Yet another Bump Case build - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Yet another Bump Case build

Work had me pretty occupied most nights, but I finally made some progress. I *hate* building things, so by the time I got the point that it turned on, I was absolutely sick of this damned thing. Unless something breaks or becomes more irritating than I expect, this will be used as is for the time being.

Maybe someone can get some inspiration from how I put this together, or perhaps someone can see how not to do things. Either way, enjoy the cell phone pictures.

This is a longish writeup, so here's the final functional product for you TL;DR folks:

Blank deck from Progressive RC (in the end it was cheaper than sourcing ABS locally, as well as cutting it to the weird shape that is the Seahorse 720 Case deck:

Trying to plot out locations and fans. The idea was to create negative airpressure inside the case, and so I ended up using three SuperMicro 0099L4 fans, as well as a 12V PWM temperature sensitive fan controller :

Taped over the deck to draw out lines and begin the painstaking cuts with a handheld drill and a handheld coping saw:

Think 3 fans could work just fine:

Starting to take shape:

Decided that 70% the area of the output ports should be enough to maintain negative air pressure in the case. So for three 80mm diameter exhaust ports, this works out to something like four 56mm intake ports. I ended up rounding up a little to make use of future 60mm fan grills.

Internal PSU work is something that I've been using for a few months now. Four DPS1200 in series with the low PSU grounded, and the upper three floated. I have not yet died. So it must be okay. Right? Right!

Each channel on the DPL8 sees the full 48V. This has been flipped to ensure that the cold intake air entering the case does not mix with the hot exhaust air exiting the case at the top. The foam has been cut to ensure that they remain separate, and they are held in place by 3M double sided tape.

The PSUs and the DPL8 is held in place by a metric shit-ton of velcro. (this is a legitimate scientific unit of measure).

The three fans are connected using extension cables I made out of those ancient IDE cables we used to connect to hard disks, before all the new fancy SSDs with SATA cables. I put ferrite chokes on lots of things because the Bump Controller appears to be very sensitive to noise. It would constantly disconnect channels, or trigger touch screen events. Hopefully the chokes solve this.

I used the same wire mesh material as the desk organizer product line that you can find at any Staples or Office Depot. The idea is that the mesh should be thin enough to allow unhindered airflow, while strong enough to prevent dropped batteries from breaking or cracking anything. 60mm Black Metal Fan Grills have been ordered, but they will be installed later...if I can ever muster up the energy to open this damned thing up again.

On the topic of wiring gauge, power, and capacity, here's the situation. The DPL8 is a monster charger capable of huge power outputs. The four DPS1200 power supplies are more than capable of delivering this huge power (and more) to the DPL8. The power outlets in my house are NOT, neither is my tiny Yamaha 2000 watt generator. Not only will maxing out this case trip breakers in my home, I have repeatedly over-amped my 2000watt generator at the field.

What this means is that the limitations imposed on this setup by only having two C14 connectors for input, and a single switch rated for 20A@125VAC will not have any impact whatsoever on my charging. Nothing I have is capable of conveniently supplying enough power to this case to max out the DPL8 without tripping breakers or catching something on fire.

Almost there:

Everything mounted on the deck, just waiting to be wired in.

Everything wired, screwed in, connected and running. Nothing exploded. Nothing melted. I think it is okay.

Also, I just upgraded the Bump Controller firmware to 1.41. It works just fine. Looking forward to the bluetooth software, and all the other cool things that the Revolectrix team has planned.

Another also: The fans I used were absolutely overkill. Stupefyingly so. When I turn this on, with only 2 fans running at a moderate speed, and the 3rd fan running at an idle speed, it is loud. Annoyingly so. The good thing is that the airflow in this thing is incredible, and more than adequate for hard charging in Florida summers.

I haven't quite figured out how to keep bugs from getting sucked in....or moderately sized birds for that matter.

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice build, like how you set it up.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks great!

The only things I would change are:

A) eliminate 3 of the fans. 2 intake and 2 exhaust should be sufficient and would cut down on the noise.

B) paint the deck a brighter color as black is the worst color you can use if it's going to be out in the hot summer sun. If you used white, the temps would be 10+ degrees cooler just from the color difference.

As for the bugs, you could try cutting and mounting some open cell foam similar to what some window air conditioners have and mounting it over the intake fans.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just in the process of planning my build and trying suss out connections for fma parallel charging board. So do connect a board and charge off to the side or charge only 2 batteries at a time with the connectors on the deck?
whatson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatson View Post
Just in the process of planning my build and trying suss out connections for fma parallel charging board. So do connect a board and charge off to the side or charge only 2 batteries at a time with the connectors on the deck?
I use squid leads. So I can charge up to 12 batteries simultaneously, with 6 per channel.

I do not use charging boards because they are too restrictive with how to place my batteries to charge. With squids I can charge on the deck or off the sides, or anywhere I want with up to 12 lipos at any time.

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...rge-cable.html

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...e-adapter.html

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers for the info. I've found a board that will mount to the deck for the board to plug into. Still want to use the board and will be able to sit infront of case or on deck as plugs will be rite at the front of the deck.
whatson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.