Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default IKON 2 BT TELEMETRY WITH HOBBYWING PLATINUM 80A V4 AND SPEKTRUM TX/RX

Thanks to an extremely helpful helifreak on here, I just bought an Ikon 2 BT FBL controller and a HW Platinum 80a V4 esc for my new Goblin 380 build. I've been flying helis for the past 3 years but this will be the first time I'm building my own heli up from scratch. It's about time I learnt what I was doing instead of taking the helis to the LHS to constantly be set up.

I was told that the two would be perfect for real time telemetry feedback as they communicate well with each other and Spektrum systems.

My question, is how to go about setting everything up so my DX7 reads the 2 units? I am using an AR8000 as a RX.

If anyone could go into detail and possibly make this a sticky worthy conversation, that'd be great! I've checked all over YouTube and Google but can't find any related material, especially for the Ikon 2.
mohawk777us is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there,

Spektrum and iKon/Brain telemetry can only be used with the 4649T receiver. This receiver has been noted to have issues above 7.4v so ensure your power system is below that. I am testing the receiver without telemetry on my Oxy 3 just to test reliability. If it works out I will install it on my 380 but I need to upgrade to an 80A v4 as well. Many have said that the 4649T is not reliable enough but seems to work fine on smaller helis which don't require very demanding power systems. Tread with care though. Many are waiting for another Spektrum receiver to be upgraded to use telemetry.

I have to say even without telemetry the iKon has enough features to justify the purchase. The 80A v4 will satisfy even the most demanding motor and will help with weight balance. So your purchase is still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk777us View Post
Thanks to an extremely helpful helifreak on here, I just bought an Ikon 2 BT FBL controller and a HW Platinum 80a V4 esc for my new Goblin 380 build. I've been flying helis for the past 3 years but this will be the first time I'm building my own heli up from scratch. It's about time I learnt what I was doing instead of taking the helis to the LHS to constantly be set up.

I was told that the two would be perfect for real time telemetry feedback as they communicate well with each other and Spektrum systems.

My question, is how to go about setting everything up so my DX7 reads the 2 units? I am using an AR8000 as a RX.

If anyone could go into detail and possibly make this a sticky worthy conversation, that'd be great! I've checked all over YouTube and Google but can't find any related material, especially for the Ikon 2.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Toad! You were the one I was referring to earlier as being extremely helpful!

I did find it strange that the Ikon2/HW v4 series combo is advertised as working in harmony with Spektrum systems while having only ONE Rx that is actually compatible.

Seems very misleading
Old 04-21-2017, 03:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

No misleading here.

It does work with spektrum SRXL bidirectional protocol.

The problem is spektrum doesn't implement their own bidirectional protocol on any of their bigger receivers.

All we did is implement their protocol by their exact specs, so the system is 100% compatible with spektrum telemetry.

regards,

Corrado

p.s. i think you guys should write to spektrum and ask why they don't give us a decent firmware update to use a decent receiver on our helis.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your reply HighFreq

Is there any particular SRXL equipped Rx that MSH used to test the Ikon2's telemetry? Or something that you would personally recommend in a heli setting?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you get a tm1000 too? The LHS should have told you how to use the Ar8000 to broadcast real-time telemetry back to the TX. At that point, you need to read up on how the TM1000 works with the iKon and your ESC and if you need to buy any additional Spektrum sensors. There's a bunch of stuff in this forum and the Spektrum forum.
Agile 5.5, Logo 550sx, X5, Goblin 500, Oxy 3, Trex 450proV2, 250DFC #309
nflanagin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFreq View Post
p.s. i think you guys should write to spektrum and ask why they don't give us a decent firmware update to use a decent receiver on our helis.
Just did. It is really disappointing that Spektrum has the protocol and in theory an ideal RX which shouldn't be used I do hope they will bring the update for the AR6600T and eventually a small footprint RX like the SPM4649T that is reliable enough to be used on larger helis.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default IKON 2 BT TELEMETRY WITH HOBBYWING PLATINUM 80A V4 AND SPEKTRUM TX/RX

maybe a good excuse to switch to a more modern system?
etherbatxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep writing Spektrum, and urge them to give heli's the light of day vs quads.

My 2c.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflanagin View Post
Did you get a tm1000 too? The LHS should have told you how to use the Ar8000 to broadcast real-time telemetry back to the TX. At that point, you need to read up on how the TM1000 works with the iKon and your ESC and if you need to buy any additional Spektrum sensors. There's a bunch of stuff in this forum and the Spektrum forum.
No I just got the ar8000 with a sat. Didn't even think about telemetry until I found out that the new Ikon units had that feature built in

Tags
hobbywing, ikon, telemetry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in