Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum DSMX Satellites in Brain

Hello,
if I connect two DSMX satellites to the Brain, are both of them in contact with the remote control or only one of them and when the signal gets worse the other satellite takes over?
And then I'd have a second question - how many fades per flight are okay? I've had 17 in a small 360-blade-size heli with only one Sat connected.
Thanks,
Philipp
phailipp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anything more than 100 is cause for real concern. Anything below 50 is fine and anything below 25 is great. Both SATs receive signal from transmitter and both are sent to brain. SATs do not send anything to brain if the are locked out/not receiving any signal (this is by SAT design). Rest assured brain will use what ever sat is sending Rx Frames. We are not talking AM or FM here so SATs either receive something or they don't. No such thing as weaker here as SATs do not guess at what they thought they received.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Running two sats all the time is better. Probably the most important thing is to place the antenna as far away from any metal or carbon fiber as possible. I have IKON 2s on a Goblin 420 and Compass eXo, both usually record ZERO fades. I fly more sport/lite 3D and stay a reasonable distance away. Another pilot also has ZERO fades. But we are out in a wide open area with very low 2..4GHz RF background noise.
rc18 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Two sats is best - particularly on larger machines that get farther away. Having said that I run one on my 400.

I may be who RC18 is talking about as we fly at the same field. I run two sats on my scale models and often fly much farther out than the 3Ders. I sometimes see one or two fades but that's it.

Jim Davey
Old 02-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey View Post
Two sats is best - particularly on larger machines that get farther away. Having said that I run one on my 400.

I may be who RC18 is talking about as we fly at the same field. I run two sats on my scale models and often fly much farther out than the 3Ders. I sometimes see one or two fades but that's it.

Jim Davey
I run an AR8010T on my Trex 700N: 1 internal + 3 sats (4 RX total)
I've only recently started monitoring the fades on any of my Spektrum stuff via telemetry so I can see them accumulate on the DX9's screen.
It is interesting.

The last flight on the T700N showed between 45 & 55 fades on all 4 sats (7 min flight and I cover the WHOLE field).
I've been told that as long as they are all in the same ballpark, you don't have to worry about anything.
If one is way off from the others, then you should be concerned

And, if you get Frame Losses or a real Hold, you could be headed for real trouble.

I use the SPM4649T on my G380 nd Trex 600E Pro w/ Brain 2 (for the real time telemetry) and I am seeing 5 to 10 fades per flight. But, that does not use sats - it is a dual diversity internal RX.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hmm, I have got one big heli with more than 150 Fades on both Sats plugged into the Brain. I didn't notice it during the flight. Do you think a receiver with two Sats is the better option here?
phailipp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd say just go out and fly and forget about fades. I use 2 sats on my Goblin 700C, no issues at all, never. Got one installed on the left side frame with wires pointing vertically (the left antenna, and I mean the actual sat antenna, points down, below the carbon frame). The other sat is sticked underneath the tail boom where it exits the frame, antennae pointing horizontally. I wouldn't even bother to set telemetry to check fades and frame losses, I am sure they are there but since my setup is proven and tested in hundreds of flights I fully trust it. Seeing fades or hearing some alarms would only make me loose more time chasing ghosts, thus spending less time flying and also less time with my family. Just throw 2 healthy dsmx sats on it, be sure wires are healthy too and put some drops of hot glue where wires enter their connector. Bind the thing and go fly.
One full rx+more than one sat is definitely an overkill.
Alexatu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in