Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Phoenix Setup FAQ

Since we seem to get a lot of the same questions over and over, I thought it would be a good idea to start a FAQ thread. I was frankly surprised one hadn't been started already. It would be really nice if this was made a stickie (hint hint, mods). As you come across other FAQs, please add them. I'll start:

Q: I have a computer radio (DX7, X9303, etc.). How do I set up the throttle and pitch curves and get the idle-up and throttle hold switches to work?

A: The best way to do this is to set up the simulated heli "mechanically" and then set all the curves and other functions in the radio like you would the real thing. But first, set up a new model in the radio and change the swash type to turn off CCPM mixing (e.g. "1 SERVO" on the DX7). A quick way to get a model that's almost ready to go is to copy one of your real heli models to a new model and then change the swash type. If you choose to set it up from scratch, along with changing the swash type, make sure you enable throttle hold.

Now you can go to work on the sim model. Try to select a "3D" or "intermediate" variant of the model because a lot of the setup will already be done for you. The following are the important things to make sure are set up in the sim (not in the radio):
  • The throttle, pitch, aileron, and elevator curves should be set up to be linear and expos should be turned off:
    System>Your controls, click on your TX, click on Edit, and click on the button in the Curve column
  • The idle-up and throttle hold functions should be turned off and remain off:
    System>Your controls, click on your TX, click on Edit, and select "Unmapped" in the Input column next to Throttle Hold and Idle Up
  • The collective pitch range should be set up to be symmetrical around zero pitch and to suited to your tastes (e.g. +11 and -11):
    Model>Edit, click on Detailed if running Phoenix 3, click on Main Rotor, and edit the Minimum pitch, Mid pitch (set to 0.0), and Maximum pitch
  • Optionally, if you want to use the throttle curves with no governing, turn off the governor:
    Uncheck the "Rotor governor enabled" option. Location of option:
    Phoenix 2.x: Model>Edit, click on Main Rotor.
    Phoenix 3: Model>Edit, click on Detailed, open the Rotor governor menu.
Once the curves and throttle hold are set up in your radio, you'll find that the throttle hold and idle-up switches perform the desired action. Expo and dual rates set in the radio will work as expected too.

You may need to tweak the physics settings in the sim to adjust cyclic response due to the lack of swash mixing in the radio to accomplish that:
Adjust the Frontal cyclic response and Lateral cyclic response values. Location of settings:
Phoenix 2.x: Model>Edit, click on Main Rotor
Phoenix 3: Model>Edit, click on Detailed, open Flybar menu.
If you see strangeness with regard to pitch or throttle response, i.e. that they don't appear to follow the curves in your radio, try turning off the build-in throttle curves for the model you're flying:
Uncheck the "Use pre-built throttle curve" option. Location of option:
Phoenix 2.x: Model>Edit, click on Physical.
Phoenix 3: Model>Edit, click on Detailed, open Options menu.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.

Last edited by TheBum; 04-08-2011 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Updated for location of settings in Phoenix 3
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Old 01-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks! This is exactly what i came here looking for.

subscribing since my question was exactly what the menu locations for TC/PC are.
tonkajeep34 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This did not work for me. I think I did everything you said, but my throttle and pitch still seem to be constantly be in normal mode, so when I idle up, I get full pitch. When I'm flying and I hit the throttle hold, the throttle goes to 0 and the pitch to full negative.

Any suggestions?

David
HD Cell 500 w/ Ikon, Blade 130x, Citizen #258.
minnzoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well put together. Thanks for sharing this.
heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am still having trouble with this. I went back over everything and I still get full pitch when I go to idle up. It seems like Phoenix only looks at my throttle, so if it only sees my throttle, it's always going to give it full pitch with full throttle because it thinks it's in normal mode. I'm really missing something here, and it's haunting me. I get the feeling what I'm missing is really simple. HELP!

David
Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnzoo View Post
I get the feeling what I'm missing is really simple. HELP!
What radio are you using ?

Bob
Bayward is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Have you calibrated the transmitter in the sim?
Graupner MZ-32

Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayward View Post
What radio are you using ?

Bob
DX7
Old 01-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Have you calibrated the transmitter in the sim?
Yes
Old 01-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I am still having trouble with this. I went back over everything and I still get full pitch when I go to idle up. It seems like Phoenix only looks at my throttle, so if it only sees my throttle, it's always going to give it full pitch with full throttle because it thinks it's in normal mode. I'm really missing something here, and it's haunting me. I get the feeling what I'm missing is really simple. HELP!

David
Your suppose to get full positive pitch when you go to Idle up. If you click model-edit-main rotor- look at the minimum,mid and maximum pitch settings. For 3D you want something like -11 min 0 at mid +11 at maximum. In the radio for your Idle 1 and 2 set the throttle curve to 100 at 0 stick 80 at mid stick and 100 at full up stick.

I think he's close Alan because his throttle hold and idle up are working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzoo
When I'm flying and I hit the throttle hold, the throttle goes to 0 and the pitch to full negative.
Actually it doesn't go to full negative, but this is what you want. It's so you can pick up speed in an auto. If you tried to auto with like a -2 you will not get enough speed up to auto. You can try this when you get the setting set up from above. Or click on a scale model and you'll see what I'm saying.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, you know what. I have not calibrated my radio since I made all those changes. I'll do that and see what heppens.

I'll report back.

Thanks,

David
Old 01-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[QUOTE=vermonster;1773086]Your suppose to get full positive pitch when you go to Idle up. If you click model-edit-main rotor- look at the minimum,mid and maximum pitch settings. For 3D you want something like -11 min 0 at mid +11 at maximum. In the radio for your Idle 1 and 2 set the throttle curve to 100 at 0 stick 80 at mid stick and 100 at full up stick.

When I go to idle up, I get full positive pitch and full throttle at zero stick. So I'm sitting on the ground in normal mode at zero stick. I hit idle up and it takes off.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I know it can be frustrating, but once you learn it you won't have a problem with any transmitter.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

When I go to idle up, I get full positive pitch and full throttle at zero stick. So I'm sitting on the ground in normal mode at zero stick. I hit idle up and it takes off.
Ok recalibrate and make sure your swash is single servo.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got it. Here's the pieces that I was missing:

I had to recalibrate after going to single servo gyro mode, but that's not it. The first time I recalibrated it still did not work for the following reason: I was recalibrating in normal mode. Well, I have my radio programmed with a throttle curve in normal node so it was not seeing the entire travel of channel 1 when I recalibrated. What I did to fix this was go into ST2 and reprogram my throttle curve to straight line 1 to 100. Now it could see the entire travel of channel 1. Of couse my pitch curve was already straight line in ST2. So I now calibrated in ST2 and fly in normal and ST1.

I also had to edit my radio and reassign pitch to channel 6.

After that, it worked. Thanks soooo much you guys for all your help. Especially Alan for his handy dandy setup guide.

Now I'm gonna go fly. I already got 1 flight in today. Beautiful and 45 here in PA. I'll get my Atom time in today and now I have my Phoenix all ready for the rain tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!

David
Old 01-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
HF Support

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Q: I'm using a radio with a real heli that doesn't do CCPM mixing and doesn't have more than one model (e.g. Spektrum DX5E, E-Flite LP5DSM2). When I try to use it in Phoenix, some of my controls are reversed. How do I fix it so that I don't have to keep reversing the channels in the radio when going back and forth between the real thing and the sim?

A: Use the channel reversing feature in the sim.
System>Your controls, click on your TX, click on Edit, and click on the button in the Invert column for each channel that's reserved.
Each click of that button will reverse the previous setting, i.e. if reversing is on and the button is pressed, reversing will be turned off and vice versa.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 01-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Graphics tip

Seem's like this should be listed here.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=157126
docklink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm having trouble trying to auto in. I have to switch to normal thro pos.at zero stick then switch t-hold. then I can auto in. I can't just flip the t-hold and auto in. I really new to helis and I'm using a X9303. On the ground the t-hold works just fine, I give it collective and it moves the blades. I could auto in just fine with RF. I did mention I'm an extreme noobie, and this is probably a stupid question.
$teve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got my Phoenix a couple of weeks ago and couldn't seem to get the hang of setup.

Slowed the simulation down and now my heli in the sim flys just like my real one in the field.

My Tx never worked right for the THR Hold or the curves. Took the advice of the OP, and now the Tx works almost like being there! Sorry, I don't have tips of my own.

Thanks, Bum!
oldeflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in