Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gas Powered Thoughts

Gas Powered Thoughts Advice for Gas Helicopter Success from Carey Shurley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I've added some information about the latest upgrades available as well as some optional parts HERE

carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

looks like this will get updated later this year

there will be a few changes to the model including changing the OWB setup to a more traditional layout.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hopefully the cost will be kept down. Seems like there would be several parts to change if the owb is moved to the main gear.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
Hopefully the cost will be kept down. Seems like there would be several parts to change if the owb is moved to the main gear.
Bushing for the bell/pinion and a new maingear/hub/owb assembly?

Maybe im overlooking something, but it doesn't seem too much of a task as far as the layout is concerned.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

The tail is driven by the main gear so there needs to be a change to the tail drive?
Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have not seen Josefs new design yet, however I did see a design that solved the problem
  • new clutch bell (no sprag) - threaded for pinion gear
  • new pinion gear - threaded, half height - aligns with main gear but clearance for tail drive gear
  • new main tail drive gear, mounts main drive hub and engages existing rear t/r gear
  • new main drive hub - sprag bearing, mount for existing main gear and new t/r main drive gear
  • new side frames - requires different cutouts

at that point its pretty traditional in design

Old 01-08-2016, 04:19 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the design does go down that road and needs new side frames we're looking at $300 minimum for the change. Checking out some of the whiplash parts prices and I can see it being even more.

The sprag that is listed on the site now, is that the same part as the original or a newer version?

I really like my whiplash gasser but I don't know how much more I can afford to put into it.

I think I'll get the better sprag and if that's fails after awhile just lock it all up as some others have done.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah new side frames is where I draw the line in regards to changing to the new design. I suppose a bad enough crash could push me over the hump, but I'm not wishing for that. Any chance of them offering an price incentive for existing owner to switch to the new setup? Didn't they do something similar with the 422m sprag?

I've got the 422m sprag in mine now and its not been an issue. However I've heard were operating that bearing outside of its intended range, so I guess time will tell.

Either way I'm thrilled MA is alive and well!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont see any way around new frames. You have to add a separate autorotation gear to drive the tail, and move the location of the straight gear in the rear transmission to engage the new autorotation gear.

Even if its a few hundred $ I think for a permanent fix it will be worth it.

Raja and I are both using the 422m. It works, but it doesn't last. My first one went 54 flights before it failed. Raja got 100 flights on the first and his second is going around 120. When it fails, that failure can be catastrophic and shred the entire geartrain if you dont catch it ... it will just slip continuously for 5 or 10 sec and then lock up hard without warning.These bearings cost almost $100 each from GMN, Josef negotiated a $35 price but no idea how long that will last.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
move the location of the straight gear in the rear transmission to engage the new autorotation gear
I'm not sure what the production design will look like, but on the older design I saw they did just the opposite: they moved the main gear down and put the t/r drive gear on the top. That way the t/r transmission wasn't touched. The pinion gear had teeth on the bottom near the bell but the upper portion was just a blank shaft so as to not engage the new t/r drive gear.

it does however require the frame to change around the now thicker drive gear section. I don't remember if there's enough material there for it to be potential user modified for clearance using a template.

we'll see how they actually do it.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any V2 build thread?
PeterW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Now I am no comparison to Carey shurley here. He is amazing at build threads...
But check out the MA Gas forum. I posted the photographs of the new V2 parts, when I started the build.

Also, in flight logs on Gas Helicopter forums thread, you will see it in flight.

I will be posting more videos of it flying.
Goblin Gasser TRM VX310TT Align MJ Design DTS 700N 91 HZ-R 3D Blackout Extreme Gasser #4 MCPX BL 2 iX12

Gaba
Rahulgaba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in