Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > Main Forum - Multirotor Talk

Main Forum - Multirotor Talk General Multirotor Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Well, I could not resist

Yes, call me a sinner but its really awesome experience doing FPV with my new mavic pro, and of course being a heli pilot flying this mavic is as you say "a walk in the park" Some time ago I was tempted to buy this drone (mavic) Im sorry if this is not the place to coment about this experience but trust me its a very nice feeling flying fpv with this drone using your vr googles. I just wanted to share.
quebuenman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

One of these days I'll mount my FPV equipment onto my heli. It should work just as well to be honest. I wouldn't want to land FPV though.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Or crash... I think the point about small quads is that they're much cheaper and less dangerous to crash.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got an Inductrix FPV and the headset monitor combo for Christmas. Been having fun flying around the house.

I need to try it outdoors but I'm trying to be legal so I need the HAM license.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm3313 View Post
I got an Inductrix FPV and the headset monitor combo for Christmas. Been having fun flying around the house.

I need to try it outdoors but I'm trying to be legal so I need the HAM license.
The inductrix does not do well with ANY wind. But yeah, fun in the house
Old 05-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

What kind of license need to fly fpv in the usa?
quebuenman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Depends. If you are just doing it for fun then a FAA registration is all of $5. Also, I think if your VTX is over 25mw you by law you need a Amateur Radio License. I could be wrong about the output power but it's somewhere close to that.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtroutt19 View Post
Depends. If you are just doing it for fun then a FAA registration is all of $5. Also, I think if your VTX is over 25mw you by law you need a Amateur Radio License. I could be wrong about the output power but it's somewhere close to that.
I'd like to know this, too. I've researched it and also found that anything over 10mW in the US needs a HAM license. I just finished up a quad with a 350mW VTX and I don't have a HAM license. Oh well... I do have an FCC general radio operator's license for full scale aviation that uses transmitters of much, much higher power, so I hope that covers me. Probably not because of the video versus voice radio only.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just checked on this and having your GROL does not convey the authority to operate an amateur radio station. I just did a quick google search. You have to broadcast your callsign in your video feed though. the minimosd has a way to do this I am not sure how other OSD's do it cause all i use is the minimosd

My idea here is this though. If You are close to a populated area and are using a 5watt VTX i would have my ARL, But if you live in a rural area and not alot is around and you are just using up to 500mw I dont think you are gonna cause any problems. That being said I am not saying dont get the license, because it is actually quite cheap. The test where I live at cost $15 bucks. But I think you would be safe in that situation to use it in lieu of taking the test and getting the license.

To be honest I did and I run a 600mw transmitter. Never had any issue's
Old 05-10-2017, 04:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

To be honest I did and I run a 600mw transmitter. Never had any issue's
This is true and I got 600mw on all of my drones too. In austria 25mw is the max allowed but I wouldn't know of any official that would know of this or give you a fine for that.

It is however problematic if you wanna race with others. People will not like you using 600mw. These "burners" tend to cause interference over a wide frequency band resulting in channels other than the selected getting unusable.
Around here people race 25mw out of respect for the others. Range is no issue for racing. For a camera drone I'd allways go 600mw though.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just checked on this and having your GROL does not convey the authority to operate an amateur radio station. I just did a quick google search. You have to broadcast your callsign in your video feed though. the minimosd has a way to do this I am not sure how other OSD's do it cause all i use is the minimosd
I have to broadcast some randomly assigned HAM callsign? I want to broadcast my cool racerboyzzz handle! LOL

Seriously, how do the pro racers do it with their nicknames versus a HAM callsign? My OSDs only have a way to enter one name.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoemse View Post
This is true and I got 600mw on all of my drones too. In austria 25mw is the max allowed but I wouldn't know of any official that would know of this or give you a fine for that.

It is however problematic if you wanna race with others. People will not like you using 600mw. These "burners" tend to cause interference over a wide frequency band resulting in channels other than the selected getting unusable.
Around here people race 25mw out of respect for the others. Range is no issue for racing. For a camera drone I'd allways go 600mw though.
Just get a VTX that has selectable power output.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in