Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ArchmageAU

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum DX8 gen1 Throttle Hold Timer not working

I have a Spektrum DX8 Gen 1. I don't have telemetry so I use a timer for my flights. Supposedly the DX8 has a timer setting to start when the throttle hold is turned off and stop timing when the TH is turned back on. This would definitely be my preferred method. However, I could never get it to work. Here are some pictures of the setup that I thought were relevant.

"hold" is inhibited here, but of course TH works fine when flying. I use it just like everyone else does.

This is probably what truly activates TH and makes it work.

The setting for the timer: 3:00 minute count down with "Hold".

Proof that it is counting even with Throttle "Hold" on.

Does anyone else use TH to activate the timer? and if so, how do you have it set up. What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	711419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2045.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	711420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2046.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	711421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2047.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	711422  
Blade CX2 stock, & DX8, +some quads + small fixed wings
Guapo131 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's your throttle curve in the H setting?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

0 all across
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are telling the timer to start when TH is on, change start to throttle and it should work.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm..Okay. This has happened to me but I can't remember what I did and I don't have my Tx in front of me.

Next is check your Throttle Cut setting. What is it?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
You are telling the timer to start when TH is on, change start to throttle and it should work.
I think you got it.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
The timer starts and runs no matter what position the TH switch is in.

Since the "Hold" method for timer does not work for me, I am currently using the "Throttle" method for the timer. Also, Keep in mind, this is not actually "throttle", but instead it's stick position of the left stick (and again, TH switch position has no affect on timer counting). For a while, I set it to 10%. However, this caused me a problem recently. I was flying and apparently I spent too much time below 10% left stick (too much fun while stick banging) and my 4 minute timer was closer to 5 minutes of actual air time. Granted, I can adjust that % level lower to ~5or 1%... (and I have done that now) but I would much rather prefer to simply use the TH switch to start and stop the timer:
- Timer running when TH off
- Timer not running when TH on.
which is the reason why I have created this thread, because I am not able to make this happen.

I assume I am missing something because this seems like such a simple, obvious, and common use-case for the timer. I can't be the only person in history who wants a timer linked to the TH switch like this.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

When I had a DX8 I set the timer to be based on throttle > 25%.

This way the timer only counts down when the model is told to consume power. Therefore will stop whenever hold is engaged.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo131 View Post
The timer starts and runs no matter what position the TH switch is in.
Update on this. Upon further research, pctomlin is partially correct. Starting with TH off, the timer does not run. Flip TH on, the timer starts to count, then TH switch position has no effect on timer status. It's more like a "first time TH switch goes to the TH-On position" - that's when the timer starts, and there's no stopping it. (reset with clear button as usual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howaboutme View Post
Next is check your Throttle Cut setting. What is it?
Throttle cut setting was set to inhibit
I activated Throttle Cut to 0% and "hold", it works the same as when it was inhibited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
When I had a DX8 I set the timer to be based on throttle > 25%.

This way the timer only counts down when the model is told to consume power. Therefore will stop whenever hold is engaged.
Of course, in theory, that would work great. That would be what i'm looking for.

HOWEVER, Again recall the "throttle" method in the Timer option is not actually linked to the real "throttle" percentage output on channel1. Instead, it's linked to the position of the left stick. And thus, if you are close to full negative collective when flying, then the timer stops counting, making a 4 minute flight into a >4minute flight. If you stick bang a lot (ex: full negative punch outs), the discrepancy can be a problem. Also, the TH switch has no effect.

Also to clarify, my throttle curves are:
N: 40 40 40 40 40
1: 60 60 60 60 60
2: 95 95 95 95 95
H: 0 0 0 0 0
Running Brain1's and Brain2's
Old 06-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't see a way to get exactly what you're looking for.

Another idea... If you choose "Throttle 1-Time" instead of "Throttle", then the timer will start the first time you raise the throttle stick above the set percentage, but then it won't stop until you press the Clear button.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, just looked at my DX8. I have mine at

Start: Throttle Out
Pos: 25%

I think that's what ArchmageAU was saying..
Old 06-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Selecting Hold in the timer settings chooses the Mix/Hold switch to activate the timer (switch on top right of transmitter) not actual throttle hold in f mode.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:

Of course, in theory, that would work great. That would be what i'm looking for.

HOWEVER, Again recall the "throttle" method in the Timer option is not actually linked to the real "throttle" percentage output on channel1. Instead, it's linked to the position of the left stick. And thus, if you are close to full negative collective when flying, then the timer stops counting, making a 4 minute flight into a >4minute flight. If you stick bang a lot (ex: full negative punch outs), the discrepancy can be a problem. Also, the TH switch has no effect.

Also to clarify, my throttle curves are:
N: 40 40 40 40 40
1: 60 60 60 60 60
2: 95 95 95 95 95
H: 0 0 0 0 0
Running Brain1's and Brain2's
I think you will find there are 2 THR based timer options:
- Throttle (Throttle stick based)
- Throttle Out (Throttle channel based)

If you use the Throttle Out (channel based one), it works perfectly with Hold and Cut. (I used it for quite a while).

Throttle out has been available since AirWare V1.01 of the DX8 software. (Which is why it is not listed in the official DX8 Gen 1 manual).

My DX8 was using AirWare V2.06 (released 24 Sep 2012) when I sold it after using it for over a year.

Quote:
Version 1.01
Software Upgrades
• "Throttle Out" timer activation – In the timer screen, Throttle Out has been added to the timer start options. When selected this mode uses the throttle servo output position to activate the timer rather than the throttle stick position. This is ideal for electric helicopter use as the timer can be paused when the output throttle position is at idle even though the stick may not be at low stick (like during an autorotation) plus the timer won’t turn off when doing full negative pitch maneuvers in stunt mode. MIX and GEAR switches have also been added to the list of available timer switches.
If you are using AirWare V1.00, I STRONGLY advise you to upgrade (many bugs fixed).
heli227 likes this.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
There are three options - also "Throttle 1-Time".

I was playing with Throttle Out before my other post and it kept running all the time, even with the stick at the bottom or hold on. But I just tried it again with the value of 25% instead of the default 15%. That worked much better, and yes, that is what the OP wants.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

If you use the Throttle Out (channel based one), it works perfectly with Hold and Cut. (I used it for quite a while).

Throttle out has been available since AirWare V1.01 of the DX8 software. (Which is why it is not listed in the official DX8 Gen 1 manual).

My DX8 was using AirWare V2.06 (released 24 Sep 2012) when I sold it after using it for over a year.

If you are using AirWare V1.00, I STRONGLY advise you to upgrade (many bugs fixed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
There are three options - also "Throttle 1-Time".

I was playing with Throttle Out before my other post and it kept running all the time, even with the stick at the bottom or hold on. But I just tried it again with the value of 25% instead of the default 15%. That worked much better, and yes, that is what the OP wants.
OMG, This was the problem. This fixed it! For some reason, my stupid mind equated Throttle 1-time with Throttle Out. Throttle 1-time is NOT what i wanted (tried and of course didn't work), but i never even tried throttle out. My mind just erased its existence.

Anyways, Throttle "OUT" works exactly as was said to work, and is exactly what I am looking for. Of course it was there.

THANKS EVERYONE!

brb, I'm going to go bash my head into a wall a few hundred times for missing that. : arggg:
Old 06-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
OMG, This was the problem. This fixed it! For some reason, my stupid mind equated Throttle 1-time with Throttle Out. Throttle 1-time is NOT what i wanted (tried and of course didn't work), but i never even tried throttle out. My mind just erased its existence.

Anyways, Throttle "OUT" works exactly as was said to work, and is exactly what I am looking for. Of course it was there.

THANKS EVERYONE!
Glad we got it all sorted for you.

Happy flying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in