Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Large Scale Projects 790+

Large Scale Projects 790+ Large Scale Projects 790+ Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #221 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi Steve,
you have a lot of birds from haunting . Your helicopter is looking good there
I see low level of orange peel in your blue paint looks good. I must buff out some of my orange peel to reduce it a little on my bird.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #222 (permalink)
Registered Users

Steve,don't think a small level of peel is a problem, looks real as the full size sure have some and more, most after some use are very rough around the edges.
All my paintjobs when over rivet and panel detail have a bit of peel somewhere as you really can't buff it out to well, the flat glass fuz ones with no details are easy to get a glass like finish.
Even the best painters in the world use polishing compounds to shine and get rid of holograms in the reflections in the clercoat.
Me, i'm happy if it looks ok from a couple of feet away

Henseleit TDR, Minicopter. Mikado. Jeti Carbon Red DS16. Plus scale stuff
satsuma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #223 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

This one came out to glossy and smooth

On g-rapd, i purposely did 2 coats of clear instead of three and let it shrink in, not put orange peel on the clear, like this

can see it on the right top in the flash reflection

but it carries the gloss fine. i like em both, but g-rapd looks more realistic in paint and scale modeling

Got a new windshield to drop in it, then there both going to scale masters for sale.

If i had to make a wild guess, i'd say i've probably sprayed 1,000's of gallons of clear, if not 10's of thousands. went 10 years, sprayed everyday, was all i did at a place that turned over millions in revenue a year worth of custom paint. never sprayed many cars, never did auto body/auto paint

After painting these models the last 2 years straight, i've come to realize when i gloss out a heli, it photographs like crap in the sky because of so much reflection as well as the brightness of the color get's washed out by the glare, when they shrink in like i did grapd, they really hold there color at a distance, like night and day

this is a good example

see the glare the smoother blue and silver one makes

The easier way than buffing is color sand and reclear. everything but the g-rapd have more than one clear coat on em. problem is you'll loose all the rivet glare cause they won't be raised anymore, they get burried in the clear. That was my draw to the glue in rivets, so could still get the texture even after making it look like a harley fender
helipainter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #224 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats what i was meaning, i like the finish like the G-RAPD, thats how i like my scale models painted , think a very realistic finish indeed.

Henseleit TDR, Minicopter. Mikado. Jeti Carbon Red DS16. Plus scale stuff
satsuma is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #225 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It takes patience and experience to find the right combo that makes them stand out as looking realistic.What looks cool at the car show is a different deal than what looks good at SEMA vs what looks realistic when you start talking miniaturizing something, the attempt to miniaturize the paint finish is a difficult task since there all atomized paint droplets on a microscopic level flowing together to make what we know as orange peel. Air pressure, fluid flow, thickness of the material all have a huge influence. If you want the paint to shrink in, over reduce it, just be careful with runs..... even just adding a little more reducer on the final coat is enough to piss it off and get it to suck in a little.

G-RAPD looks red past 200 yards, G-JIVE looks like a glare with a rotor at 100 yards, no blue is noticeable, but the glare is
helipainter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #226 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by helipainter View Post
Gives me a reason to paint and make money than dick with a heli i'll kill if i try to bust my ass to make the show, just got that sinking feeling. There is always next year
I'll tell you, that sounds like very prudent advice from your self
Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #227 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just saw this topic...nice build. Is it flying these days?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in