Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh yes,you need to use two batteries wired in parelell.You could use or make a Y jst plug...a 2 into 1 plug.
Have a safe trip and i can't wait to see your pics.
I'm working on my SR120sr mash.But i need to get a battery because i split the only one i had up for the 120.LOL

Heli Bones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are a few frame grabs from the video. Enjoy!

Here is a link to a photo taken with my iPhone:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...leyT99/BH1.jpg

I have more pics on how I did it, and will post them soon I hope when I arrive at a motel.

I am seriously wondering what other body styles are compatible with the SR 120. I would love a Blue Thunder heli.

urrl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

urrl,Thank you for the pics.
That looks really good!
I like it a lot,the wheels look good.
How long are you getting for a flight time?
And the tail motor....that is a nice and clean install you did there.

I don't know what bodies they make for the cx2/3 helis besides the seahawk/blackhawk..jet ranger ...the cx3 police body,but i don't think it would work out to well....and the stock ones,they do have a gun kit for the stock military one but imho it's not such a nice body.
A Blue Thunder body would be nice to have.
I would like to see a chinook with two rotors the size of the 120 sr rotors.
Looking forward to the details..flight time,motor temps is it much hotter the same or cooler........are you running two batteries...did you try flying it with one battery and do you use the stock TX?

Heli Bones
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started buliding this Coastguard Agusta AW109 body about a week ago. It's a CX2 body shortened with some cutouts and mods, modified tail, also painted. There's still more to do, paint and otherwise. The wheels are from a scale blackhawk, the horizontal tailfins from the blade SR. Length wise it's the same as the original 120, indeed I've kept the tail boom and pulled through the tail end of the canopy. This is certainly not something that I want to crash after so much work .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UL_IMG_6363.jpg
Views:	8340
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	180345   Click image for larger version

Name:	UL_IMG_6364.jpg
Views:	7938
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	180346   Click image for larger version

Name:	UL_IMG_6365.jpg
Views:	8435
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	180347  
I am a Heli-Coholic! Citizen #207
PRÔTOS Max v2 PRÔTOS 380 Speed Goblin 380 Blade 180CFX
MKS KDE MSH Brain

Last edited by Tomy.; 09-16-2010 at 02:54 AM..
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow Tomy!.....That looks really good!!!
That is nice what you did with the stock cx2 body...I didn't even notice that it was a reworked stock cx2 body...really nice work.
Are you running two batteries?
This is really great to see other folks putting scale bodies on the 120 sr!!!
I can see i am going to have a few 120 sr's in different bodies......Nice helis guys!!!

Heli Bones
Old 09-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks HB! Right now it's only an empty airframe and the shell plus wheels. It's going to be somewhat heavier than the stock 120 due to the larger canopy and the paint on it. I have a few 1200mah batteries coming from HK, I'll use those. The CX2 nose cone is larger, I estimate the larger batteries will fit. I have almost enough spareparts to build this from scratch, HH is sending me a new 5-1 for one that failed on me but I already bought a new one from the LHS so I'll have that too. I basically will only need a main motor and a swash, then I'll end up having two of the 120's .
My biggest concern right now is that how effective the tail rotor would be with the large vertical tail fin next to it.

Since it takes a day or more for a color to thoroughly dry before I can mask it and paint the new color, it'll be a few more days to finish. With some luck (from Mr.Weatherman, too) I can try it over the weekend.
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's great to see the brain power people are pouring into the thinking process of how to make the 120SR nicer to the looks, but we're all willing to give up some weight/power ratio. I was thinking how could I gain some of it back (to make the heli lighter), but eflite did a kick a** job and short of removing the blades or the 5-1 I've no idea. Of course that wouldn't fly far .
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 09-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very impressed with your work Tomy. That is one sweet looking Heli
My tail fin is pretty wide too but I have no problems; my Heli does have the TBE effect however, but it's manageable. Since there was no TBE with the stock 120SR I am pretty sure the problem is either weight distribution or main rotor angle, since I had to guess the vertical angle of the main rotor by eye. I can drill more rod holes to adjust the angle of the chassis, so when I get time I'll try that as well as experiment with weight. The heli flies about 4 minutes with the stock battery. It was still pretty breezy this morning so I tested it in the motel, hovering it while recording battery life. Really looking forward to your finished work Tomy!

This may be the only modified 120 SR heli I make guys, though it was enjoyable doing it. But if i see a compatible Apachi/Blue thunder body I may remove the guts from my Seahawk and try it. Heliartist has a lot of cool bodies for different sized heli's. I am tempted to go that route and get a larger heli.
http://www.heliartist.com/showroom/

That heat glue gun really made it easier; don't know what I would have done with the landing gear without it.

I am also waiting patiently for this to arrive in the US so if anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll probably order a blade pack like this for it when it becomes available:
http://www.helipal.com/2-x-airy-hard...and-ax-13.html

I dunno; I like the look of this heli with built in lights but I also loved coming up with ideas to put together the Seahawk with my own hands, so I'll keep looking into stuff by Heliartist meanwhile and wait and see.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

After adjusting the servos on the Seahawk the stability is much increased and I found by doing this I do not need two batteries to weight down the nose. The result is less weight and the battery life is significantly increased during a flight. Very encouraging but I will continue to adjust.

I'm going to drill another set of rod holes to set the frame further back into the heli, thus giving more weight to the nose.

Stay tuned.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been interested in that flybarless bird as well. My only gripe is the orange, and the incorrect "unscale-like" navigation lights they attempted to put on it. If it's the same size as the Madhawk body I've got, I'd swap it, and redo those lights for more scale look. Still, I'm impressed on their set-up.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've set the frame back between a quarter and half an inch. The TX controls in flight are all almost dead center so much of the nose heaviness is gone. It feels more like the stock 120 SR now with one stock battery on board and the flight time has increased from 4 to 5 minutes. I noticed some 3.7v portable phone batteries in the Target store so after I put two stock batteries in parallel I will have one spare plug. Perhaps if the phone battery is light enough I will try it. I don't remember the price for sure but I think it was about $10.

Marcwolf I think they could have used a better color than orange too. I'm needing something with more precise control and something to stand up more against breezes, yet I don't want to go too big yet. I just want something that looks real and performs well and feels more solid. Not sure if they have anything like that out yet.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

I actually like that orange. Easier to find the pieces in the grass .

Urrl good job with moving the canopy up, I was hoping that it gives you more control with less weight! There is a thread here about aftermarket lipos with a few links and I have ordered a couple large ones (can't remember 1200 or 1300) and those were designed with small helis and planes in mind, probably they are lighter than the phone batts. But I pretty much found that the capacity/weight ratio (charge density) is pretty much the same on the different capacity and brand 1S lipos that can work with the SR120 (I mean 1000mah no matter what manufacurer will be 2x the stock 500mah weight) because the C ratings that would impact the weight and size are not significantly different for these (mostly 15 or 20). Hope this helps.
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

After hooking up a set of batteries on parallel I am getting 10 min and 38 seconds.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
After hooking up a set of batteries on parallel I am getting 10 min and 38 seconds.

Ten min with the seahawk body??!!??!!

That is surpriseing to hear,i have only been useing the single 1000 mah cell and i can only get 7 min....i did get 14 min with two batteries with the stock 120 sr....i'll have to try two stock batteries in place of the 1000 mah and see what i get.
How do your main and tail motor temps feel?

Heli Bones
Old 09-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

HB, even with my crappy batteries due to my stock charger overcharge, some gives me over 6 mins on 500mAh with my mod'd heli. Note that I'm flying with 250 skids etc. which added more weight then the difference between the 1000mah and 500mah batts. If you get only 7 mins with the 1000mah, something is not kosher with your setup or the battery. Did you measure how much charge you're putting back after each flight?
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tommy....

I'm running the 120 sr with the jet ranger body,it is a lot more heavy than stock,the 7 min is with the 1000 mah cell and the jet ranger body.

Not the plain old stock 120 sr...with it all stock and with the 1000 mah cell i get 14 min flight times!!

Heli Bones
Old 09-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah I see this makes sense. 14 mins with all stock on 1000mah with the added battery weight is pretty darn good!
MKS KDE MSH Brain
Old 09-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you guys noticed this thread on scale bodies?
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=71511&page=61
I may post a pic or two there.

By the way I've ordered one of these:
http://www.scaleflying.com/EC135-Fib...e41_p_735.html
I will see if the Blade SR sitting in the closet can become operational enough to fit it once I buy a main rotor shaft for it. If it does not work out I may be compelled to get an Align 450.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by singingperry View Post
Got em ready (2 sets) just give me your address.no charge.got some rings of heat shrink that are larger and shouldn't need stretching.Includes an illustration.
H aven't heard back from you, wonder if someone used you're address and sent you something that is something else. My same mod is still working flawlessly for me.
singingperry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry havent gotten back..got them and still have them..sold the 120SR for now but will get another one.

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in