Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Fuselage Forum

Fuselage Forum Fuselage Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Default Anti-skid Tape on a Compound Curved Gear Strut

How many of you have tried to use find wet/dry paper for duplicating the anti-skid tape on curved landing struts and gave up in disgust? I was almost there tonight after trying to try and make it stick to the struts with Shoe Goo but the edges buckled every time. I then tried mixing glass beads (really small) and paint but the paint and beads clumped up and dried too fast (bad choice of paint, maybe) so that was a disaster.

I went back to the paper but this time I took the blunt end of my X-acto knife and put it on a new strip of wet/dry paper then pulled the tape vertical while letting the knife end slide along the paper. It created a stretch in the middle of the paper that immediately allowed the paper to sit on the strut like it was molded in place. A bit more Shoe Goo and all four were in place looking better than the straight pipes, lol. Hope this helps you and I know there are a bunch of Jet Ranger landing gear that have just been done around this forum. Take care.

Don

PS: That picture was hard to setup but if you can't figure it out from that and the explanation, I will then do a video.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anti-skid Tape making 1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	571875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anti-skid Tape making 2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	571876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anti-skid Tape making 3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	571877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anti-skid Tape making 4.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	571878  
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Good work Don! How did you do the T-joint bracing on the struts?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks John. Those were done by applying tape to the areas to create a limit to where the Hysol would be applied. I added the glue with a small piece of fibreglass rod that I use as a glue stick until I created a layer about a mm thick. Once it started to setup, I removed the tape and worked the glue until it was smooth. After it was set, I trimmed it with a knife and when fully cured, sanded it to get as even a surface as I could. Screw and bolt heads were done with Formula 560 canopy glue. Hope this covers it. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very good idea with the paper. I remember my model car days, I would do a "vinyl" roof by rolling on the black paint with a q-tip.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used 3M wrap grade vinyl on my 450. This color is called Charcoal Matte Metallic, in the right lighting it has the same sparkle like anti-skid tape but it's thin and easy to work with... you just cut your strips to size, position, work the air out from underneath, press to lay flat then hit with a heat gun. This would easily solve your solution on the curves....

This is the same material I did the Red Bull graphics with, I figure if it's strong enough to cover a car then I should have no issues with it here!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429366280.552633.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	580711

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429366295.448514.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	580712
murderisthegame is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

220 Grit sand paper.

Cut strips and soaked them in warm water. Lightly dry then put them in designated spot on tubing. Wrap entire length with paper, secured with tape. Let dry (overnight). Once dry remove tape and paper. Now non-skid is shaped to tube. Apply 3M spray adhesive to both surfaces and place.
sean911sc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2016, 05:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use skateboard anti-skid paper.

It looks exactly the same but already has the self-stick on the backside. I bought a large piece for about $5.00 at a skateboard shop.

It lays down very nicely and the corners don't/haven't yet come up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	678083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	678084  
Old 11-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried the textured paint yet? I was able to achieve real like anti-skid steps with it. It can be messy so you have to tape off just about everything.
Flsurfer7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in