Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR X

mSR X Blade Micro SRX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MSRX upgrade questions

Thank you for any tips/answers in advance.

Anyways, I have a few questions regarding some possible upgrade ideas. First off has anyone tried putting a Nano CPX tail setup on it yet? I actually had bought an MCPX V2 one but I found its the same other than the boom its self to the nano, but I was going to use that for a possible brushless upgrade, but I guess id rather just have the Nano one since id save weight with a smaller boom. Speaking of that, does anyone know where I can buy a super easy to install brushless upgrade for the MSRX? Could I just use one from a Nano?

Now does anyone know which motor is supposed to be stronger: the Nano CPX or the MSRX ?

Well I figured the Nano was just off my own experience, and dropped one in my MSRX and heres my findings. It seems like its more powerful, not a lot more, but it seems like it. For now I just took a piece of a head card from a blade parts bag, and used that to hold in the Nanos motor in the MSRX, since its slightly smaller. Anyways in flight, it definitely has noticeably more torque, its spins up much quicker, but its top speed is very similar. So when I hit the throttle it shoots up much quicker, but I cant necessarily sustain a much higher air speed, though as of now I would have to say it still is slightly quicker. The motor does get much hotter though, and it will need breaks often if you fly like me (I rip the sky a new asshole), also it eats batteries quicker. Note here though, I have read online about people having problems with their MSRX motors, but my stock one has always run fairly cool, and has a ton of flights on it, I must have got lucky.
Note here, I have no basis for these finds other than my own senses. Thought I would share that with some of you though, as it might help you.

Also on a side note, something else I am looking for is maybe some better blades for it, maybe something stiffer, lighter, and with more pitch.

Again any help is appreciated, and hopefully I can help someone else as well.
Cfl Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mSR X motor is bigger and heavier and the heli draws more current than a Nano. The mSR X is also a slightly heavier heli. My guess is the motor is more powerful, although I don't actually know that for a fact.

If you fit a Nano motor in an mSR X, you are using one with a 7-tooth pinion versus 8-tooth on the stock motor, so you're altering the gearing (and probably not getting proper gear mesh too). Hence, it's not really a fair comparison.

As for the blades, using blades with more pitch will bring the head-speed down and the AS3X probably won't appreciate that. Some people (myself included) tried mSR blades and found they were not useful unless cut-down, in which case you end up with a weaker, smaller blade that also cost more! The stock blades are relatively thick and rigid, with a small-ish area and relatively little pitch. Presumably this is to give a high head-speed, intentionally.
Buzzfly BE (aka Walkera 4#3B)
wulfrun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

From what I have read about Nano motors, they are the last thing I would want to use in my mSR X. You'll be going through them like crap through a goose.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfrun View Post
The mSR X motor is bigger and heavier and the heli draws more current than a Nano. The mSR X is also a slightly heavier heli. My guess is the motor is more powerful, although I don't actually know that for a fact.

If you fit a Nano motor in an mSR X, you are using one with a 7-tooth pinion versus 8-tooth on the stock motor, so you're altering the gearing (and probably not getting proper gear mesh too). Hence, it's not really a fair comparison.

As for the blades, using blades with more pitch will bring the head-speed down and the AS3X probably won't appreciate that. Some people (myself included) tried mSR blades and found they were not useful unless cut-down, in which case you end up with a weaker, smaller blade that also cost more! The stock blades are relatively thick and rigid, with a small-ish area and relatively little pitch. Presumably this is to give a high head-speed, intentionally.

Actually im pretty sure last time I weighed them the Nano was heavier, and the Nano DEFINITELY uses more battery.

Well with the blade thing, I am basically just looking to get more performance out of my MSRx and like you said the stock blades are small with little pitch, and fairly heavy for what they are. So I was looking for something thinner, lighter, and maybe with more surface area so I could get more lift with not effecting head speeds (or making them faster).

Also if the MSRx has a bigger pinion then with the same main gear, shouldnt it have a higher RPM if it was more powerful? I am almost certain, even with a 7 tooth pinion that Nano motor has more torque, the NCPx as a setup is a very torquey setup, but I do understand its got a huge main gear too.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: MSRX upgrade questions

I own both. mSR X is definitely heavier.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've used some of the parts from this heli on my MSRX
4CH Mini RC Helicopter 9958
http://www.xheli.com/27h-9958-miniheli-purple.html

The Main Motors are a "Drop In", they just need a plug put on the leads. Cost 1/3 the price of the MSRX motors, and last forever.
The Main Blades can be used on the MSRX Rotor Head, but they are not a great fit. However, they do have much more lift than the MSRX Blades, with a lot less power draw, flight times increased by about 2 minutes using these blades. NOTE: These Blades do NOT like any kind of breeze, they work fine for Hovering around and orientaton practice. Must not use the MSRX Links with these blades, the Balls will keep breaking off the blades, but if you use the links from the 9958, it seems OK.
Bornwithatooth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfl Mike View Post
Actually im pretty sure last time I weighed them the Nano was heavier, and the Nano DEFINITELY uses more battery.
Blade's own figures say the mSR X is 31g and the Nano is 29g (with battery). My mSR X weighs 26.34g (no battery) with CNC swash and a heatsink. My Nano weighs 26.02g (no battery) with CNC swash and a skid-brace. Current draw on my mSR X is 1455mA and for my Nano it's 1230mA (recharge current, average of 4 batteries, hovered for 4 mins each), so I'll disagree on both counts. Of course, if you hammer the Nano with hard 3D, which the mSR X isn't capable of, then it has the potential to use more.
Quote:
Well with the blade thing, I am basically just looking to get more performance out of my MSRx and like you said the stock blades are small with little pitch, and fairly heavy for what they are. So I was looking for something thinner, lighter, and maybe with more surface area so I could get more lift with not effecting head speeds (or making them faster).
Higher lift blades means a lower head-speed for any given situation, not higher. All other things being equal, of course, which may not be true. I don't want to stop you tinkering but this was tried when the mSR X first came out (search the threads) and I don't recall anyone claiming much success. If you manage to improve on the stock blades, I'd be very interested in what and how you did it. Nearest we got was removing the ridge from the upper surface and tapering the trailing edge properly, this makes a small improvement.
Quote:
Also if the MSRx has a bigger pinion then with the same main gear, shouldnt it have a higher RPM if it was more powerful? I am almost certain, even with a 7 tooth pinion that Nano motor has more torque, the NCPx as a setup is a very torquey setup, but I do understand its got a huge main gear too.
The point is that the Nano motor is 7-tooth, the mSR X's is 8-tooth. For a given main-gear, the Nano motor has, therefore, an 8:7 advantage in torque-multiplication but also must spin 8/7ths of the speed. If the mSR X's motor manages the same head-speed (I don't know if it does) then it must have more torque but the same power. The truth is that the designers probably picked a suitable gear-ratio based on the motor (or maybe even the other way around) or certainly close to it. Optimum power from a motor depends on more than just a gear-ratio. Without measuring the actual power generated, of course, we're both just speculating.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blade says the MSRx is heavier than the the Nano? Weird, I will have to take a picture of them again on my scale. Well I know even when im not doing 3D flying, and just have the Nano in stunt mode, the batteries have a hard time keeping up, whereas, that is never the case with the MSRx, even with the Nanos motor. Like I said before I have never actually measured it, this is just from experience. It just doesnt make much since that a FP would eat more power up than a CP; you have a whole 'nother servo, plus a stronger tail motor, with a bigger more pitched tail blade, more advanced board, and even if the MSRx did weigh more than the Nano (which I swear last time a weighed the 2 the Nano was heavier), were talking like a gram, which would be about a 1/30th add, which is like just putting in a slightly bigger battery.

Ill have to look into that 9958, thing. Also I was going to say, I just got a Walkera Super CP, and that motor might fit, too, but it would definitely need a different pinion, or main gear.

Anyways, that sucks because I was never a fan of the MSRx's blades, well it would still be nice if someone just made a carbon fiber version of the stock blades that was thinner and obviously much lighter and stiffer. It seems like no one though, makes aftermarket pitched blades. Which I guess is a reason to dig the Super FP as far as FPs go (if you dont know the Super FP doesnt have pitched blades, the blade grip is what is pitched not the blade, so its basically a CP thats not a CP).
Old 05-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Blade says the MSRx is heavier than the the Nano? Weird, I will have to take a picture of them again on my scale. Well I know even when im not doing 3D flying, and just have the Nano in stunt mode, the batteries have a hard time keeping up, whereas, that is never the case with the MSRx, even with the Nanos motor. Like I said before I have never actually measured it, this is just from experience. It just doesnt make much since that a FP would eat more power up than a CP; you have a whole 'nother servo, plus a stronger tail motor, with a bigger more pitched tail blade, more advanced board, and even if the MSRx did weigh more than the Nano (which I swear last time a weighed the 2 the Nano was heavier), were talking like a gram, which would be about a 1/30th add, which is like just putting in a slightly bigger battery.
Those were the figures off the boxes. Yes, I agree the two are very similar weight, in reality. Seems to me the mSR X has relatively inefficient blades and that might account for the higher power required to hover. Also, you are correct that the Nano can hammer the battery harder but it's not a fair comparison to do hard 3D since the mSR X cannot do that. That's why I gave the figures in a hover, i.e. in a comparable situation.
Quote:
Ill have to look into that 9958, thing. Also I was going to say, I just got a Walkera Super CP, and that motor might fit, too, but it would definitely need a different pinion, or main gear.
If you can find alternative motors, a few people would be interested. Both mSR X and Nano have many people unhappy with motor-life. My mSR X motor has lasted extremely well but my Nano's has lasted only 4 months, which I consider poor, especially because I'm not even into the aggressive stuff.
Quote:
Anyways, that sucks because I was never a fan of the MSRx's blades, well it would still be nice if someone just made a carbon fiber version of the stock blades that was thinner and obviously much lighter and stiffer. It seems like no one though, makes aftermarket pitched blades. Which I guess is a reason to dig the Super FP as far as FPs go (if you dont know the Super FP doesnt have pitched blades, the blade grip is what is pitched not the blade, so its basically a CP thats not a CP).
It does seem odd that aftermarket mSR X blades are like hens-teeth for availability. Maybe Blade actually did design them as the best compromise? They are pretty tough blades though. I bought spares with the model, expecting breakages and 18 months later have not needed them.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default MSRX MH Blade Grip plus a couple others

Hey guys, brand new here with my first post and this topic seems to fit perfect.

I bought the MSRX about a month ago. When I got the heli I was only use to coax's so I had many problems. I bought the MCPX tail and tried the link mod yadda yadda, long story short it still goes backwords on yaw but I just compensate now and it flies great.

So anyways, I still crash since I'm always pushing. The bugger balls on the blade grips ALWAYS break, so I bought the MH aluminum blade grip, see pictures below.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/237...240725051z.jpg
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9...7240741413.jpg

So here in lies my problem. Now my heli has a decent vibration when I go full throttle (so it's really only super noticeable when I punch it but it's still there during normal flight just less pronounced). Has anyone bought this part and noticed the problem and if so what did you do to fix it. Or maybe you can point me to a thread where I can find the fix (I searched but this is where I've gotten so far).

Thanks greatly for any help.

BTW I bought the Turnigy 160's from hobbyking and they give more power and longer flights than the stock (good battery).
todd6678 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just recently modded a set of Super FP blade grips onto my msrx rotor head. It was difficult to squeeze the Super FP feathering shaft into the msrx rotor head but once done the grips fit perfectly. I tried using nano, mcpx, and 130x blades and all of them worked... the nano blades need to be shimmed better than I managed, and the 130x blades were ridiculous providing lift at about 25% throttle.

It's worth noting I have a brushless setup with a 13000kv hp03.

My guess is the nano blades would work really well if not wobbling around in the holders, but as it is mcpx blades work much better. Stock they have too much control surface and I got odd swash movement; cut to nano length and tapered slightly they seemed to be working nicely.

Then I ran it into the ground and broke a grip. I really didn't get enough flying time to settle anything. I'll post some pics when I'm back from vacation if anyone is interested. I've ordered some more, so hopefully they'll arrive soon.
giiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Todd6678,

In that 2nd photo you posted, it looks like one of the feathering shaft o-rings isn't seated in the rotor head. The o-rings fit into a recess on either side, then there should be a small brass spacer between each o-ring and the blade grip.

The feathering shaft being off like that would definitely produce vibrations.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think you're right. I just looked at it and it looks like that o-ring might be out of place. GOOD EYE!! It's been driving me nuts lol.

I'll let you know if that fixes it.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

So it turns out I was missing both the washers, which is why one of the o-rings is just hanging out there.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my parts to get in. I'm tempted to pick up an MCPX while waiting...
Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol, that would cause vibrations. I'm surprised it flew at all.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea, it fly ok minus the vibrations at full throttle though.

I ended up buying the microheli swash plate along with the swindle hardware set. I took my heli completely apart, cleaned the servo connections, put it all back together, and it's flying smoother than out of the box. The Microheli swash and blade grips, imo, are well worth the extra $'s. It'll also more than likely save me money in the long run since I won't have to buy any blade grips for hopefully a long time to come.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in