Diagnosing an Issue - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Diagnosing an Issue

I converted my MCPX v2 to brushless thanks to the work of NCcraig using a 7amp esc and AEO M5 motor. I have been flying with 300mah Nanotech and it has been great. The other day I landed and plugged in a new battery when I initialized the ESC the motor started really jerky like it didn't want to spin and the ESC got hot so I unplugged it. I let everything cool off and tried it again but got the same result. The motor spins but really jerky and the ESC gets hot.

I am just not sure if the issue is with the ESC or the motor and hate to throw money at it. Is there a way to check the ESC short of buying a new motor and testing it out? When spinning it by hand the motor seems to spin fine and I don't see any broken wires.
tbullard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a short to me. The motor should not move until you tell it to with the sticks. Does it beep? Because it sounds like instead of sending a signal to the motor to just beep it is telling it to move when you plug in the battery.

Edit..... Read it again and you are initializing the esc. Sounds like a lose motor lead to me now.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Check for debris in your motor too. I had my C05 bird do this once and it was a servo screw lodged in the motor Don't ask me how it got there.

But, it acted in exactly the same manner
/ 130x, 180cfx, 300x, X3, x3L, X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 500 stretch, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, DX18, 07 Harley Road King, 2004 Sportster (for sale), 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
Sounds like a short to me. The motor should not move until you tell it to with the sticks. Does it beep? Because it sounds like instead of sending a signal to the motor to just beep it is telling it to move when you plug in the battery.

Edit..... Read it again and you are initializing the esc. Sounds like a lose motor lead to me now.
Yes, everything is initializing as it should and the motor is only trying to move when I ask it to

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
Check for debris in your motor too. I had my C05 bird do this once and it was a servo screw lodged in the motor Don't ask me how it got there.

I have pulled the c-clip and had the motor in 2 pieces and can't find anything out of the ordinary. Everything seems to spin without resistance except when power is supplied it is like the motor is under a load.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
Yes, everything is initializing as it should and the motor is only trying to move when I ask it to

I have pulled the c-clip and had the motor in 2 pieces and can't find anything out of the ordinary. Everything seems to spin without resistance except when power is supplied it is like the motor is under a load.
Did you happen to see the edit? Might want to check for a bad motor connection.
litehawkdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post

Yeah, either a clean workbench, or bag the motor when doing bench work.
Never had it happen, but am aware of the possibilities. A 700E motor can pick up all sorts of trash.

if the esc is getting hot, its probably because the motor is not spooling up, but a shorted winding can do it too. Since you have ruled out mechanical binding, a shorted winding, a bad connection, or a cold solder joint can do this.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

time to pull out the multimeter and do a continuity check of the phases/windings.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Starcruiser is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcruiser View Post
time to pull out the multimeter and do a continuity check of the phases/windings.
Yeah your going to have to provide me a link or something for that one.

Seem like everyone is saying a motor issue vs an ESC issue so I placed an order for an AEO CO5M hopefully that takes care of it.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not real hard actually. Can you use a DVM (Digital Voltage Meter)? if you know how to test for resistance then I can walk you through this.

1. Put your meter into its mode to measure resistance (Ohms).
2. Disconnect the motor from the ESC
3. Measure the resistance between each lead and the metal can or top plate of the motor, this should measure infinite resistance, if not then replace the motor
4. Measure the resistance between each wire (in pairs), the resistance should be the same between each, if one set shows a higher reading this means you have an open or partial open. replace the motor

If you have made it through the list and all checks OK then the ESC would be suspect as one of the FET's is probably bad for some reason.

You can get a cheap meter from Radio Shack if you do not have one.you should get one if you do not have one.
Trex 550E FS Vbar Pro 5.2- EXI-450T Mini Vbar Pro 5.2 - EXI 450T BeastX - Trex 250SE - mCPx v1 Hp05 & HP06 w/HP03t tails - AMA #952544
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well based on those readings the motor is fine so it might be the esc. Guess I will wait until the new motor gets here since it is ordered to see if I get the same result before proceeding with changing the esc.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The jerky start-up or bouncing but no proper rotation is usually one of the phases not working, this can be the motor or the ESC, if the resistance check proved the motor to be OK then one of the FET banks of the ESC is not firing properly or one of the FET's in a bank is shorted or open. Shorted will cause heating of the ESC, open condition will cause the jerky movement with no or minimal heating.

WHen you get the new motor connect it prior to installing it and see how the ESC behaves. My bet is the ESC is the culprit in this case.

Good luck with your troubleshooting
Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like your right the new motor gave the same results guess its time for a new ESC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.