Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Main to tail blade clearance

What is considered the bare minimum clearance between the main and tailblade if you push down the tip of the main blade towards the tail?

On a Trex 700 is used 690 blades before but i bought 3 sets in 710mm size.
When i eyeball it i estimate a 15 mm space between main and tail.
Sirolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never had any issues running 710's on my DFC head.
Baedarlboo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2017, 03:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Do you still run the normal boom lenght? 785mm, DFC edition runs a 800mm boom so my situation would not be an issue.
Sirolf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sirolf,

Best way to check is not by trying to 'bend' the main blades but by letting the blade lead or lag in the grip. Combined with pitch the lead or leg will angle the blade down toward the tail without actually bending the blade. Now just find the position where the blade tips come closest by turning the head a few times.

FWIW on the 700X with stock 700mm mains and 105mm tails the gap between the tips using this method is 8mm. So if you fitted 710mm blades you would be able to get them to touch.

This is a harsh test and one that you are unlikely to replicate in flight so i just aim for them to have 'some' clearance.. a couple of mm is enough IMHO.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirolf View Post
Do you still run the normal boom lenght? 785mm, DFC edition runs a 800mm boom so my situation would not be an issue.
785mm. Mine was a LE converted to DFC head and had Rail 106 tails on at the time.
Come to think of it, it was Edge 715's. So 710's should have plenty of clearance.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baedarlboo View Post
785mm. Mine was a LE converted to DFC head and had Rail 106 tails on at the time.
Come to think of it, it was Edge 715's. So 710's should have plenty of clearance.

Nope, check my post, 715 mains and 106mm tails would overlap by around 6mm... But you would 'get away' with it most of the time, it's only in very hard flying and/or high pitch ranges that you would be likely to hit problems, but for sure with thoise blades the potential for blade clash is there. Check it yourself, it just takes seconds.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
Nope, check my post, 715 mains and 106mm tails would overlap by around 6mm... But you would 'get away' with it most of the time, it's only in very hard flying and/or high pitch ranges that you would be likely to hit problems, but for sure with thoise blades the potential for blade clash is there. Check it yourself, it just takes seconds.
Going off memory as I got rid of the 700N long ago and moved on to other platforms.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Buddy ,I guess you got those latest units of SAB 710 mm 2D from SAB italy right?

I did the same, not tested yet but I can tell you:

1) I used multiple flights 705 + 110 with 3G head with no issues at F3C contest ( even with softer red dampers F3C)

2) 700 N v1 was initially designed to handle up to 710 mm + 105 with stock FB head and I guess also with first 3G head

Which head and dampers are you using?

If you dont smak it down really hard you can even use 95 mm tail blades with no issues at all so far if you preffer to be on the safe side

Regards

Alberto.-
albertoc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in