Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 270CFX

270CFX Blade 270CFX Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is the 270CFX for me??

Hey guys, just getting back into heli's after a long hiatus flying 3D fixed wing.

I currently have a 180CFX and a Protos 500. I am thinking I am after a heli that sits nicely between the 2 I have as the 180 gets tossed around in the winds we get, but is a nice school field flyer. But ultimately I'm looking for a heli that is more than capable, but that doesn't intimidate the hell outta me when flying up close and personal. The 500 makes me soooo tense and nervous when I'm doing any flying close in.

I've owned a 450X when I first started flying, so I'm wondering how the 270CFX flies size/stability wise with that. Is it sketchy like the 180CFX is, or more like the 450X I had of you'd have to choose one?

Any other info you could provide would be welcomed too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 05:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally think the 270 is a nice Blade heli and the best out there right now for them, although I have never flown or owned one. But, given the size range it is in and the fact that you are possibly used to a little higher quality that comes with a kit, why not consider an Oxy 3? Much more reliable and cheaper to repair and maintain.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yep, I'm considering that for sure. If I were to go Oxy3, I know I'd end up picking the top of the line components and it would be a very expensive little heli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryguy76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The great thing about an Oxy, given its size, it does not require top of the line. KST are one of the most used servos in the Oxy I think, and it is not only because it is cheap it is also durable and perfect for its size and power capacity. EOX motor is top of the line, IMO.

It wouldn't take much to get a 270 up to a better level with servo and motor change. Neither seem to be too reliable when I researched buying one at one point. Parts cost are higher.

Not bashing on Blade so much, but it is what it is. The Oxy would run a little more, but not too much if you consider replacement of the weaker parts of the 270.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Tareq edition is unnecessary bling, regular Oxy is already blinged out the Tareq has orange bling. Waste of $ IMHO unless you're big on looks and like orange, personally like the silver on the 255 and stretch better.

Kst215 or Tgy 306g servos are all you need and not sacrificing anything compared to more expensive servos.

Keep an eye on the classifieds, been some nice Oxy3's on there for around $350 with nice electronics some even setup for 6s.

Guarantee you'll be happier with the Oxy, flies awesome on 3-4 or 6s and is low maintenance and very nice to work on. 270 and the other cfx helis (cept the 180) are a PITA to work on especially getting at the rear servo, are prone to vibes and tend to eat their swashplates.

Oxy will go 1000 flights with only a belt change, worst case add a top main shaft bearing ($5 for 3 of them) and its performance is second to none. It's a rocket of absolute precision.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang it Ben, you obviously type faster than me lol

Yeah, what he said^^

Another thing is the 270 uses an odd blade size so there aren't many if any choices other than the overpriced and underquality stock blades. Also probably uses an odd bolt pattern on the motor so you have to modify the mount to put anything but another stock motor in it
Old 01-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Dang it Ben, you obviously type faster than me lol
No, I think you just have that long-winded tendency, lol

Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Decisions decisions...I couldn't decide...

So I went with Both

Nah...not really...

My wife bought the 270CFX for My birthday...

I got the Oxy 3L using the Bonus Bucks rewards from eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TopPair 001.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	688021  
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would concur with a "both" rec, for sure. I would love to fly the two to compare. Yours is 4s, right Jon?

Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
I would concur with a "both" rec, for sure. I would love to fly the two to compare. Yours is 4s, right Jon?
Lynx 2214 so yes...

But I will be using the 3S I already have for now
JonJet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The fact that you can build a decent Oxy 3 Sport for much less than a 270 makes it clear for me.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
No, I think you just have that long-winded tendency, lol
You got me there

Since when is the Oxy3 stretch the OXY3L??? Thought that was the X3...lol
Old 01-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Since when is the Oxy3 stretch the OXY3L??? Thought that was the X3...lol
He's new

Old 01-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jon must be like me and march to the beat of a different drum although it says OXY3+ not OXY3L on the stretch boom.

Oh well, his heli so he can call it whatever he wants I guess...lol
Old 01-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm gonna put a cardboard canopy on one of mine that's colored with crayons and call it the Boxy 3C. So there. Owners choice.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

How bout a 24" tailboom and call it the OXY3E/Erect or maybe the OXY3JHE/John Holmes Edition.

Oh boy, think I've exceeded my toxic fumes limit at work today.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good food for thought, fellas. Sounds like Oxy is the way to go if I'm going for a heli in this size class.

The next dilemma is Oxy3 vs X3. I've covetted the X3 for a long while. I have an rc field, so field size isn't a factor per se, but I wouldn't fly an X3 at a school field and I likely would/could fly an Oxy3 there, so that is a draw. Being able to go to a school field 1 min away is nice sometimes too. My RC field is located 10 mins away in a gravel pit, and there are some obstacles here and there that make it challenging for low to deck flight on my 500. That, and my 500 scares the crap outta me when it's near me.

Ultimately, I want a capable heli that's not micro heli twitchy that I can fly IRL like I do in the sim without needing another set of undies. The 500 isn't that heli currently. The 180CFX, while powerful for 3D, is twitchy and things I work on don't translate neutrally. I find you have to re-work the sim muscle memory specifically for the 180. I end up doing it, but then moving to the 500 and attempting the same means forgetting the 180 feel and moving back to sim feel. I'd like something smaller, stable, less intimidating that feels like the sim, more or less.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have the room to fly the X3, go for that. For me the Oxy 3 is a big back yard heli. The X3 is for a baseball or soccer field.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will find the Oxy 3 perfect. It got me out of Blade BNF helis and I really don't want to go back. I have some nice ones like the 360CFX (two blade). It was a shame it's now only sold as the trio. I know even jrman built his own custom one. And I will always keep my 230S as it was the perfect trainer and still fun as heck to fly.
The Oxy 3 though has won my heart so much I bought a second one. The first one was $300 and came with everything needed to fly. I bought it from one of the Amain reps. The second one was a completed frame for $160. So keep an eye out on the classifieds if you don't want to buy new. They sell very fast. Often they come with a plethora of spare parts too.
The Gaui will need a bit more room to fly if you go that route.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Size difference between the Oxy3 and a 450 is negligible IMO, especially the stretch and for me required basically the same amount of space as a 450 to really let it rip. It's a fast helicopter even at moderate hs.

325mm 450 blades are also the same price as the 285's for the Oxy3. If you find a great deal on a X3 before you find one on a Oxy3 then go for it. Although the Oxy is a newer design so it probably flies a little better. Also looks like they phased out the shorter tailbooms for the X3 so you may be forced into the 360 or even 380 size booms nowadays.

I don't fly anything above 180 if anyone is even remotely close by but believe 450 is still an acceptable schoolyard/park flyer as long as noone's around. 500 is the point where things start to really get dangerous. As a matter of fact a Oxy running plastic blades might injure you more severely than a 325mm 450 since cf blades will break absorbing alot of the impact and plastic blades will not.

Actually sold my Oxy3 since I had to go to the same place I fly 450's to fly it so I always ended up flying a 450 instead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in