The Oblivion 300+ - a microheli project - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #41 (permalink)
The Airetic

Well done! This is very impressive for sure. Subscribed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dremel View Post
I was going to suggest mabe to incorporate some kind of carbon fiber backbone into the frame for lateral support, but when I see the freakin 3D printed swashplate there seems to be no problem with stiffness.

Have you guys made some build pics by chance? Would love to see the naked frame in a pic.

Another question: Is it possible to stack the smaller parts of the heli into the frame openings for printing? Could save a few bucks when printed as one part, at least thats the offer on https://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk/portfolio/pricing/.
I agree, its a great set of parts but it would be cool if this could all be printed at once, would also make it easier to produce for friends
aperseghin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperseghin View Post
I agree, its a great set of parts but it would be cool if this could all be printed at once, would also make it easier to produce for friends
Did you look at how SLS printing was done?

They spread powder out laze a layer and spread more powder.

This means they can print as many parts as they have horizontal space for on their machine and there is no reason for any of it to be interconnected.
mkovalcson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dremel View Post
[...]Have you guys made some build pics by chance? Would love to see the naked frame in a pic.

Another question: Is it possible to stack the smaller parts of the heli into the frame openings for printing? Could save a few bucks when printed as one part, at least thats the offer on https://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk/portfolio/pricing/.
Chris built the prototype I'm flying, so I don't have pics. We're planning to make a build video series anyway. Otherwise you can just download the STL file and look at it, that's a naked frame as well

About putting all the parts into one file.. We can not say wether or not rotating the parts will impact stiffness or manufacturing in any way, we relied on the SLS service to come up with the best positioning of each part individually. But feel free to try it out (using Blender or the software of your trust).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertico View Post
Curious, where is the main shaft sourced from?
I see it in the list of parts needed but it does not specify
The main shaft is 4mm spring steel, holes need to be drilled. Plans are coming soon.

And @KX: Thanks!
1:44.533 on Mount Wario.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few pictures including "reference" for size

I am building those two birds atm..

criz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you Johnny, Im not that proficient in 3D programs (I just do 2D lol), but Ill look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
Did you look at how SLS printing was done?

They spread powder out laze a layer and spread more powder.

This means they can print as many parts as they have horizontal space for on their machine and there is no reason for any of it to be interconnected.
Aside from pure convenience there is no technical reason, but pricing makes a difference (from the above link https://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk).

Edit: Thanks criz!!! Looking fabolous! How is the frame when you have it in your hand? Can you "twist" it much?
Old 06-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Comparable to an old original t-rex450 plastic chassis, but a lot lighter (34gr). Just that it only has to deal with forces from a 300+ size helicopter. It is the third iteration of chassis, and i added a few enforcements here and there, until i was satisfied with the result.

Cheers
criz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Having a fully built heli here, I can say that both flex and twist rigidity is pretty good. You can push it out of shape if you really want to though. Should really help absorbing crashing forces
Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by criz View Post
Hi folks,

thanks for the warm words

To clarify a few aspects here: It is not 3D printed, but manufactured via selective laser sintering. Since Shapeways (anyone knows any other services here?) this has become accessible to the public. Plus it is pretty light. The entire chassis weights 34 gramm.
SLS is a type of 3D printing.
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 12:35 AM   #50 (permalink)
Suspended User

Something like this is exactly what I've been waiting for. A simple, rugged, relatively inexpensive awesome flying heli (from the videos) that's very small, but still bigger than a micro like the 180CFX. This heli looks great with what appears to potentially be a very low parts count when finished. The design looks like it would be very reliable and that's a huge plus. Just about number one in my book because if a heli isn't mechanically reliable, I don't want it in my hangar no matter how well it flies when it works.
WedgeD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

The next heli I will build will be based on these SLS files!
dedados is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep in mind I am in no way affiliated with this project....

I noticed the Paypal donation box on their website was still in Sandbox mode which they have now corrected.

If you think this project is great I would recommend donating to these guys. I'm sure a lot of time and effort went into designing this and I am sure they would appreciate the support:

http://www.oblivion-heli.com/index.php/getting-started/
(See bottom of page)

Lynx Heli Innovations Team Pilot
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #53 (permalink)
Banned

the hub looks rigid, and what is the length of the main shaft and distance between holes?

The more I look at the chassis pics the more I see the design aspects. If you look at it side and lateral flex should be no problem and there's enough material between the tail block and main shaft.

Any material? cf preg epoxy? probably considering, here's something that'l grab attention CERAMIC.
Icanfly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #54 (permalink)
The Airetic

I'm very intrigued by this design. I actually like it a lot. The low weight and simplicity has got to be hard to beat. I do have one major concern though.

The lack of modularity in the frame concerns me quite a bit. It looks great for the non-crasher. For the regular crasher that may be a different story.

The frame set here is a single piece that makes up the side panels, motor mount, all of the center pierces (bearing blocks and bottom plates), and the book block. On pretty much every other heli those peices are a seperate.

If you crash this thing and any one of those "seperate" parts would have broken, you are now on the hook for an entire new frame, which was mentioned to cost $50.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Icanfly, as I already mentioned, the whole frame flexes quite a bit if you apply enough force. Can't upset the gear mesh and tailboom - main gear alignment though, we should be fine here!

Same aspect goes for KX, I expect the frame to hold up VERY well in a crash. The flex might convert/reflect a lot of that cinetic energy put into it and the enclosed design will protect most of the components. Plus we have a set of beefy yet flexible skids right below the frame. Just checked them on shapeways, if they break (what is more likely as far as I see), that's very affordable $8.65

Sadly, all I can make are assumptions. We'll need someone to find out about that eventually, that's probably not gonna be me though. As long as this heli doesn't come apart mid-air or something smokes down, it will most likely not be crashed while I'm flying it!
Old 06-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

@KiloXray: Valid point, although the low weight and HS should help with the crashability, except you pile it in heavily. But even an airframe with the usual CF plate construction wouldnt fare well in this scenario.

Hard to judge without the frame in hand and I agree, the slightest damage to the frame (broken servo tab for instance) would mean a new piece. Maybe at least the AR bracket could be a bolt on affair?
Old 06-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
Icanfly, as I already mentioned, the whole frame flexes quite a bit if you apply enough force. Can't upset the gear mesh and tailboom - main gear alignment though, we should be fine here!
Thats what I was concerned about. In my Gaui "X1" the torque of the motor flexed the frame so much that the motor would bind against the main gear, ripping off the front half of the frame. Good to hear that this critical area is safe.

I also like it that you used 3 bearings for the main shaft. How was the alignment of the bearings? Can the main shaft fall through all 3 bearings without much resistance? Thats the critical part of the Mini Protos build and challenges me everytime I have to tear it down.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I volunteer to build one and crash it.

Lynx Heli Innovations Team Pilot
vertico is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Pretty cool! I may bight... but I'll keep following for now. I've been kicking around the idea of building a small heli to throw around and this is perfect.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertico View Post
I volunteer to build one and crash it.
Thank you! Shoot an ultra slow motion video!

Tags
oblivion 300, oblivion 300+, oblivion heli

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.