Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

Old 04-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
3D Dave
Registered Users

Default Bump Control App for Mac OS-X

So the Bump and iOS app are great!

The only thing I wish for with the iOS App is a slightly more powerful Bluetooth connection as I get dropouts even going 10' away if a countertop shields the signal. At the field, if I walk 15' away and my body comes between the Bump and my phone I lose the BT signal. I know the power can't be raised, however, so I'll have to live with it.

On another note, is there any chance of a Mac OS-X application to control the Bump so I can control & watch it right here on my Mac?

That would be my #1 wish right now.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
RevoKelly
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Dave View Post
So the Bump and iOS app are great!

The only thing I wish for with the iOS App is a slightly more powerful Bluetooth connection as I get dropouts even going 10' away if a countertop shields the signal. At the field, if I walk 15' away and my body comes between the Bump and my phone I lose the BT signal. I know the power can't be raised, however, so I'll have to live with it.

On another note, is there any chance of a Mac OS-X application to control the Bump so I can control & watch it right here on my Mac?

That would be my #1 wish right now.
Bluetooth range is always a challenge, and varies greatly across devices and wireless/RF conditions - some conditions allow up to 75' and others only about 10'. The intent is really just to provide a convenient wireless interface for communicating with the Bump, not necessarily remote monitoring (although we know it is often used for that). Correct, we cannot increase power and remain compliant with the BT specification. One possibility is improve antenna design/size/placement, and we've experimented with that and have seen some small gains which may be incorporated into future product, but not sure the small gains can really justify the engineering and manufacturing costs to test and implement the changes.

One feature on our backlog is the ability to "relay" real-time monitoring/control signaling or events (like end of charge) between multiple mobile devices. So the tablet mounted in your charge case could relay all of the BT signaling to your phone via WiFi-direct, or even cellular data. Thinking we would support realtime monitoring/control (i.e., all status information) or, to save data bandwidth/cost, only send significant events (i.e., charge ended, errored, etc.), with the latter possibly being done via SMS (assuming tablet is cellular-enabled) rather than a live data link. No timeframes yet, but that's what we're thinking for the future.

For Mac OSX, the cross-platform web app framework we are using doesn't currently support OSX, but if/when it does, adding support should be fairly simple.
RevoKelly is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
3D Dave
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Kelly.

I think the real-time link would be great! I also agree that the only real alerts that need to be sent are "Charge Done" or "Error".

Seeing the approximate charge time left would be nice too.

As far as OS-X, I guess I could just mount an old iPhone in a mobile mount attached to my desk, right next to my monitor.

Keep up the great work!