Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattinfla View Post
I installed a locking switch on my DS-16, and programmed it as a parallel throttle hold. The transmitter will alarm and not start unless the locking switch is in the hold position.

Prevents both brain farts and accidental switch actuation.
Does anyone know if a DX6/7/9/etc can assign hold to two different switches like this? I really like the locking switch idea, but it only works if you have two switches assigned to TH...otherwise you'd be way less safe in flight with just the locking switch assigned.
bredler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredler View Post
Does anyone know if a DX6/7/9/etc can assign hold to two different switches like this? I really like the locking switch idea, but it only works if you have two switches assigned to TH...otherwise you'd be way less safe in flight with just the locking switch assigned.
I suppose the alternative would be to put in a new locking switch and wire it in parallel to the one that I normally use for TH, then short out the switch wires I took away so that it stays in one 'position' and the radio wouldn't see that input as floating. I could do that, and honestly a heli is likely to utilize the largest number of switches on a 6 channel radio anyway (maybe a full house sailplane, but I would want a better radio for that anyway) so if the switch rewiring works for my heli, I wouldn't be limiting my radio for other models I would likely use it for.

Does anyone see why this wouldn't work, or have a firm yes or no to my original question?
Old 02-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a G2 radio, but they are more powerful in programming compared to my DX8 (where I could make it) so you should not have any problem.

The trick is to have one of the two switches you want to use configured as TH, and the other one configured as TC (throttle cut). They will both prevent the spool up.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
I don't have a G2 radio, but they are more powerful in programming compared to my DX8 (where I could make it) so you should not have any problem.

The trick is to have one of the two switches you want to use configured as TH, and the other one configured as TC (throttle cut). They will both prevent the spool up.

Duh. Major brainfart there. I'll open up the radio and see what size switch I need this weekend, order it up and do a teflon sheet mod for my throttle while I'm at it.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopyetz View Post
House guest asked to watch me fly helicopter today. After I set helicopter down I turned around and he had picked up tx near me and began moving sticks around. When I got the tx in my hands and placed it near helicopter and turned it on the throttle was at the halfway point and the throttle location warning came on. Glad I have this warning . LiPo wasn't plugged in yet .

Stupid oversight on my part not to even notice where the stick was.
yeah, the TX is as dangerous a gun

having a helicopter plugged in and letting someone hold the TX is dangerous even if it's off

turning it on and messing with the sticks after it turns on..

It was like the comments I read when some lady got eaten by a whirlpool touching the water by the rapids that looked calm but it had 10x the force of something at Niagra. A lot of comments saying she was stupid but if you don't know rapids you think it's safe. She got pulled in by the leg.

It's my responsibility to make sure it works and know what could go wrong despite what everyone else is saying because they do not see what I foresee.
AntDX316 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2016, 11:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredler View Post
The dx9 allows you to set warnings for various switch positions. I have mine set to make sure mine is on before it will stop warning me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattinfla View Post
This ^^^

And don't let people distract you while you are doing your mental checklist.
Agreed. Another thing the dx9 has is a programmable preflight check list
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntDX316 View Post
yeah, the TX is as dangerous a gun

having a helicopter plugged in and letting someone hold the TX is dangerous even if it's off

turning it on and messing with the sticks after it turns on..

It was like the comments I read when some lady got eaten by a whirlpool touching the water by the rapids that looked calm but it had 10x the force of something at Niagra. A lot of comments saying she was stupid but if you don't know rapids you think it's safe. She got pulled in by the leg.
Agreed. You should also never have a heli on with the tx off unless you are testing your failsafe.
T-Rex 800DFC Pro, 700LTOP, 700L Night, 550V2, 470LT, 250DFC, Oxy-2 x2, 3 x2, 4, Goblin 500 Sport(soon), Fireball x2, Blade 230s Night, 180CFX, MCPS, Nano CPX & NQX2 FPV, Vortex 250, Inductrix FPV. K110 Cars/Trucks/Planes AMA#L965241, Part 107 Pilot
#iamundeservedlyblessedandiknowit
TeeJayShelton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Happened to me too. I was flying my 450 and after landing I put the Tx aside so I go and disconnect the lipo plug on the heli. My friend picked up the Tx and I shouted don't touch it as the heli is still on. He left it alone. I now have the Tx close to me at all times.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in