Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Blade 400 tail creep

Hi,
I have been flying my Blade 400 for about a year now with no real problems until recently.

For some reason the the tail has started creeping, when I first spool up the heli on a fully charged battery, the tail holds fine, however after about 1.5 to 2 minutes the nose of the heli starts to creep right (as you look at it hovering tail in). So I trim it out but then it creeps right again, more trim added, then more creeping right etc.

When I put rudder inputs while hovering the gyro seems to behave correctly (ie it will pirouette and stop the tail with no bounce) but in hover it will always creep.

The only thing I can think of is that it may be due to head speed dropping through weak batteries but I thought HH gyros worked with a range of head speeds so assume this is not the case.

For info, it is the stock gyro and tail servo and the gyro is in HH mode at 69% gain.

Other than that the heli still flies really well, any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Eflite Blade MSR
DX6i
yipper07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

ive heard that other people have had the gyro crap out at about flight 60-70, could possibly be its on the way out, maybe try another servo to confirm?
nice,whatdoesitdo? is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

mine used to do that all the time, try recentering your tail in rate mode, first check to make sure your boom hasn't slid out, throwing your servo off center, if that doesnt work, get a new gyro.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you've suffered with the stock gyro this long I'm amazed, and you will be truly amazed by the performance upgrade of a Futaba GY401 or better yet a GY 520. Usually the POS stock 110 doesn't last this long!
If you think that the gyro is OK, try checking the tail over real good. On a decent gyro drift is an indication that the rate setting is too low. Drift can also be caused by bad tail bearings, friction of the belt drive system, worn tail rotor shaft or tail blade grips, etc., but mostly by a bad gyro.
Hope this leads to a resolution of your problem!
AR 7000, DS610's cyclic, Quark gyro & DS620 on tail
Capt.Chip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I will check the things mentioned and report back on if they resolved it or not.
If it doesn't then I guess I am buying a new gyro. Does anyone know of a budget gyro and tail servo combination that works well. I would like the GY401 but at the moment I can't justify the cost?
Thanks
Eflite Blade MSR
DX6i
yipper07 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would take your tail linkage apart and look for some worn parts considering that you have some time on it. I had this issue and I took my slider apart, lubed it up real well and then totally re rigged my tail from the servo back and it cured the drift. I upgraded to the Blue Anodized Eflite tail blade grips ($12 bucks) which have far less slop in them and that tightened my tail up quite a bit too. Keep your eye on the used Electronics section on here. 401's pop up all the time. I bought mine and a good tail servo for $75 shipped. The 401 made my bird fly so much better I had to relearn to fly it only this time it only took about 1 day instead of weeks and weeks. Not having to fly the tail all the time makes it so much easier to progress with everything else.
Align 700N LE BeastX
Avidflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in