Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would get the NX10. I think that's the only one with the ix12 gimbals. When that was released I checked one out at a hobby shop and fell in love with the feel of the gimbals. Have not been able to get one yet and was kind of let down with the slowness of the ix12. I still think it would be my best choice as I really like the DX9 ergonomics and the ix12 has basically the same case.

Anyone with the new NX radios have any feedback on ergonomics? How does it feel compared the DX9? I know it's subjective, but just looking if they didn't spoil the overall ergonomics feel or if it is actually a step in the right direction.

My DX9 just keeps on going and going though hard to let go when something just works.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone7 View Post
That's what I have been thinking too - I am not sorry that the NX8 is the last to be released.

One question - on my DX6 the firmware version flashes up in the top right hand corner of the screen during the boot process. Does the same thing happen on the NX series? Judging by the speed that the NX powers up, you would have to be quick to catch it but I am curious nonetheless.
On my NX10 I don't notice the firmware version flashing when I turn it on, maybe to quick to notice. But I definately notice it when I turn off the transmitter.
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
I would get the NX10. I think that's the only one with the ix12 gimbals. When that was released I checked one out at a hobby shop and fell in love with the feel of the gimbals. Have not been able to get one yet and was kind of let down with the slowness of the ix12. I still think it would be my best choice as I really like the DX9 ergonomics and the ix12 has basically the same case.

Anyone with the new NX radios have any feedback on ergonomics? How does it feel compared the DX9? I know it's subjective, but just looking if they didn't spoil the overall ergonomics feel or if it is actually a step in the right direction.

My DX9 just keeps on going and going though hard to let go when something just works.
Well Javier,

I too have the DX9 that I've had for about four years. If your just looking at functionality well hard to justify upgrading your DX9 that works right? But perhaps you could justify the expense by having a second transmitter that you can buddy box with your friends? Why did I get it when I really didn't need to. Well I go back to when I first purchased the DX8 gen 1 transmitter and within 18 months they came out with the DX9. Back then it was hard to justify the upgrade when the DX8 Gen 1 did everything I wanted it to. But I wanted to future proof myself and go with the future so I upgraded forgot the price but it wasn't cheap.

So my recommendation if you too want to go with the future purchase a DX10 if not wait a year or two and then upgrade perhaps. By the way I've used the heck out of my DX9 for siming and flying my models and I haven't worn out my gimbals. Truth is I probably could go for years without wearing them out, and when I did, could send the transmitter back to Horizon for replacement no?

Bottom line I purchased an NX10 because I wanted something similar to my DX9 but newer. I just didnt want to deal with the boot times of the IX12.
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

How, in your opinion, are the ergonomics of the NX10 vs the DX9? I also have a DX6, which was my first "real" radio as my 200SRX came with one and I used that until I purchased my next heli at that time: a 360 CFX. The DX9 feels much better in my hands, I use the DX6 for simming only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond1979 View Post
Well Javier,

I too have the DX9 that I've had for about four years. If your just looking at functionality well hard to justify upgrading your DX9 that works right? But perhaps you could justify the expense by having a second transmitter that you can buddy box with your friends? Why did I get it when I really didn't need to. Well I go back to when I first purchased the DX8 gen 1 transmitter and within 18 months they came out with the DX9. Back then it was hard to justify the upgrade when the DX8 Gen 1 did everything I wanted it to. But I wanted to future proof myself and go with the future so I upgraded forgot the price but it wasn't cheap.

So my recommendation if you too want to go with the future purchase a DX10 if not wait a year or two and then upgrade perhaps. By the way I've used the heck out of my DX9 for siming and flying my models and I haven't worn out my gimbals. Truth is I probably could go for years without wearing them out, and when I did, could send the transmitter back to Horizon for replacement no?

Bottom line I purchased an NX10 because I wanted something similar to my DX9 but newer. I just didnt want to deal with the boot times of the IX12.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond1979 View Post
On my NX10 I don't notice the firmware version flashing when I turn it on, maybe to quick to notice. But I definately notice it when I turn off the transmitter.
The DX9 shows that info at both power on and power off. The NX10 jumps right from a black/orange Spektrum logo to the main model screen, so it shows the info only at power off.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
I'd say the NX10 is very, very similar to a DX9.

The weight is very close with NX10 being 1 ounce lighter, when both radios have their stock battery installed. The NX6 and NX8 will be lighter because they come with smaller batteries.

I haven't noticed much change in the feel of the radio so far, although I haven't flown anything yet. I've spent time with RealFlight but I haven't been out to a field.

The biggest change I've noticed is that the shape of the cutout around Switches A and H is a little different. The area where those switches are located is recessed just a little more on the NX than it is on the DX9. That's noticeable when Switch A or H is in position 1 and Switch B or G is in position 0. There is just a little less space between the two switches to get your finger in there, and that makes it a little more likely to accidentally move Switch B or G when to go to flip A or H back to position 0. That's because the ends of A and H don't stick out from the radio quite as far as they do on the DX9. On the DX9, it's easier to just catch the end of A or H and keep your finger a little farther away from B and G. Someone at Spektrum must have noticed this along the way, as the switches used for B and G are just a bit shorter on the NX. It's not a huge difference and it's not the end of the world, it's just something to get used to. It's not like the DX9 has a huge amount of space there to begin with; you can accidently change B or G on a DX9 in the same manner. I think you just have to learn to catch A or H a little farther out on the end of the switch instead of just near the end.

There are now three buttons to the left of the screen instead of two. The third is for accessing a programmable "function bar" across the bottom of the main model screen. It's a shortcut for getting to your favorite menu options without drilling into the menus. It doesn't change the feel much, as the new button is sitting at the bottom where the DX9 has the DSMX logo.

If you get even more critical, I've noticed from the way the NX10 sits in my stand-up case that the sticks are about 1/16" farther apart on the NX10 compared to the DX9. That's not enough to make much difference.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still loving my NX10.. I have about 20 hours on time with mine and its been a great radio.

I made a small so far video series about the NX radios here.

NX Radio video Series Part 1 (4 min 52 sec)
jhamel likes this.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

NX8's are shipping in the US now. It will be interesting to see which version of firmware they come with - 3.03 or 3.04.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:45 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exactly my thoughts - the UK NX8's are due for delivery in two weeks time and I assume that the firmware version will be the same. I had a wild thought(hope?) that we might be on to 3.05 by then
Cyclone7 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2021, 06:54 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's still time. I'm sure Andy is hard at work on fixing all of the model import issues and the other stuff that's causing chatter on RCG.
Cyclone7 likes this.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

NX10 maiden test vehicle my trusty Oxy 4 max. First flight was perfect. I think the ergonomics are slightly better than my DX9, as are the plastics IMO . All the switches are easy to reach. It took about 5 minutes to setup WiFi and register, and another 15 or so to transfer models over and bind. A much improved process over the 9. Gimbals were easy to adjust to my liking, the collective stick is night and day compared to my 9. Not a hint of stickiness. With all the improvements, color screen, usb, and WiFi. It was a no brainer to upgrade. Loving life so far, only glitch Iíve noticed is the scratchy scroll wheel, Iím sure will be fixed in a future firmware upgrade. Itís a non issue IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gyropilot likes this.
Ravmano7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice!

I think the sound glitches are software and can be fixed down the road. For now, a great workaround is to silence the roller wheel completely. System Setup menu > System Settings > NEXT to page 2 > System Sounds. Then set Roller Sounds to Inhibit.
MOZENZ and Gyropilot like this.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:40 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Spektrum NX Series Radios

Iíve put about 15 flights in on my Oxy 4 max, and Kraken 580 without a hiccup yet on the new NX10. Really liking the smoothness of the new gimbals. I always had to work the collective stick on my DX9 between flights to keep it smooth. Never did the Teflon mod. Maybe itís placebo, but inputs feel more precise with the NX. Battery life is great. Iíve had the transmitter on for about six hours, and the pack still shows 4.0 volts. The only bug that Iíve noticed is the speaker popping when working the scroll wheel fast. Silencing the beep solved that, and I find it much more peaceful without the beep. Iíve kept the firmware at 3.03, and probably will wait till 3.05 comes out because of what others have reported on the RCG thread. Anyways so far so good, just need the courage to fly my 700 with it lol
Gyropilot and Cyclone7 like this.
Ravmano7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

For what it's worth, I've started building an NX FAQ in my blog at RCG.

Now we're waiting for Airware 3.05 to come out. It's expected to solve the problem where the trim settings are not importing from DX models. Don't know what else it might include.

Some people have been afraid to upgrade to 3.04, which I understand. There are some reports here and there about issues with it, but I have to believe that's a small number of people overall. Unfortunately, many of the reports are not specific enough to reproduce and then fix. I finally upgraded to 3.04 last week and so far I don't notice any new problems.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:02 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
For what it's worth, I've started building an NX FAQ in my blog at RCG.

Now we're waiting for Airware 3.05 to come out. It's expected to solve the problem where the trim settings are not importing from DX models. Don't know what else it might include.

Some people have been afraid to upgrade to 3.04, which I understand. There are some reports here and there about issues with it, but I have to believe that's a small number of people overall. Unfortunately, many of the reports are not specific enough to reproduce and then fix. I finally upgraded to 3.04 last week and so far I don't notice any new problems.
I’ve had my NX10 almost a month now, with a total system time of about 16 hours. It’s performed flawlessly on all my models, just like the DX9 it replaced. Ergonomics are so close to the 9 I don’t notice a difference with the NX in my hands even though the 10 is a little thicker.Liking the color screen that I’ve set to my liking. It’s very visible even in direct sunlight. Gimbals are super smooth after a little break in time. Since I only fly Heli’s the trim issue didn’t affect me. Still on firmware 3.03 for the same reasons, and will wait for 3.05 or maybe longer. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it lol. Altogether I’m glad I purchased the NX10, it’s a solid radio and definitely a upgrade from my DX9 BE.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree, don't upgrade if you don't have to. I'm usually a little behind on updates to let the surprises shake out. I upgraded to 3.04 because I've run into a very specific issue a couple of times that 3.04 fixes. It has nothing to do with flight; the bug was that if you make changes to settings in the Function List menu and then immediately go to export the model to an SD card without going to the main model screen first, the changes you made are not in the export and they're also not saved in the model. I do that when I'm quickly building a model for someone else, and upgrading was easier than changing my habits.

I'm confident that when we get a couple more versions along with Airware, NX will be as solid as DX was. I keep mentioning that DX9 went through several Airware upgrades in the first six months, but that was over seven years ago. All people remember now is that DX9 has been a great radio for a long time.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:10 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

NX AirWare version 3.05.03 is now available for download.
Gyropilot likes this.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

NX AirWare version 3.06.02 is now available for download.

*** NB - Airware version 3.05 MUST be installed, before attempting to install 3.06 ***

3.06 downloaded and installed itself on my NX8 without any glitches, using the Tx's Wi-Fi function.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in