Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 Aftermarket Upgrades

450 Aftermarket Upgrades 450 Aftermarket Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up New Upgrades for the TREX 450Pro Available from KDE Direct!

Hey HeliFreakers,

We just released the first upgrade for the TREX 450 Pro series of helicopters, the Aluminum Battery Mount and Canopy Clip Upgrade! Check it out at: http://www.kdedirect.com/450SeriesProducts.html.

The new AT450P-BMU upgrade provides a new Aluminum Battery Tray that serves as an excellent ESC mount underneath, as well as a LiPo Anti-Taco Protection design utilzing a fully-supported LiPo along it's entire length. Included in the upgrade is an Aluminum Canopy Clip, which incorporates the front landing skid mount as part of the design for accurate alignment and strength.

My favorite part of the new design is the open front section, which allows the pilot to tuck the ESC and LiPo wires underneath before replacing the canopy, as well as added front slots for an additional LiPo strap for hard 3D.

Thanks again for everyone's support of the KDE Direct brand and there are more to come, so keep checking back with us on a regular basis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT450P-BMU1.jpg
Views:	1359
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	96392   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT450P-BMU2.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	96393   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT450P-BMU3.jpg
Views:	1396
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	96394   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT450P-BMU4.jpg
Views:	2736
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	96395  
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

That looks awesome.
Cameron_S is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i want that tail servo mount!!
haha101 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

What is the weight increase?
NotEnoughTime is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTime View Post
What is the weight increase?
http://www.kdedirect.com/TREX450PBMU.html

Fixxxer
fixxxer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Thanks for the weight of the KDE parts.....I was asking Weight Increase/Difference.
And no, I will not take the stock parts off my heli to weigh, lol
Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Weight of stock parts.....

Battery Mount 12.2 Grams
Anti-Rotation 5.5 Grams
Tail Servo Mount 5.4 Grams

Hope this helps when making new parts...

Wizzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
Weight of stock parts.....

Battery Mount 12.2 Grams
Anti-Rotation 5.5 Grams
Tail Servo Mount 5.4 Grams

Hope this helps when making new parts...

Thanks!

Do you have the weight of the stock canopy clip?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTime View Post
Thanks!

Do you have the weight of the stock canopy clip?

It is part of the stock battery mount......

Wizzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh thats right...

Thanks again.

So only about a 7g increase then with those 2 parts.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You do know the ESC fit perfect under there even before the mod so its really not a huge benefit of the new part.

in fact there is a factory hole cut for the ESC battery wires in the curve down.

Its a nice piece and all but looks heavy when fireups design was perfect and still light.

CeeveeSiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea, I just ordered the original ATD from fireup and it seems great for me.

KDE parts add to the bling a bit more if that's what your going for.

Saying that, I will most likely get their anti-rotation bracket when it comes out.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

ill probley get the anti and tail servo holder when they come out
haha101 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The overall weight addition is actually less than 7 grams versus the stock unit, as the canopy clip incorporates the front aluminum landing skid mount as well. I've been waiting on my gram scale to arrive from the manufacturer this week, so I can start providing everyone with weight comparison information on all my designs. Overall, the new 450Pro design is extremely light in comparison to the significant strength advantage and LiPo protection the new upgrade provides.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I finally received the precision gram scale tonight and here are the weight differences:

KDE Direct TREX 450P Battery Tray: 13.61 g
KDE Direct TREX 450P Canopy Clip: 5.75 g
Total: 19.36 g

Stock TREX 450P Battery Tray: 12.12 g
Stock TREX 450P Front Landing Skid Mount: 1.56 g
Total: 13.68 g

Overall, there is a 5.68 g difference between the new upgrade and the original stock parts - an insignificant amount of weight increase for a significant increase in strength and the added benefits of the Aluminum frame structure.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you paying fireup any royalties for use of his idea?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

When the first pictures of the prototype TREX 450 Pro were released by Align, I right away saw the opportunity for a battery tray with full support of the LiPo for crash protection and better hard 3D support. I also wanted to improve upon the front area, by allowing the pilot to be able to tuck the wires underneath similar to the TREX 500 design. Kevin (fireup) also saw the opportunity to improve upon the stock battery mount and produced this concept from carbon-fiber as an additional nose-cone design, which is a great idea as well. Due to the time-lines in reaching full production for AL 6061-T6 CNC material, I could not get this to market as fast, so it may appear his idea was "copied".

This is not the case and I support his brand as well (I have his frame supports on my TREX 500), so this is an occurrence where "Great Minds Think Alike". The debate between carbon or aluminum will always be in the RC Helicopter world, so we are both producing upgrades targeted at slightly different markets and personalities. Due to the limitations of the design space in the RC helicopter market, these types of similar upgrade concepts will commonly occur as it already does with other competing brands (such as Kasama, Microheli, etc.).
Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any plan to release the bottom bracket upgrade for the 450 Pro? If you do, any time line?
bsetiawan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegerator View Post
When the first pictures of the prototype TREX 450 Pro were released by Align, I right away saw the opportunity for a battery tray with full support of the LiPo for crash protection and better hard 3D support. I also wanted to improve upon the front area, by allowing the pilot to be able to tuck the wires underneath similar to the TREX 500 design. Kevin (fireup) also saw the opportunity to improve upon the stock battery mount and produced this concept from carbon-fiber as an additional nose-cone design, which is a great idea as well. Due to the time-lines in reaching full production for AL 6061-T6 CNC material, I could not get this to market as fast, so it may appear his idea was "copied".

This is not the case and I support his brand as well (I have his frame supports on my TREX 500), so this is an occurrence where "Great Minds Think Alike". The debate between carbon or aluminum will always be in the RC Helicopter world, so we are both producing upgrades targeted at slightly different markets and personalities. Due to the limitations of the design space in the RC helicopter market, these types of similar upgrade concepts will commonly occur as it already does with other competing brands (such as Kasama, Microheli, etc.).
Fair enough.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegerator View Post

Great answer. Makes me feel good about supporting you guys knowing you're not out to screw the smaller competitors.
"Tarbosaurus" HDX-450 SE v4 flown 96x crashed 7x 2221-8 v2; D202MGs; 2100T+DS290G belt cp 450 fl/cr 35:11x HK-450fl/cr 22:4 e-smart 600 fl/cr 13:1 Lama V4 fl 7 HK-T500 fl/cr 5:1 3026-1210; HS-225MGs DX6i Total flights: 171; crashes: 24 "Accident Free for 1 Flights!" --- www.tarbosaurus.org
nasukaren is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in