Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Low Head Speed Helicopters

Low Head Speed Helicopters Low Head Speed Helicopter Setups and Flying info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default OHB 2016 low headspeed flights.

So i was at OHB this year, and i noticed something. There were obviously many pilots with great skill throwing down some furious and fast 3D flight with headspeeds id guess from 1800-2100. Ive noticed this is normal/common for smacking a 700 around. But.... Also at the event i witnessed some beautiful low headspeed work, the most memorable being the HD750 heli being tossed around at 850rpm. It was amazing to see that big bird with its huge tail boom and all around "big" presence in the air gently and precisely moving around the sky with seemingly no effort at all. The sound was awesome as well. I happen to have some video of it and when i have time this weekend ill post some up. It has sparked renewed interest in my 800 trex lhs project and what you can get if you truly take the time to set up the heli for lhs and do more than put a single 6-8s pack in.
It was funny as the first day i was there an HD heli rep i was talking to asked me if i wanted to see his build fly, and after looking it over and chatting with him about how much power the drivetrain could handle and noting it had a Pyro 800 and a Kontronik 200 on it, i said sure. Expecting smack 3d, but...
He walks over to the bench, grabs a single 7s pack and the heli and walks to the flightline.. i was stunned. I figured itd be a turd, but boy was i wrong. It was epic.
Tim
TimBaconHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Tim - I guess that guy was me - for that type flying motor and ESC are overkill the smaller Pyro700 and Jive 120 would have doe it to (even on 6s setup). The fun thing is - you can push the machine very hard on 14s or you just go gentle and smooth even on 6 or 7s setup
Old 12-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thats awesome, im that case thanks for the flight again! It made an impression on me, a good one and i think it solidified my next build, an HD 750. Ive been looking for something different to build and have a trex 800 i use for LHS flights but have never been totally happy with it, clearly the HD750 flies awesome at very low headspeeds.
I also love the bigger tail boom for visibility and the mechanics and look of the heli in general. I have a smaller space i fly at during the summer less than 500' from my house and its great, but a 700 sized heli at 2000rpm gets out of hand quickly because it covers ground very quickly. Thats what spurred my initial LHS build, then i got hooked on the smoothness and the sound.
That being said the ability to go 14s and have a monster waiting to be unleashed at will seals the deal.
Thanks again,
Tim
Old 12-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBaconHeli View Post
Thats awesome, im that case thanks for the flight again! It made an impression on me, a good one and i think it solidified my next build, an HD 750. Ive been looking for something different to build and have a trex 800 i use for LHS flights but have never been totally happy with it, clearly the HD750 flies awesome at very low headspeeds.
I also love the bigger tail boom for visibility and the mechanics and look of the heli in general. I have a smaller space i fly at during the summer less than 500' from my house and its great, but a 700 sized heli at 2000rpm gets out of hand quickly because it covers ground very quickly. Thats what spurred my initial LHS build, then i got hooked on the smoothness and the sound.
That being said the ability to go 14s and have a monster waiting to be unleashed at will seals the deal.
Thanks again,
Tim
Setup any common 700/800 bird as 12s or 14s 3D smacker for 1700-2000rpm. Then plug in one 6s or 7s battery. It instantly becomes a LHS bird with twice the flight time. Nothing else needs to change. Of course, 115mm tail blades or upgrade to tri-blade tail will give you even more tail authority.

For me who enjoys LHS and long flight time, I still plug in two 6s batteries, but make them parallel, 20-30minute flight time guaranteed.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

How is it vs G7xx, Diablo 700, Align 700x, Mostro?
RFCXPerT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have been flying quite a few machines at low rpm. Some ca handle a range better than others.
Still - if spending a bit time on your setup you can use most helis at low rpm. Make sure tail gear ratio is minimum 2.6 or higher. In that case you have a good chance bringing rpm down without major issues.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh i understand totally about how to get low headspeeds out of a heli, and also about changing tail gearing and the like to increase authority and tuning required, i spent alot of time with my trex 800, and although its not terrible it is still underwhelming. What impressed about the HD 750 is how well/cleanly it flew at such a low headspeed whilst being setup to run 14s as well. I would never attempt the manuvers i witnessed at ohb at 800ish rpms on my trex 800, unless i wanted to rekit. :/.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCXPerT View Post
How is it vs G7xx, Diablo 700, Align 700x, Mostro?
I have the Triabolo 700, which is the same airframe as the Diabolo with the three blade head and it does very well at low headspeeds. You can get two different tail pulleys so you can get good tail authority for lower headspeeds or run less tailrotor ratio if you only do high headspeeds.

I have a two blade tail with NHP 110s and it has been rock solid from day one. I fly between 1000 and 1300 and have it geared to run those headspeeds on 12s.

The original TDR is also well known as a very capable LHS machine and it's super light as well.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Oh i understand totally about how to get low headspeeds out of a heli, and also about changing tail gearing and the like to increase authority and tuning required, i spent alot of time with my trex 800, and although its not terrible it is still underwhelming. What impressed about the HD 750 is how well/cleanly it flew at such a low headspeed whilst being setup to run 14s as well. I would never attempt the manuvers i witnessed at ohb at 800ish rpms on my trex 800, unless i wanted to rekit. :/.
I agree - that by itself is really cool about the 750 itself. only switching gain and rpm settings as well as batteries allowed me to run between 800 and 2450 on one and the same machine. That by itself made the 750 to be something special for me.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So i was at OHB this year, and i noticed something. There were obviously many pilots with great skill throwing down some furious and fast 3D flight with headspeeds id guess from 1800-2100. Ive noticed this is normal/common for smacking a 700 around. But.... Also at the event i witnessed some beautiful low headspeed work, the most memorable being the HD750 heli being tossed around at 850rpm. It was amazing to see that big bird with its huge tail boom and all around "big" presence in the air gently and precisely moving around the sky with seemingly no effort at all. The sound was awesome as well. I happen to have some video of it and when i have time this weekend ill post some up. It has sparked renewed interest in my 800 trex lhs project and what you can get if you truly take the time to set up the heli for lhs and do more than put a single 6-8s pack in.
It was funny as the first day i was there an HD heli rep i was talking to asked me if i wanted to see his build fly, and after looking it over and chatting with him about how much power the drivetrain could handle and noting it had a Pyro 800 and a Kontronik 200 on it, i said sure. Expecting smack 3d, but...
He walks over to the bench, grabs a single 7s pack and the heli and walks to the flightline.. i was stunned. I figured itd be a turd, but boy was i wrong. It was epic.
Tim
Absolutely.

When I was able to, I made a point of going over and watching these flights. So smooth and graceful.
TORCHS member, AMA 64878, Citizen 690
Mattinfla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in