Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What's the next step?

Hi 120sr enthusiasts! I've been flying this model for two summers now and I think I'm ready to advance. I would like to try a collective pitch, maybe a little bigger than the 120sr due to the limitations placed on it by wind. I'm not interested in 3D flying, just a true helicopter flight experience. Any suggestions? Which model, in your opinion, is the best choice to move up into?
DougK9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any chance you have a simulator? You will find Collective pitch challenging but not at all impossible. Keep it simple. Nano!

NANO CPX SERVICE AND FLYING LINKS FOR NEWBIES
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=596574

Real flight or Phoenix simulator first would be a great help.
I'm not up on all the new Horizon stuff but keep it simple.

Study the new FBL stuff!
Practice every day and it will come. As you already know how to fly forward flight and turns. Once you can hover a FBL heli you will find that forward flight and turns are no problem. Getting used to a little helicopter that will take a little time. After that your going to love CP.

Once you can hover and fly Nano CPX around, BL is a great helicopter!
I love it.

But as soon as you can fly Nano, the whole world or 450 opens up to you!
It will take a little time to get used to the power and speed of 450 but it's there if you want to fly 450.

Last edited by Imzzaudae; 08-17-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK9 View Post
Hi 120sr enthusiasts! I've been flying this model for two summers now and I think I'm ready to advance. I would like to try a collective pitch, maybe a little bigger than the 120sr due to the limitations placed on it by wind. I'm not interested in 3D flying, just a true helicopter flight experience. Any suggestions? Which model, in your opinion, is the best choice to move up into?
Without a doubt Blade mcpx providing you have access to indoor flying.
Try to go for the V2 brushed version.
GadgetMart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

SIM!

If you already have one.
Blade 230s has safe which will ease you into collective pitch with auto level and bank limits. Also has 3D mode which will be your stepping stone into bigger Heli's. Its not bad on price and has tons of parts and support in your lhs. If you think that's too small to with blade but that heli has no stability mode so be careful
Old 08-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1

I second the 230S if you want something CP that is easy to learn on and bigger. If you have a LHS you won't be down waiting on parts. Even if you don't you can get them in a couple of days. You can get an even larger non-Blade heli after that if you decide.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What is this SIM I keep hearing about? Is it a video game to practice on or something?
DougK9 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Kind of. It is a flight simulator, If you crash, nothing gets broken.

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello,

Next step? Maybe XK 110?
Tip: Restart learning to fly (especially FFF) a CP heli (almost) from 0 :-)

Usual routes:
Coax - MSR - FP FBL - MicroCP (30-45/60g) - 450++ or
Quad - Quad agility mode (CP-like) - CP

Flying 450 is IMHO more agile (with no previous MicroCP experience) than stability of 500 (bigger, more heavy). At least that is what other guys are writing

Two summers?
The 120sr will then have tought you some bad heli basics / habits that is
- put throttle stick down on emergency situations (that killed my 4503D when it went with at least -4 to -5 degree pitch into field at full 73% throttle)
- put nick (elev) forward and hold in FF flight
- missing collective to nick and roll coordination in and after curve

I actually pretty much hated how the 120sr flew outdoors with its 45 mechanical stabilization bar fighting against ther bar with nick/elev all the time against it. Nanocpx flew that much different.
Bigger than 120sr? That means more crash massive (more weight).

What should NOT be next directly after 120SR (at once):
300/450/500+ heli.

That gone that wrong with my Blade4503D.
The 120sr did !!!NOT!!! teach the right reflexes.
And I was on Reflex XTR SIM before for a longer time.
Took me one season flying gliders, warbirds + SIM + Nanocpx (end of season) to train my stick reflexes.
The 120sr is nice for hovering and for teaching the basic stick movements. Nothing more IMHO.

Try to throw away (almost) all learned wrong FF flight stearing habits.
If you already know that you have (almost) to start from zero with a SIM and a MicroHeli (Nano, Mcpx, etc.) or quad with agility mode (MQX, NanoQX, etc.) CP life will get much easier for you instead of trying to adopt the wrong skills / techniques to any (real) bigger CP heli.

You will crash (I did in FFF) - and even hovering and fighting against the helis agility will get a challenge for you.

Take it slow. Each step after step.

Take care.

One tip from forums: XK K110.

PS: Please don`t take anything any personal. I am just talking about my personal 120sr 1st heli learner - SIM - 4503D - Nanocpx - 200qx (crash) experience to try to get your replacement costs low.
Nothing is more frustrating (besides costs + rebuild time) banning a bigger crashed heli into basement - like I did for ~1 season.

Thomas
Walkera Devo 10/DeviationTX (12CH DSMx & telemetry)...Ex-DX8...Blade 4503D...Walkera V120D02s...XK K110...Blade 200QX quad...Ex-NanoCPX...Ex-120SR...StrykerQ (LEDs, M2 tuning)...Ex-MPX EGP...PPZ P51-D...PZ Wildcat (searching fuselage-firewall)
Thomas.Heiss is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF MR Support

Default What's the next step?

Lot's of good info here.....

My first cp heli was the (other than SR (another story)) Blade mCP X v2.

The optional landing gear was a huge help practicing spool up & lift off! http://www.horizonhobby.com/carbon-f...x-msr-eflh3023

Also, besides the flight sim, you're gonna need a decent transmitter.
Skapr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougK9 View Post
A good QUAD!

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in