today!

Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in