Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which Flight Stabilization System Should I Buy

I have a Trex 600 and am looking for a flight stabilization system to buy to help me out with my video taking. I'm thinking about buying a CoPilot II but not sure if that's the one for me. Could anyone please help me figure out which one is best for me. Thank you everyone for your help. It's all greatly appreciated.
ericrechlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The CPII will offer you what you need in this price range whether your heli is FBL or not. The only other budget system is Flymentor that offers different qualities.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What about the Captron HeliCommand?? I've seen A LOT of FPV and AP peeps using those.

I have the Helicommand 3D I would sell you for pretty cheap if you're interested. Just needs the USB adapter cable.
http://www.espritmodel.com/captron-h...b-adapter.aspx
GunnyGlow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

which one would you prefer? I've heard of the Fly Mentor before but I think the Heli Command is a little pricey. I was leaning towards the CoPilot II from some reviews I have read.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The HeliCommand system IS pretty pricey. But, for good reason I think.

APlanding.com is a pretty good forum dedicated to AP. Not that HF isn't a good place to be...but, AP is a bit of a niche and there are a number of professionals over there.

Don't cheap out on stabilization. If your video is blurry/shaky it will be kind of difficult to sell. Know what I mean? Not to mention the big investment that is flying through the air.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

how much do you want to sell the Helicommand 3d for?
Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I paid $290 from a good friend locally here in CO, which was a steal. So, I would probably be willing to let it go for $275 shipped.

Only things you really need is time to mount it/set it up and a USB adapter..... http://helidirect.com/helicommand-pc...es-p-18480.hdx

I would be open to a trade, also. PM me if you are interested and I bet we can make a deal.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I have a question,.......do either one of the units you guys are talking about, help a pilot learn to fly and or prevent a crash.
A friend of mine can fly his planes all day.....and very good too. He wants to scale fly a heli and I'm wondering if one of these stabilizers can help him......and do they work? Thanks
reALIGNed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

All of the above answer this requirement. What Helicommand 3D and Flymentor offer is a position mode where the system can lock to the ground image and hold hover with minial to no drift. This is limited to an altitude of about 6ft. Beyond that a balance mode is maintained where letting go of the cyclic will level the heli.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pril250- The FlyMentor is only about $110 and the HeliCommand is about $500. I've read a bunch of things about both and also the CoPillot II. I'd prefer the less expensive one but sometimes you get what you pay for. Is that true with these or will the Flymentor do what the HeliCommand will do but for way less cost. Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flymentor is $70 from Hobby king. I have 3 helicommands and about 8 flymentors. I think HC is a little better than FM but theres not much in it I think the biggest difference is that HC is faster to correct and less affected by vibration. HC also has auto trim that is nice provided you have enough channels on your Tx.
I have always said that I would not fit a FM to a very expensive heli nor would I fit cheap servos or esc etc but having said that I have not had a FM fail on me.
Read up on it before you decide and bear in mind that so system will help you fly a badly set up heli.
If you deside on FM you will need a PC with XP, some have managed to get the programme to work with Vista and Windows 7 but most not.
It can be set up without a PC it you buy the Hand held controller. Hope this helps.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyGlow View Post
I paid $290 from a good friend locally here in CO, which was a steal. So, I would probably be willing to let it go for $275 shipped.

Only things you really need is time to mount it/set it up and a USB adapter..... http://helidirect.com/helicommand-pc...es-p-18480.hdx

I would be open to a trade, also. PM me if you are interested and I bet we can make a deal.
cruzroy, about the PM I sent you, this is the one I was going to buy. Actually, I've already sent money to GunnyGlow. If you want this, I can ask GunnyGlow to refuse my payment and you can buy it.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also here is something to think about. And seriously think about. If you are even leaning towards paying full retail for the HC. Forget it. Buy a $15 Hobbyking fbl head, install it on your heli. And then buy a used $250 - 300 SK720. This is a much much better way to go!

All in all, I have great respect for the little flymentor at $100 incl. the field programmer. Also the HC if you get a great buy on one. I have set up quite a few Flymentors for guys and none (but my own) have ever failed. Also the better quality the servos are the better it works. For what they are they do an incredible job. In fact I am setting one up today for a guy in Bankok. His is a stretched B400. 6s Scorp 2221-2010, Ice50, Helihaven raised tail, Custom Carbonfibre skid mod, 360mm blades (it can run up to 395s). Heavily modified flybarred head. Hs65mg servos. MH gears. And the venerable Gy401 tail gyro. The only thing left stock is the plastic body shell. Even it is stuffed full of ceramics. This little thing is so stable it is scary. A child could hover it.

Pretty much due to a properly setup flymentor! Personally I have no qualms about sticking one on an expensive heli. But beyond this point, I prefer going fbl and love my Sk720s. I would have bought an HC but never seem to find a great deal on them. Most seem to go for around $200 used and Ivor tells me he has picked them up at half that price.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am wondering why very few people recommend DJI Wookong H system?
kittiwat1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

They do, down in the millionaires forum
Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The DJI wookong H is great product, especially for AP.
I know it's expensive but it's worth
Enzo148 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default i dont know why ???

people say that a fbl system dont work like stable, when install on a fb bird, i had a v120d02, and i had trouble at first, becaz that little bird is nimble, but the i bught the 45 degree head from a 4g6, and it was rock solid, not as fast but stable.......so i dont get it...ive even seen people use walkera based rx's to stable a 450 but never had the money to buy a bird just to strip it and use the walkera tx and rx...????
cruzroy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DJI H-Lite versus Helicommand Rigid

Re: DJI Wookong H-Lite versus Helicommand Rigid
These two stabilization systems have comparable price, although both are quite expensive relative to other brands. I would be interested to hear opinions of those who have experienced using them as I am looking to buy either one for my new Trex 700 E 3GX for normal flight, not for 3D or stunt. Anyone?
kittiwat1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiwat1 View Post
Re: DJI Wookong H-Lite versus Helicommand Rigid
These two stabilization systems have comparable price, although both are quite expensive relative to other brands. I would be interested to hear opinions of those who have experienced using them as I am looking to buy either one for my new Trex 700 E 3GX for normal flight, not for 3D or stunt. Anyone?
HC RIGID works quite well...

JMHO...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFtcJB1jZlo[/ame]

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an HC-3A on a 450, an HC3-SX on a 450, Skookum 720 on a 550e, and a Flymentor that I retired into a plane that I never fly. All of them are capable, I think the Helicommands are probably a bit overpriced but still cheaper that crashing all the time, which is what I did before I got them. The Skookum has nice data logging capabilities and vibration analysis. The Flymentor is probably just fine especially considering its price I never got it to really hold reliably. I wouldn't trust it my 550e with it, that's for sure.
Montana is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in