Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 270CFX

270CFX Blade 270CFX Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbremer View Post

For intermediate pilots set the castle governor RPM's to Normal 3000, Stunt 1 3200 and Stunt 2 3400. Going down to a 10 pinion with those head speeds will extend flight time as well. The model is still very capable and a great flying model with the reduced head speed.

Would this be done by using the Castle Link software?

If you personally feel the model is too fast on the cyclic simply reduce the ail/ele dual rates to meet your preferences. Expo can be used if you like.

Is this done by basically turning the pots on the AR7210BX?

Best Regards,
Brian Bremer
Senior Project Engineer
Horizon Hobby, LLC
Bolded a few questions related to your post
TurboMatt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Matt,
you set your dual rates in the radio. Your spektrum radio may have an option marked D/R and Expo under the model.
You can do this with any heli. Dropping the dual rates down to something low like 65% on elevator and Aileron can really tame a heli until you get used to how responsive it is.

Be careful if your radio has a 2 or 3 position switch for dual rates that you don't flip into a higher rate before you are ready. It could catch you out.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 10:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I completely read over the D/R statement he posted. I was thinking along the links of softening up all of the cyclic response. I know how to do this via an Ikon. I do not know the best way to do this with the BeastX on the 270. Seems that one would turn Dial 1 counter clockwise to soften up the cyclic response?
Old 05-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

And yes, to change pinion and headspeed it is best to get in through the castlelink and make changes to the ESC settings. Pretty simple to do.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a castle link that I used to program a Edge 90 a few years ago. Anyone know if that same one will work for the 270?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Matt, I don't own a castle link. But it will work. Your best bet is to just try it.

Anyone want to sell me one of their extra castle links?
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My castle link is 12 years old and still works fine.

You can go down to the 10t pinion on the lower head speed to increase efficiency. This is one of those things you simply have to try and see what works best for you.

A few flights on the larger pinion won't hurt anything, just avoid loading the motor up the entire flight.

Best Regards,
Brian Bremer
Horizon Hobby, LLC
brianbremer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbremer View Post
My castle link is 12 years old and still works fine.

You can go down to the 10t pinion on the lower head speed to increase efficiency. This is one of those things you simply have to try and see what works best for you.

A few flights on the larger pinion won't hurt anything, just avoid loading the motor up the entire flight.

Best Regards,
Brian Bremer
Horizon Hobby, LLC
Wouldn't the castle need a new gear ratio if changing the pinion? If so, what ratio should keyed in?

I don't see a 10 tooth pinion listed under the 270 CFX parts list. Part number?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMatt View Post
I completely read over the D/R statement he posted. I was thinking along the links of softening up all of the cyclic response. I know how to do this via an Ikon. I do not know the best way to do this with the BeastX on the 270. Seems that one would turn Dial 1 counter clockwise to soften up the cyclic response?
Cyclic response on the AR7210BX/BeastX is done through Parameter value G. Page 41 of the manual:

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/...-Manual-EN.pdf
Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
Cyclic response on the AR7210BX/BeastX is done through Parameter value G. Page 41 of the manual:

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/...-Manual-EN.pdf
I'm not so sure we can trust the factory manual for the AR7210 with the 270 firmware on it.

I went through the available menus today. Menu L was solid blue. In the factory manual for the AR7210BX, this shows that it should be training mode. It is definitely no training mode. As soon as I select the SAFE switch, the heli levels out and climbs straight up, acting just like bail-out should, not training mode.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm not so sure we can trust the factory manual for the AR7210 with the 270 firmware on it.

I went through the available menus today. Menu L was solid blue. In the factory manual for the AR7210BX, this shows that it should be training mode. It is definitely no training mode. As soon as I select the SAFE switch, the heli levels out and climbs straight up, acting just like bail-out should, not training mode.
The parameters are no different functionally between Horizon's version of the firmware and the stock firmware. IIRC, Parameter G is accessible on the 270's firmware. Note this is not Setup Parameter G discussed on page 14.

Cyclic response on any BeastX is managed through this parameter, no matter the firmware version.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's good to know. Now we need to figure out why the blue LED in SAFE operation does not equate to Trainer Mode. I wonder if HH removed that option and only allow for Panic/Bail-Out only.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
That's good to know. Now we need to figure out why the blue LED in SAFE operation does not equate to Trainer Mode. I wonder if HH removed that option and only allow for Panic/Bail-Out only.
The firmware only allows for one specific SAFE mode. No others are supported. This is discussed elsewhere in the forum.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
The firmware only allows for one specific SAFE mode. No others are supported. This is discussed elsewhere in the forum.
Ok, I can understand that. I wonder why the LED color changes when moving the rudder stuck in menu L?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wouldn't the castle need a new gear ratio if changing the pinion? If so, what ratio should keyed in?

Thanks!
Connect to the castlelink and open the program. You will see desired headspeed. Click on that and it gives you change options for main gear and pinion tooth count. If you enter that correctly it will figure and use the new gear ratio.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

The current sales price of $299 for this fantastic heli all set up ready to go with an AR7010BX was too good to pass up, so I bought a second one together with a few crash spare parts. I think I might have got the last one from AMain Hobbies.

I would buy from Horizon direct in the US as they now ship to Australia, but shipping on a box this size from HH is always over US$100, whereas AMain charged me $9.99, for the heli and $1.99 shipping for all my (separate purchase of) spares.
A few expensive items I put in my cart at HH were actually cheaper than their shipping costs. Suffice it to say they didn't make it to the check-out page.
C'mon HH please look at using standard US Postal Service its great and its cheap!
Back on track, I'm so glad I discovered this heli as it wasn't ever offered in Australia by any local hobby shops, at least none that I was aware of. I think its the best flying heli under a 450 size I've ever come across, in fact I think it flies better than a few 450's I've owned over the years

Cheers,
Phil

Lots of things that fly and crash!
FlyingFiz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

With the sale in May, I purchased a 270 CFX & a 250 CFX. When they are delivered, its stick time. Moving on up in the helicopter learning scale. This will probably put the two 230s's back on the shelf like they did the 200 SRX.
FloridaAKM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, I missed your questions.

The 10t helical pinon is BLH1902

Once you change to the 10t pinion change the gear ratio in castle link to; 13.5 (135/10)

Best Regards,
Brian Bremer
Horizon Hobby, LLC

Quote:

Thanks!
brianbremer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Brian - another data-point in terms of reliability. I've now had my second tail-belt tensioner failure involving one of the rollers wobbling side to side. What's annoying is that the second failure occurred after only 30 flights. I have three 270s and the belt tension on the one that failed again is very similar to the tension on another 270 still in the box.

The rollers should also be secured by a lower bearing to spread the tension load, similar to what is done on the Oxy 3.

Also, I just noticed on the Horizon web-site that the landing skid for the 270 has been discontinued. Is this really true? Not sure how the 270 can still be supported, but landing skid not available. Part number BLH4520, identical to the one used on the 300 CFX.

Last edited by OrbitalGolem; 06-05-2017 at 11:22 AM..
OrbitalGolem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

You are far better off with the Align 500 skid zip tied to the frame. You won't need to order another, and no more tip overs... www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=783362

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in