Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Power Systems

Power Systems Power Systems Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pitch Curve suggestions

I successfully hovered my first scale setup of a 450pro inside a 500E fuse. I'm using a 2700kv motor with 3S packs and 350mm blade setup on a normal two-blade head.

All my helis have had traditional 3D type PC setups with -10/+10 type setups.

I setup my DX8 to a TC of 0,85,90,95,100 in normal. My PC is close to -4 to +10 but am now thinking I'm doing this incorrectly for scale.

Maybe I should be in Sport (IdleUp) mode with a flat 100% TC. Then set the PC to have no negative pitch, just the weight of the model will be sufficient for decent. Then set the PC to something like 0, 5, 7, 8, 10 with the idea that more of my collective stick travel can be used to smooth out "scale" like flying without super-quick collective pitch changes.

Am I totally confused? What do others do as to PC and TC settings?
blade_crasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

bc:

Like most of us that have 450 size machines, governors are seldom used but should be. I generally use two throttle curve settings in a two position setup and three in something like the DX-8 and 18. I have Normal set as follows: 0 - 60 - 75 - 75 - 75, Idle 1 at 85 flat across the board, and Idle 2 at 93 across the board. If it is a DX-6, I would increase the 75 to 80 for all positions and then 93 across the board for Idle 1. I have found little difference between performance at 93 vs. 100 but did find that when the ESC is properly calibrated, I get a minute or so more flight time at the lower setting.

Your pitch curve is not far off what most use but I would add just a bit more pitch at the top or have it in reserve in case you do need it. A tip I got was to start a slow climb-out to full pitch and if there is no bogging, you can add more until it bogs down or if the performance is good, leave it as is. Most set their mid-stick to about 5 degrees pitch so that they become used to a mid stick hover position. They set their swash plate so that with the arms level (normal for 3D here)the swash will be at the mid point of its travel. Rather than have 0 pitch at that position of the swash, they add about 5 degrees of pitch and then try to optimize the travel so that they have about -4 at low stick and +10 - 12 degrees at full stick.

I have my own way to do it and so far, it works just fine for me and I will keep it to myself so as not to confuse things. Do be careful of the weight that you will be lifting with your 450 mechanics. Gears are not as strong as they are with 500 size mechanics and you need to fly the helicopter in a very scale-like manner so you don't stress the power train. Good luck with your project.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 05:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd be interested in your way of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
bc:

Like most of us that have 450 size machines, governors are seldom used but should be. I generally use two throttle curve settings in a two position setup and three in something like the DX-8 and 18. I have Normal set as follows: 0 - 60 - 75 - 75 - 75, Idle 1 at 85 flat across the board, and Idle 2 at 93 across the board. If it is a DX-6, I would increase the 75 to 80 for all positions and then 93 across the board for Idle 1. I have found little difference between performance at 93 vs. 100 but did find that when the ESC is properly calibrated, I get a minute or so more flight time at the lower setting.

Your pitch curve is not far off what most use but I would add just a bit more pitch at the top or have it in reserve in case you do need it. A tip I got was to start a slow climb-out to full pitch and if there is no bogging, you can add more until it bogs down or if the performance is good, leave it as is. Most set their mid-stick to about 5 degrees pitch so that they become used to a mid stick hover position. They set their swash plate so that with the arms level (normal for 3D here)the swash will be at the mid point of its travel. Rather than have 0 pitch at that position of the swash, they add about 5 degrees of pitch and then try to optimize the travel so that they have about -4 at low stick and +10 - 12 degrees at full stick.

I have my own way to do it and so far, it works just fine for me and I will keep it to myself so as not to confuse things. Do be careful of the weight that you will be lifting with your 450 mechanics. Gears are not as strong as they are with 500 size mechanics and you need to fly the helicopter in a very scale-like manner so you don't stress the power train. Good luck with your project.

Don
louz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Don, thanks for the info. I will set up using your approach and test how the heli behaves. 2
blade_crasher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in