Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gcp servo problem

Hey guys I have a problem with the front servo on my Gcp it's not getting full up and down travel any one know a fix for this thanks in advance
jb1024 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It depends on what is causing the limited range.

I don't know the GCP specifically, although I am sure others who do will chime in but on different TXs and RXs, the range of a given servo can be limited/controlled by either the TX, RX or both.

Generally servos don't have a range of motion problem so it is probably setting on the TX or RX. But again, someone with more experience than I, which is just about EVERYONE, should be along to help you more.
Heli-opolis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks maybe my servo is dead then lol
Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The servo's will do that and the easy way to think of it is this way...

Imagine a gear that turns CW and CCW as you move the servo back and forth via the xmitter. Now imaging that this gear needs only turn part way in each direction to cover the FULL swing of the servo arm. That isn't imaginary since that is what really goes on. When a tooth or two from this gear gets torn off in a crash or whatever, it means that instead of encountering constant jerky motion problems like you would expect, if the gear had to rotate several times to move the arm to each end (and there are some of those too in there) in this case it is the gear everyone complains about. it is the gear that connects to the gear that makes up the servo shaft. I think there was hope out there in servo land that someone had found compatible gears. You need to replace the one you have for now, and since you are in this for the long haul, get a spare or two, or use your backup bird to get you through the down time a stripped or in this case a missing tooth or 2 might cause.
Hope this helps.
Paul

p.s. Be sure to take the old servo apart and learn from it. The 4 screws release both covers. Take the arm off and pop that end off the servo off. You don't need to take the electronics cover off on the 'wire end' of the servo unless you're curious. (You want to be that in this hobby too!) When you get the gear end off being careful to keep the shaft cover facing up so you don't spill the gears you will at least be able to remove and rotate the gear with the missing tooth so that the 'gap-tooth' is limited to a portion of the gear that isn't used. See other posts for details on that. I've seen them.
Intheway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do the servo saver mod, no more stripped servos. I have a bag full of spare servo gears (bought during the short time Walkera made them available) which I don't need now because the servo saver mod works.

http://benmlee.com/Genius_Servo_Saver.htm
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2066
bytemuncher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I changed to a new servo and the front servo still will not level with the others so the heli wants to fly forward all the time
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Turn sw-1 on the receiver off to disable the computer from the control loop that moves the servos. At this point only the radio will move the servos, not the position (tilt) of the bird, just the transmitter. In this mode you can turn on TH to stop the motors. If your pitch curve in TH on mode goes from -100% on the left of the curve and +100% on the right, then moving the throttle stick should move the swash plate up and down. The swash should be level if you don't move the cyclic (right) stick at all. With the throttle (pitch) set to mid-point (50%) the swash will be in the center where there is zero pitch. Be SURE that all 3 servo arms are relatively horizontal. I'm guessing that you will notice that the arm on the "front servo" (ELE) is not horizontal like the other 2 servos. This is because when you replaced it, you have the servo arm installed incorrectly on the servo shaft. As you know the shaft and arm have groves in them to keep from slipping. These groves limit what angle you can put the arm at to a 'click' at a time. If you are a 'click' off in either direction because when you put the arm back on the new servo shaft you were off by a click, then pull the arm back off and get it as close to level as you can with the above setup. When this is done the swash should be level again. If not you may need to tweak the connecting rod length on it. My experience has been that if you just replace the servo and leave the existing arm in place with the linkage etc. then as long as you get the arm back on in the same 'click' point as the old one was, you should be level and ready to fly.

Don't forget to turn sw-1 back on using the switch on the receiver board. You won't be able to fly it without the computer helping with the servo movements!

Hope this helps.
Intheway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in